Elric of Melniboné

cfmdobbie

Traveler
When I first created my 'Dot account back in July '02 I basically chose my avatar at random, but as time went on I grew attached to it. Much later I was offered a custom avatar at a larger size, but by then I just couldn't bear to part with the cheesy black knight staring back at me from all my posts. I was mildly confused when from time to time others chose the same face - but somehow I managed to cope.

But now it's time for a change - new site, new life. So, on the left of your screen you'll find the new me, Elric of Melniboné.

The Elric series by Michael Moorcock was the first "real" fantasy I read, and they remain my most fondly remembered books to this day. I was enthralled by the various artifacts of power whose possession could be a great blessing or a terrible curse, the epic struggles between Law and Chaos, and by Fate's propensity to intervene when all other hope was lost. After reading all of Elric I moved on to Moorcock's other books about the different aspects of the Eternal Champion - these books were a defining moment in my relationship with the fantasy genre, and I place them high on my list of reasons for my love affair with the written word.

I think it's high time I got around to reading them again.

I liked them too. After F. Leiber's and Tolkien's (and The Worm Ouroboros) they were my favourite fantasy books, especially the early Elriks. I have to say though that I havent touched them in a long time. Moorcock tended, in my opinion, to repeat himself.

Moorcock's writing got weird when he ran out of alcohol - which was halfways though vol 2 of Elric. He caught himself by volume 4 IIRC :). The Corum books were a more solid reading experience, but perhaps less memorable than the Elric ones (probably because of this). Moorcock said somewhere that he needed alc to write fantasy books because he wrote them for the money, but hi sheart's blood wasn't in them. I still prefer them to his SF books because I found those extremely... difficult to read.

Back
Top Bottom