Frozen State - A Survival Based Horror RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Frozen State is a new rpg on kickstarter looking for funding. The project still has 37 days left and has raised £ 7,763 of it's £60,000 goal. It's worth a look so spread the word.

It is a survival based horror RPG, which will immerse you in a Siberian, post apocalyptic wasteland. The game takes place in a secret Soviet city,which was partly destroyed. You will get by, side by side, with vicious alien hybrids, ruthless bandits and other survivors like you, who haven’t lost hope. Exploring new areas, scavenging and fighting for your life, you will be making hard choices between greater good and your personal goals, which will lead you to different outcomes.

Our inspiration comes from many sources: games like Fallout 1 and 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl, Metro 2033, Half-Life 2, Resident Evil; films The Thing, Alien(s),Prometheus, The Road, The Myst; our favorite writers Isaac Asimov, Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, Stanislaw Lem and many others.
We are making a game which will have virtually an ultimate freedom without labeling you as a bad or a good guy, a game where your actions affect the world, a game without hordes of brainless zombies, but rather with strong and dangerous enemies. The game with tense and grim atmosphere.
Thanks go to rjshae for bringing this game to my attention.
smiley-wink.gif

More information.

Last edited:
The description makes it sound better than it looks. Imo, survival-horror is much better served by a 1st or 3rd person camera view.

The zoomed-out overhead view they're using makes it harder for me to become immersed, and immersion is the most important aspect for this type of game.

Hint: If you're trying to market your game - don't mention Prometheus as a source of inspiration :)

Hint: If you're trying to market your game - don't mention Prometheus as a source of inspiration :)
To each there own Prometheus wasn't that bad. ;) A second movie is coming out so it made enough money to be successful to someone.

Don't go there ;)
I'll go there bring it on.:) Though it was just an average movie my family loved it. Don't know why? The whole alien and predator franchise is in a slump lately.

I'm not impressed over anything shown in this project at all.
In fact, can't see me playing it and enjoying the experience (of driving a car, man, if I wanted to drive a car in a game I would play need/speed not RPGs).

I'm putting it on hold, will check updates and back it if something does attract me in the end.

I'll go there bring it on.:) Though it was just an average movie my family loved it. Don't know why? The whole alien and predator franchise is in a slump lately.

IIRC, my IMDB review of Prometheus gets listed as the first user review - so you can go there for my opinion ;)

Funny, I didn’t see these criticisms for Dead State. This looks like a good game, and with a digital copy for $10 you can’t go wrong.

The usual grumblers do the usual grumbling. :D

What I've read of it looks pretty good. The setting is an appropriate one for the genre, possessing a harsh environment with many survival threats. Proper fear elements for the horror setting can be created by establishing emotional links with the survivors, in combination with appropriate music, sound, pacing, and lighting to generate the mood. True, it may not become quite as darkly immersive as a FPS of the same type, but I think this can work and the price is right. One concern I have is with some of the writing; the grammar is painful in places.

I agree with JDR13' I can't get the whole horror thing (immersion) with that camera perspective.

Also, listing games like Fallout 1 and 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl, Metro 2033 and Half-Life 2 is probably setting the bar too high for what they will be able to achieve ( with their budget )and ultimately lead to disappointment.

As far as the dead state comparison, my main draw to that would be the turn based combat not the horror aspect. So the camera perspective wouldn't bother me there.

I liked Prometheus. Sure there were plot holes you could fly the Nostromo through, but I would watch it just for the design.

Do I have to add a ;) when I mention that movie?

I prefer first person if it's horror, but it actually can work in top-down view too, I hope they will take a look at Project Zomboid. That'll do them a lot more good than replaying Half Life or Stalker to try to find ideas or inspiration ;)

Anyways, not too often we get top-down horror RPG's, certainly worth giving it a shot considering the small amount of $.. Could turn out really good.

Back
Top Bottom