DA:O What's Dragon Age like on the 360?

Dragon Age: Origins

human_male

Math and girls is hard.
I'm keen to play this game but I'm worried what it will be like on the 360 so I wondered if someone is playing the 360 version what is your opinion? Do you have any concerns?

I heard the graphics aren't as good as the PC version, how bad are they?

How does it perform?

And what are the controls like? It would seem like a supremely difficult game to control with a controller what with the party commands and all the character and inventory screens and whatnot. How does it play in that regard?

Also Risen if anyone happens to play the 360 version of that as well.

Thanks very much.

My friend Matt at VGBlogger wrote about it here ... but his is on PS3 because his X360 RROD'd on him ...

I'm only a few hours into it, so take this FWIW, but I'm finding the controls challenging and a bit awkward, especially switching between party members, targeting enemies, and cueing up spells/attacks. I'm not sure if it's the interface, the inherent complexity of it, a learning curve thing, or just me, but I'm finding it a bit cumbersome at the moment. I'm betting that it's a learning curve/complexity thing, and once I become more familiar with it, I'll be okay. But so far it feels a bit awkward.

I don't have any issues with the graphics. I'm sure it looks better on a good PC, but I'm fine with what it looks like on the 360. I'm not too demanding when it comes to graphics, though.

I would get the PC version if at all possible. The mods for the PC should be pretty nice, the graphics are a bit better (see GameTrailers), and the controls are better. Plus it's $10 cheaper. More for less!

I would get the PC version if at all possible. The mods for the PC should be pretty nice, the graphics are a bit better (see GameTrailers), and the controls are better. Plus it's $10 cheaper. More for less!

That video was handy, thanks. I couldn't tell any difference really, could you?

What I definitely didn't like though was the big rings under everything's feet in combat. I absolutely hate that in any game! I suppose the PC version will have a mod to turn it off but my PC is quite modest and I don't think it will run it at anything other than the most basic settings. Although I have recently played Age of Conan on it and found the preformance very good on quite reasonable details except in settlements where it chugs. Thing is I don't want to risk buying not a game not knowing how it will run, or downloading a huge demo. So it's either gonna be the 360 version or nothing.

Maybe I'll wait and see if I can rent it first.

Thanks again everyone.

I broke down and got the xbox 360 version before I could upgrade my pc. Personally, I'm slightly dissappointed in the graphics, but I guess on the pc they are a little behind as well. They're not bad at all, mind, but I was blown away by mass effect so I guess I was expecting more. On the other hand, there's happening more on screen so it's expected. The faces are just inferior, but mass effect's were amazing so it's okay.

Character models and animation are really good, though. Landscapes are not the quality I have come to expect in modern games.

Controls are not bad. Issuing multile commands can be a little cumbersome but I advise you to enable the setting where you don't have to hold down the left trigger all the time to bring up the radial menu. I guess all this is faster and more comfortable on pc though.

I miss the camera controls that are on pc. You can't zoom out for an overview or to enjoy the view on xbox. It all works well enough but the freedom of pc controls is obviously better. They did a good job with the console version, so don't take this all as one big negative. I like the easy laid back dialogue menus that I find more cumbersome to navigate with mouse and keyboard.

Load times are bearable and not so annoying really. Not instantanious but not too immersion breaking.

It's enjoyable on xbox so don't worry. Just know what you're getting and missing out on. On pc you will have more options and the user generated content. I just broke down and went ahead so I could play right away. :) something consoles are very good at of course. Pop in DVD and play. :)

Thanks to all who responded.

I bought the game and so far so good. There are a few things I don't like about it but as far as the controls go I find it quite easy. It does take a bit of shuffling through screens to get where you want but that can't be helped I suppose. The one thing that troubles me is it should be a lot easier to switch weapon sets. Is it possible to assign that command to the battle menu?

Also, the D pad seems to be under utilised. Hitting up switches targets, but that's the only thing. Why not map the other directions to inventory, character sheet ect?

Anyway, one thing I've noticed about the graphics is the colours seem washed out. I'm playing on a Philips 19" CRT (I know, I'm looking for a good LCD to replace it) which is a good monitor. But the colours in the game are very bland. Has anyone else noticed that?

Thanks again.

Anyway, one thing I've noticed about the graphics is the colours seem washed out. I'm playing on a Philips 19" CRT (I know, I'm looking for a good LCD to replace it) which is a good monitor. But the colours in the game are very bland. Has anyone else noticed that?.

That exact thing has been mentioned in multiple reviews I've read. It seems to be a general opinion that the colors look a bit washed on the Xbox. The PS3 version looks better, but doesn't run as smooth as on the Xbox.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6239466/index.html?tag=topslot;thumb;4

Back
Top Bottom