Morrowind Back to Morrowind

I actually fired up Morrowind recently to compare it to Gothic 1 and 2. I honestly thought Gothic had trouble aging, Morrowind felt so sluggish I gave up in the first cave. I might give it another go in a few weeks, but then I'll be using the overhaul mod or similar.

Speaking of which, I've been unable to find exactly what mods the overhaul installs. Is there such a list? I refuse to install mods without knowing exactly what they do, as modders tend to affect the game balance whenever they're not exclusively affecting the appearance of the world.

This inspires me to crank it up again. Could I trouble the gurus for a specific list of mods please?

I tend to run with a small number of "convenience mods" that bring it a bit more in line with recent games and generally remove some of the things that annoy me on a replay. The MGSO is a must-have, just for the enhanced viewing distance.

After that, I'd go with Speed and Stamina to move a bit faster.

You may also want to grab a magicka regeneration mod to make playing as a mage a bit more like Skyrim and Oblivion. Fair Magicka Regen is a popular one.

After that, it's just working out what you like and don't like. I use MADD leveller to get rid of the skill increase/attribute micromanagement, for example.

Once you play a bit you might want to look at one of the multi-mark mods to make getting around a bit faster. For a really serious playthough I might skip that, though.

(The Nexus seems to be down, so I'm putting in some old links I found. They should still work.)

I actually fired up Morrowind recently to compare it to Gothic 1 and 2. I honestly thought Gothic had trouble aging, Morrowind felt so sluggish I gave up in the first cave. I might give it another go in a few weeks, but then I'll be using the overhaul mod or similar.

Speaking of which, I've been unable to find exactly what mods the overhaul installs. Is there such a list? I refuse to install mods without knowing exactly what they do, as modders tend to affect the game balance whenever they're not exclusively affecting the appearance of the world.

There used to be a list buried deep down in the documentation somewhere, but it doesn't actually change much about the gameplay. I think one of the included mods makes a few small changes to address bugs with picking pockets and tweak some controls, but you can find all of those and turn them off if you want. You don't have worry about every iron dagger suddenly doing a million points of damage or anything. :p

A fresh start
DvckCD7.png

My light-battlemage. I kind of miss all the funky combinations of armor you could come up with.
4Gx9ewI.png

Ah, the memories ... :)

Now this is my kind of Nord village.
mFM7uYq.png

I still think this is the prettiest TES game.
U7R1cmJ.png

There's always something cool on the horizon. Well, once you mod it to let you see the horizon.
1weY33n.png

There's always something cool on the horizon. Well, once you mod it to let you see the horizon.

This made me lol.

I still prefer Morrowind my self. It just had more freedom in term of look, spells making, customization in general. Even the world felt more "real" despite being full of strange monsters and almost no VO. Every time I play Skyrim, I get annoyed that I can't make my own spells, that my look is defined mostly by the "torso" piece I'm wearing. NPCs don't have much to say either.

Also, Morrowind is the only game where an NPC enemy returned one of the my throwing knife back at me in a fight. One of the my best gaming experience.

and now I'm tempted to replay it. hmmm....

Back
Top Bottom