Thief 4 - Storyboard Art

I have to admit that: I am a Thief fan boy. I simply love all three episodes (Shalebridge Cradle is still one of the best levels in my opinion) and I can't wait for Thief 4 to come to light... Oops, to stand in the shadow I mean :D.

thief 4 could have adverts for transformers and taco bell in it and i would also still buy it on day one.

Can someone explain the appeal of Thief to me and which is the best one in your opinion?

I played the first one for about thirty minutes and gave up because I did not like sneaking. All that waiting around used to drive me nuts, but I'm starting to get a new appreciation for sneaking past an enemy or a silent take-down. Mostly thanks to Batman: Arkham Asylum and Deus EX: HR.

Can someone explain the appeal of Thief to me and which is the best one in your opinion?

The intense consistent atmosphere, The very good steampunk setting, the well executed
stealth gameplay and finally the gruff compelling antihero character of Garrett.

If none of this grabs you, better give it a pass.

My personal favourite is thief 2 closely followed by the much maligned #3 (I loved the mostly open ended hub structure and the city atmosphere was great. A pity for the small maps though).

for me out of any franchise picking a favourite is the toughest with thief. they all have their appeal though i will agree the first game may be the toughest to get into. i'd start with 3 as it captures the setting of the first 2 games while being more "accessible". theif 2x was also a really great "fan expansion" in a way as it captured the same style even though you played as a female thief. the atmosphere of thief is great though unlike deus ex you can never take the full combat approach and i hope they keep that with thief 4. from stalking the dark corridors, playing the game of shadows to either stay hidden or put out torchs, the ecosystem of the game with the guards, etc. that not only chat amongst themselves in interesting fashion but also respond to your noises and your actions is both impressive and at time amusing. to me the only other series that captures that feel is bioshock which is no suprise that ken levine was involved with both.

@Skavenhorde
There was a nice little Thief thread earlier in the year that had some discussion on the series. Might be worth a read for someone not sure on what the appeal is. JonNik hits it dead on as well.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12767

For overall sneaking simulationism with the additional aesthetically pleasing aspect of assassination, I actually have a soft spot for the Tenchu series. Extremely different from the thief experience, but a very relevant mention if one is discussing sneaking as a part of gameplay. Due to their slightly esoteric control scheme though, they're not for everyone and the same of which can be said for Thief.

What I liked about Thief was the concept and the execution of it.

Looking Glass dedicated themselves to a relatively simplistic gameplay structure, but they did it with tremendous skill. The implementation of stealth, and the atmosphere of thievery in a fantasy/steampunk environment was handled in such a way that you couldn't help but be immersed.

That said, I always felt the games were too "pure" and simple for me - as I tend to prefer gameplay that evolves and expands as you progress. In Thief - you pretty much knew what the game had to offer in terms of mechanics and toys within the first few levels. Which meant that there were fewer things to look forward to - and though I loved the challenge of sneaking around and finding all the loot - there wasn't much to gain from it. As in, I'd have liked a more expanded structure - with character leveling and more profound gear upgrades. More RPG - and I'd love to see them go further with what Thief 3 did, with a more freeform style and a larger city to roam free in.

Thanks guys, appreciate the viewpoints. It seems with old age my taste in games is refining. A stealthy approach appeals a little more to me now than a blast the heck out of them approach I normally take. The thrill of sneaking past a guard or taking down one while another is a few feet away is much more fun than it used to be.

I thought this might be on GoG, but was mistaken. I did find the whole collection on Amazon for 12 dollars.

thief 4 could have adverts for transformers and taco bell in it and i would also still buy it on day one.
Second that.
My favorite Thief game was No.2, not least because I was so afraid of the Children of Karras.

I disliked the robots. Thief was the best for me. Down in the Bone Horde & Return to the Cathedral were fantastic. It's not as pretty but the level layouts are much better to me. Of course Thief 2 is easier to run and has a few hundred mods better than the original game…

But I'll take undead (and other weird crap) over Robots any day.

Back
Top Bottom