Mount & Blade - Review @ Boomtown

Dhruin

SasqWatch
It's not clear if this review is on the final release, with Boomtown enjoying the combat in Mount & Blade but finding the lack of storyline an issue. The score is 7/10 and here's a major criticism:
This is the first major problem with the game. Open ended story telling is great but when you're dropped off in a game with nothing but your own imagination it falls apart. After I had seen my fair share of Calradia I became disillusioned with my character. The fact that there is no main storyline means that my character lacks direction and a purpose. I just ended up wondering what the point of his existence was and why I bother ransacking this and laying siege to that? Boring and dull side quests further dampen my experience. Most Lords seen to give identical quests that always have the same out come. A perfect example is when you're asked to track down a murder. Just look for the guy in the village with a weapon. He is the only one and when you just introduce yourself he confesses and attacks you. It's the same outcome each time. I wasn't expecting a Nancy Drew mystery but something with a bit more drama and detective work would have been nice. It must be said that not all side quests are dull and getting involved with some devious lords can introduce you to some interesting ones. It's just a shame they are in the minority.
More information.

Ouch. This paragraph is truly a killer for me if echoed in other reviews. I would not enjoy a game described by this paragraph almost regardless of anything else.

That was also my main criticism when I played the 0.695 version. It seems they've not improved it dramatically in the final version.
But I will definitely be playing M&B once again. The combat, strategy and character development systems in this indie title are simply great.

The game is a wonderful mounted combat simulator. Isn't that enough?

Well, everything in that paragraph is correct. There's no main story and no hand-crafted quests in v.1.0 of Mount & Blade. In this regard, it's pretty much identical to the last beta, at least as far as I can tell.

Having said that, it's still as addictive as it ever was, and I would say the focus is more on creating your own story than it is on experiencing someone else's story.

Review is correct. Not much storyline. It is not an RPG, it is more like action RPG - RTS strategy hybrid. Map - RTS, combat - action RPG. Even with this, story is rather lacking. I personally enjoy war simulation part more than anything else.

But there are plenty of excellent 3rd party mods. Like "The Last Days", which is, i dare to say, better then anything ever created on War of the Rings. I played it numerous times for 0.808. I hope they convert it to release. Also in development mods about Crusades, 100-years war, viking invasions 800 AD. All have authentic weapons and armour, maps, castles, lords.

Tons of small mods, changing weapon stats, troops' stats, etc. Here is the link to the official forums.
http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,41715.0.html

So it's basically a RTS game with good mounted combat. How is exploration? Can you go anywhere and do anything? Is there lots of treasure to find, skill choices to make, alchemy, crafting, magic spells, priest spells, etc? If not, then it's really what I'd call a crpg. YMMV

So it's basically a RTS game with good mounted combat.

More or less. There are stats, which influence game play profoundly. Like if you have athletics skill of 1, and wear plate you will walk very slow. Riding influences speed and maneuverability of your horse. There is character development, like your choices define what you can and can't do in the game. There is a party, members contribute their skills to the game. They do or don't like your actions and other party members. Like some oppose to looting and burning and killing of innocent peasants. Others don't care. That kind of thing.

How is exploration? Can you go anywhere and do anything?
Yes. But not in CRPG sense. There are no zones, NPCs with quests and rewards. This part is rather rudimentary. I think there are 4 or 5 reoccurring quests in the game.

Is there lots of treasure to find, alchemy, crafting, magic spells, priest spells, etc?
Not in the stock game. All can be and was modded though. I still play once in a while very unfinished mod named Darklands (remember Microprose DOS gem?). There are magic mods, firearms mods, etc.

You see i keep saying mods. The game itself was initially just a modkit done by a single guy, then i think he got his wife helping, then another guy. They really improved it, put in some storyline bits. But that's it. You have 5 kingdoms. Go fight. That' the official campaign.

Demo is free BTW, go check 0.960, it's almost release quality (release has improved textures, different castles, beautification of the interface, but core game play is the same). If I would rate the game it is 6/10 as is, and 9/10 with mods.

Last edited:
So it's basically a RTS game with good mounted combat.
More like Action-RPG with RTS elements
How is exploration? Can you go anywhere and do anything?
Pretty much, yes. It's a wide open world full of wars, robbers, caravans, needy peasants, greedy lords. The major criticism is that there isn't much direction or story.
Is there lots of treasure to find
Even better, lots of treasure to take, muahaha.
skill choices to make
Quite a few, yes, depending on whether you want to be a trader, archer, healer, slaver, fighter, diplomat or combinations thereof.
alchemy, crafting, magic spells, priest spells
No. It's set in a fictionalized version of 12th-13th century Europe. No magic.

Back
Top Bottom