Heat!

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Alrighty, the weather in the US is getting plain ridiculous. I thought it'd be "fun" to post temperatures from around the globe during this glorious summer.

In my home city of St. Louis, Mo, USA it has been over 100 degrees fahrenheit for 7 days straight. This is 37.8 or higher celsius. Our highest temperature during the span is 108/42.2 What's yours?

I live in Lyons,Illinois and we made a few records so far. Yesterday was 101 today will be 102 and tomorrow will be 100 again.

I'm already tired of summer. So far we have had 20+ days over 90. That's more than we ever had in any summer.

That's not factoring in the drought and lack of rain.

Denmark - and we have ~25 degrees celsius during out hottest days at the moment.

I generally don't like heat - and I feel downright claustrophobic or oppressed when it goes beyond 30 degrees.

So, I'm very happy that most of the summer has been rain and relatively cold weather around here.

Denmark - and we have ~25 degrees celsius during out hottest days at the moment.

I generally don't like heat - and I feel downright claustrophobic or oppressed when it goes beyond 30 degrees.

So, I'm very happy that most of the summer has been rain and relatively cold weather around here.

Same here, only my limit is slightly above 20.

pibbur who plays Skyrim with permanent rain.

EDIT: I mean slightly above 393.16, of course

I heard about serious bush fires (not THAT Bush !) in the U.S. … Is this normal, or is the heat increasing over the years ? Climate Change ?

Germany has become separated into two parts over the last years :

- heat in the south
- no heat, but rather lots of water coming down in the middle & the north

Right now - I'm living in the middle - the weather changes between heat (but never reaching the 30 degrees Celsius mark !) and cloudy weather with rain (with the temparature falling drastically; I've been actually freezing/feeling cold late an evening !)

The middle usually has lots of clouds passing by, but no often rain, but no real heat either. The humidity in he air is often quite high. The weather changed within a week from one extreme to the other.

The north is a bit more balanced, but the underlying problem (no real het, it rains often) remains.

It's the south in which the people moan over the heat. And especially the Alps area which used to be rather cool.

We have had one of the worst early summer in parts of Sweden, constant raining and 10 C.
Its getting better though, about 24 degrees here in Uppsala today and rather nice.

I don't mind heat, as long as I'm not supposed to be creative.
Took a break during my university studies and worked on a project in Sudan. It burned in some heat resistance (never below 40 degrees C in 4 months)

Its not the heat that is hard to bear, its when you have a combination of heat and high air moisture.
That is plain horrible, strangling and claustrophobic.

C

Summer fires are normal in the western part of the US every year. But the number, extent, and early start to them is unusual this year because of the lack of rain. What makes it worse is that many people are building homes in remote areas that make it difficult to prevent the fires from getting to the homes.

And this has been a record breaking year where I live too. We went over 100 F yesterday for only the 3rd time in the 30 years I have lived here.

I heard about serious bush fires (not THAT Bush !) in the U.S. … Is this normal, or is the heat increasing over the years ? Climate Change ?

Some experts say it is and I wouldn't doubt if that's some part of the reason. The reason for the fires though is due to half of the US is facing drought situations.

I saw this coming since winter was below normal also for allot of areas.

sdohomeweb.gif

Last edited:
It's been baking in NYC. Steady 85-95 every day. The only saving grace is that there has been virtually no humidity, which is very odd for this area. Being from Texas, I can generally handle heat, but heat+humidity is a killer.

Plus since you walk so much here, you can't escape it. When I lived in Dallas, sure it was 112 outside, but I got up in my air conditioned apartment, walked in an air conditioned hallway, spent maybe 15 seconds in the un-air conditioned parking garage, drove in my air conditioned car, got out in my office's un-air conditioned parking garage and spent another 15 seconds there, then spent all day in my air conditioned office.

Here I have a 10 minute walk to the subway, the platforms aren't air conditioned and the cars are about 50/50 on if it is working, then I get off on another un-air conditioned platform, walk up three flights of stairs then another 10 minute walk to my office. Thank God I don't have to wear suits to work everyday anymore!

Heat? Come visit me in Southwest Florida.. I'll show you heat. :)

OK. As long as I only have to see the heat and not feel it.

pibbur who because of the 298K's outside and the fact that he's out of liquid Nitrogen, doesn't make much sense

This last winter wasn't bad for NYC, but I will never forget my first year watching someone cross country ski down the center of 3rd avenue.

Last edited:
Depending on where you're at JDR, I'll trade. Most of south florida is in the 80's today with a heat index of 89-90. St. Louis actual temperature is 103 right now :D

Yeah, we've been lucky down here because of all the rain the past few weeks. There's been constant winds that have been keeping the temperatures down a bit, but the humidity is a real bitch.

It's pretty weird actually.. last week it was hotter in Chicago than here. You don't see that very often. Global warming is gonna get us. :cool:

The strange thing (which was predicted by the climatologists, actually), is that southern california would get more rain and become less desert-like as a result of global warming. It's been very pleasant here while most of the country has experienced the heat wave.

The heats not bad for me yet. Its about 90 F where I am but the humidity is a little high. I ride my bike quite a bit so the heat doesn't affect me as much as most people.

Last year I did a ride at 115 F and that was to high for me. I was handling 110 degree days before that just fine.

Back
Top Bottom