Gamasutra - Top 5 Developers of 2007

Dhruin

SasqWatch
BioWare and 2K Boston/Australia (Irrational) get knods in Gamasutra's Top 5 Developers of 2007:
While it may verge on the over-complex in some gameplay mechanics, BioWare's masterful Mass Effect feels like a genuine space opera. It has whirling emotions and a genuine story arc - so genuine, in fact, that you start to realize how basic the story in many other games is.

In addition, the character customization using Unreal Engine 3 made players even more acutely aware of their immersion in the action. And with fruits from Dragon Age to the 'mysterious' MMO still due under new taskmaster Electronic Arts, one can't help but think that the golden age of BioWare's story-driven epics has only just begun.
More information.

It has whirling emotions and a genuine story arc - so genuine, in fact, that you start to realize how basic the story in many other games is

Oh puh-leeze. I have Mass Effect, and I like it, but it's no planescape torment story-wise.

While haven't played ME, it seems you can always count on seeing most game sites towing the console line, by misleading there readers by leaving out key phrases like "Best Console Game......." instead it's "Best Game........". Clearly there are differences and the sites know better, so it's intended manipulation.

Btw what could "over-complex in some gameplay mechanics" mean in a console game? Is this some reference to what I hear people saying that the fighting isn't very fun, iirc?

This "developer of the year" award sounds like basically a proxy for "game of the year", since anyone who's eligible probably released just one game.

Back
Top Bottom