Age of Grit - A Cowboy Steampunk RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Age of Grit is a new Cowboy Steampunk RPG kickstarter from a small developer called iqSoup, and they are asking for $12,000 with thirty two days left.

In Age of Grit, you play the captain of a steampunk airship adventuring across a cowboy inspired fantasy world! AOG is a strategic RPG with a heavy emphasis on meaningful dialog and rich story. The game features fully upgradeable ship components, a novel combat system, and a crew you can level up via detailed progression elements. The ship's crew are smugglers running various jobs just to scrape by—kind of think Firefly you'll be living aboard a steampunk airship rather than a spaceship flying to cowboy towns rather than planets.
More information.

Last edited:
Finally, a Steampunk RPG on Kickstarter that has my interest (i.e., isn't an RPGmaker game). It's not exactly the spiritual successor to Arcanum I'm still hoping gets made someday, but the Firefly-esque Wild Western Steampunk is cool in its own right. Backed.

I also love their statement on quests:

A lot of RPGs suffer from mundane quest systems. You're trying to save the world from impending doom, but you put it all on hold to do menial chores for random villagers with exclamation points floating over their heads. Maybe they want you to pause your epic journey to Mordor in order to gather a few dozen bunny pelts. You skip through the dialog as fast as possible and then follow the blinking light on your minimap to wherever you're supposed to go. You don't really care about the quest and often don't even remember why you're doing it in the first place. Talk to an exclamation point…kill some faceless bad guys…return to the exclamation point for your reward…repeat 500 times to beat the game.

In AOG, quests will be more organic and a lot more meaningful. Missions won't just be spoon-fed to you. You'll need to actually talk to people, earn their trust, and figure things out on your own a bit. For example, perhaps you come across the owner of a coal mine who happens to have a few dozen crates of extra dynamite he's looking to offload. Can you convince him to sell to you? Do you trust this guy? Do you know anyone who might be in the market for dynamite? Is his price even that good? What's your reputation like in this area? What about the authorities—will the local sheriff look kindly on dynamite smuggling? Every quest will be unique and offer a distinct and interesting challenge.

Rather than mindlessly looking for the next floating exclamation point you'll have to use your brain (GASP!) and actually make things happen on your own. AOG is all about player freedom and facilitating naturally flowing gameplay. You can take the jobs you want and do what seems best to you—rather than being railroaded down a single linear path.

Looks like a neat game and has my interest.

HOWEVER - DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER

The lead programmer on this game is also on the lead programmer on another kickstarter game I pledged to . . . . Boon Hill
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1607565961/welcome-to-boon-hill

That game is a year late and its premise and concept are very very simple. I'm hopeful but irritated.

If you still want to pledge, I would recommend the minimal amount and bump up later during development AFTER Boon Hill comes out. Yeah, Yeah we're only talking lead developer and not game designer . . . but . . . I'm just sayin'

Good point Dajjer. I should send them an email and ask what they have to say about that.

Looks like a neat game and has my interest.

HOWEVER - DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER

The lead programmer on this game is also on the lead programmer on another kickstarter game I pledged to . . . . Boon Hill
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1607565961/welcome-to-boon-hill

That game is a year late and its premise and concept are very very simple. I'm hopeful but irritated.

If you still want to pledge, I would recommend the minimal amount and bump up later during development AFTER Boon Hill comes out. Yeah, Yeah we're only talking lead developer and not game designer . . . but . . . I'm just sayin'

I checked out the latest update of Boon Hill (August 18) and it's project creator / lead designer is taking full responsibility for the delay. It seems any programming on Boon Hill is mostly finished and it's up to the pixel artist / Boon Hill lead to finish the testing, final tweaks, and stuff. It does look like a really simple concept that shouldn't have taken so long, but of course when you're operating on a shoe string budget and people are probably juggling multiple projects / day jobs etc. delays can happen.

Thanks for the warning. I'm gonna keep my pledge low due to the natural skepticism of new development teams but I'm not too worried here.

I don't see the problem with having to stop to do chores on your way to saving the world since if you just keep going how are you supposed to make it without money to buy food and replace your rotting equipment. It is much worse to die halfway to Mordor then to do some chores. The way they do it could be better in games but it shouldn't be removed and should instead be made so you can feel the need to do those chores more.

I love the concept, but I'm curious about what you'll actually get to do besides the airship battles. He mentions exploring towns in a 2D first-person view, but it sounds like the towns are just static screens with a few NPCs to click on.

I like what he said about quests, but I'll need to know more about the actual gameplay before pledging.

Howdy folks!

Andy from iqSoup here! I really appreciate your comments.

I'll try to explain a bit about the non-combat gameplay elements. Its a question I've been getting a lot and hopefully I can articulate things a bit better. I'll try to update the KS to explain things in more depth, but for now let me try to explain what the non-combat gameplay will be like.

Have any of you played a game called Freelancer for PC--maybe about 10 years ago? I really sucked at the combat elements but loved the idea of just flying around the galaxy, trading with people, getting jobs here and there, and over time earning more money and upgrading my ship. I've had the idea of a steampunk version of Freelancer for a long time now.

The same thing is also what appealed to me about Firefly--they're not always having epic space adventures--most episodes just started with something simple or mundane and went from there. Sometimes they were just shipping a bunch of cattle and the whole episode revolved around that. Or there's one where the ship breaks down and they are trying not to run out of air.

So the point of the entire game is to capture that same sort of feeling. You and your crew, flying around, talking to people at various stops, trying to get jobs etc. That's going to be the focus of the game. Now at each town there's not going to be a massive 3d world to explore. I'd love to do something like that, but its just not realistic and its outside the scope of our current budget. That's not the point anyways--the towns are just a means to an end: a backdrop for NPC interaction. As you walk around you'll talk to people, try to get jobs, buy and sell commodities, upgrade your ship etc. Not all the NPC stuff will go on in towns--on your ship you'll be able to interact with your ships crew and use the ships comms system to contact other ships or people.

Its largely up to you how your going to deal with people and what you say and do will matter. You might offend someone and miss out on whatever job they had to offer you. Some people might be wary of you due to a certain reputation. Other people might love you for one reason or another and be quite helpful.

So that's the game! Its a simple enough game and given our budget it needs to be. To break the game down there's the towns and NPCs therein, there's your ship you can walk around on, there's the combat system, and then there's a over world map you use to travel from one town to town. We have some stretch goals we're going to unveil soon, some of them are for various mini games and other activities, but what I described above is essentially the entire game. It might sound a little simple but a lot of great games are built on very simple foundations. Heck look at Pokemon or even the Final Fantasy games--very simple when you really think about it but they do so much with those simple underlying systems.

Hope I could be of help and hope that answers some questions for everyone! Let me know if you have any comments, suggestions, or further questions!

Wow, Thanks Andy. your project is coming very close to sounding like Sundog and that is a damn good thing.

Sundog had battles in space, and some mundane planetary buying and selling and dealing with a ton of ship upgrades.

I am even more interested now . . . . .

YEA ME, 1000 posts and it only took 8 years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom