The Witcher 2 - 1.7M Sold

In the US, however, which is where most of the Witcher 2 sales came from,

They did ? I always thought that the majority of sales came from Eastern Europe ?

They did ? I always thought that the majority of sales came from Eastern Europe ?

I stand corrected - it seems the majority of packaged retail PC discs were sold in Europe (440k units vs. 200k units in the US).

There is not any information about the country of origin for PC digital download sales, and a bit more Xbox 360 units were sold in the US (200k vs. 150k in Europe), but it would seem that overall, the game did better in the European market.

Only for GOG, which was a fraction of TW2 digital sales compared to Steam.
No, all digital. CDP is the publisher on Steam, not Atari. Valve gets their cut, but that's it.
At any rate, since CD Projekt derives a lot of revenue from other sources, like distribution of movies and third party games in Eastern Europe, maybe they are still doing just fine even if The Witcher 2 was not very profitable.
I'm not sure TW2 is "not very profitable". CDP is going for relatively high price sales for a long time. I doubt the projection was higher than 1.7M units for close to full price within such a short time. They'll easily double or triple this number down the line, for a lower price.

No, all digital. CDP is the publisher on Steam, not Atari. Valve gets their cut, but that's it.

Perhaps I didn't explain clearly, but my comment was referring to the fact that the majority of the digital sales were sold through Steam, not self distributed via GOG. In other words, the more profitable direct digital sales via CDP's subsidiary (GOG) were limited to a fraction of the digital sales.

I'm not sure TW2 is "not very profitable".

I'm not privy to CDP's internal marketing budgets, but judging by the scope of the separate Witcher 2 campaigns for PC and the subsequent Xbox launch, it seems questionable.

If it turns out that 1.7m units is a profitable result for them, then that is great news. In any case, they have other sources of revenue from distributing movies and third party games, and perhaps TW2 is a sort of "loss leader" that helps them to pave the way for future titles.

Back
Top Bottom