Bioshock 2 - Tidbits

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Alrik sends in this video of Tom's Hardware opening the giant (seriously, the box is so big you could use it as a coffee table) Bioshock 2 Special Edition, so let's round this out with comments from MTV on whether we've seen the last of Rapture:
No. The whole argument of 'BioShock 2' is that you can zoom in on a personal story within that mysterious setting. I think Rapture's a very fertile place. That said, if you follow the whole backstory, it is intricate as all get out. The amount of space within there to move around and to build idealogs gone wrong, like Ryan and Lamb, gets trickier each time you add one.
"So much of the backstory comes from the past, so on some level you're retconning it, which you have to be very careful about. Finding areas that were untapped…periods in Rapture's history that were not spoken that much about. That's what we did for this game. There were utopian years here, and we wanted to tell the story of the disenfranchised even within the capitalist good times.
"I wouldn't say that we've told the story of Rapture. I will say that now we've had two very long, healthy stories in it, so that makes it more challenging for me.
More information.

It speaks for the first game if it becomes difficult to create a credible sequel. People may disagree about the quality of the Bioshock experience, but I think we all agree that it is a whole and complete experience.

As it looks right now I won't buy Bioshock 2. Several reviews now stated that the sequel lacks the mystery of the first part because of the familiarity of Rapture. If 2K really wants another sequel, I hope they move it away from Rapture.

RApture has a lot of potential. In the start of the game, the first time you go underwater you see a scenery view of the city of rapture and its massive. You can't help but wonder how cool would be some places like those big buildings, etc. The problem is that in bioshock 2 the diferent environments arent as rich as in bioshock 1 (remember the awesome green-house?), and are just a copy/paste of the same environments.

The only massive variation is when you go in the water, but unfortunately they are nothing more than scripted paths with no action.

All in all, the game had a lot of potential, but bioshok 2 is just "more of the same", with 2k devs to take all the blame for lack of creativity.

Talk about a waste of potential here...

The only massive variation is when you go in the water, but unfortunately they are nothing more than scripted paths with no action.

That's very disappointing to hear, I was really hoping the underwater sections were as fun as they looked in the promotional videos.

I liked the first game enough to give the sequel a try, but I'll probably wait for a price drop first.

The special edition is selling for $90 on gogamer. Ninety bucks. That's actually more than my current coffee table cost. ;)

I agree, no interest what so ever.

I am really enjoying this game, as I did the original, very much for what it is. A simple shooter/adventure game with a strong sense of atmosphere, linear exploration, and a decent storyline.

However, playing this has made me all the more aware that when you really break them down, this game is really as much of an rpg as ME2 is. Not sure why one is consider the the future of rpgs and the other not one at all. And to make my point clear, I feel pretty strongly that Bioshock 1 or 2 is not anything near an rpg or really claims to be so. Don't really get the prevalence of this apparently accepted cognitive dissonance?

However, playing this has made me all the more aware that when you really break them down, this game is really as much of an rpg as ME2 is. Not sure why one is consider the the future of rpgs and the other not one at all. And to make my point clear, I feel pretty strongly that Bioshock 1 or 2 is not anything near an rpg or really claims to be so. Don't really get the prevalence of this apparently accepted cognitive dissonance?

It's because ME is done by Bioware, and don't you get it? Bioware only makes RPGs, if they say it's an RPG then it is an RPG... *waves hand* this is not the shooter you're looking for *waves hand*

By the way, I already saw pictures of Bioshock 2 Figures - so-called "Big Sisters" …

So, they are kind of cross-selling that, too ...

I started playing Bioshock 2 but it feels derivative from the start, so I decided to replay Bioshock on my Mac instead as it has been a while.

I started playing Bioshock 2 but it feels derivative from the start, so I decided to replay Bioshock on my Mac instead as it has been a while.

Just to ensure BS2 feels extra derivative once you start it? ;)

Just to ensure BS2 feels extra derivative once you start it? ;)

Hehe ... no, just made me want to replay the original and since I grabbed the Mac verion (which just came out at the end of last year full price) in a moment of weakness I decided to give it a shot.

Yes, the Big Daddys also came with the Collector's Edition here, if I remember that correctly ... But I have also seen them being sold as stand-alone gimmicks ...

Back
Top Bottom