Cable, Satellite and networks

CelticFrost

SasqWatch
Are these companies getting it?

I have two children, both boys 11 and 13. They both have TV's and PS4's along with cable. They play the odd game for a few hours here and there and more so when they have friends over.

They never watch really, the odd movies with me and my wife and the odd show we may have on after dinner. They watch youtube or nothing at all.

I have for years and years said if I could pay a dollar or two for the odd channel I like I would. Though these companies are always forcing us into packages with channels I could careless about.

With the all the option to watch shows now, this week my wife got our cable bill down over a $100.00(we bundle our phone, TV and internet). I said just get rid of it all but our internet and I will buy a cheap Dell or whatever to run our main TV which would bring it down even more.

If it wasn't for Vikings, GOT and Got to call Sal I wouldn't even watch TV but the odd sporting event.

So you've become a cord cutter then if that's the correct term? I also used to pay over $200 myself, but got rid of most channels as I barely watch any of them anymore.

I always hear about the death of cable companies, but it will never happen so long as they provide most of the internet access to every State in America.

Sorry for going a little off-topic above. As for offering channels separately I read recently some cable companies are starting to offer new plans that allow you to do so.

So for now I'm just glad I pay only pay half of what I used to every month.:)

I've paid for my cable since....well, since it was invented, I guess. I remember when CNN didn't run all day long, and they'd order pizza on air and interview people that delivered it. Cut to now.....and I still pay for cable. Why? I like my big ass vulgar TV, and I'm not watching shows or movies on a screen under 30 inches. I've tried things like Netflix, and it has so many issues that I don't ever see it being serious competition. I like Netflix, but I'd enjoy it more if it were flawless and worked, well, like my cable does.

Anyhow, my two cents.

XBMC + Genesis, that takes care of all my TV requirements.

I've been cableless for close to 10 years now. I love the extra money in my pocket for other purchases. Remember any antenna can be an HD antenna and if you live in the city then will have a ton of stations. For example, where I live I have over 60 stations just over the air. Plus the HD channels look fantastic.

For movies I generally do Red Box.

Now if you have a family then I can somewhat see the purpose of cable but for me I'd rather go outside, read a book or play a game than watch TV.

I'll be honest and admit I have no idea what our cable bill runs. As long as I get my 100mb pipe, I'm happy. I have that Charter Spectrum deal.

It's so stupid to pay for cable, especially considering it is a medium which has long forsaken the male audience. Well the male audience is responding in kind, and realizing there is no reason to pay for cable when Youtube has unlimited content catering to every niche.

Back
Top Bottom