Risen 2 - Antigua @ Official Site

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The news at the Risen 2 site is promoting a page for Antigua, so I assume this is new content at the official site:
Antigua is firmly in the pirate hands. On this picturesque island in the Southern Seas, the pirates have built up a main supply harbour that they use as a base for attacking the Inquisition and unsuspecting trade ships and raiding them for booty. So it’s no wonder that the trade office is the largest building in Antigua.
More information.

I'd rather to know about this stuff when I am playing the game. Not before its release. I wish there were more updates about game-play features rather than character and lore give-away. ( Which sometimes turns out to be a semi spoiler. )

I do find myself very much looking forward to this game. Between Risen 2, KoA, Mass Effect 3, and Skyrim expansions and mods I might end up looking a bit like an albino by the end of 2012.

I wish there were more updates about game-play features rather than character and lore give-away. ( Which sometimes turns out to be a semi spoiler. )

Well, the latest issue of the German print mag Gamestar has an(other) exclusive Risen 2 preview. The mag will be out next week on 12/28 but as usual subscribers got their copy as early as today. So here's a bit from the German forums (this is someone's snips and summary so there's no guarantee about the accuracy of the info):

- Character development system: XP is used to level up in five talent categories, each of which contains three sub-categories:

1) Blades
- Cut and thrust weapons: Determines the character's strength in fighting with sabres and muskets w/o bayonets
- Piercing weapons: Determines the character's strength in fighting with rapiers and muskets w/ bayonets
- Throwing weapons: Increases the damage of throwing darts and daggers

2) Firearms
- Musket: Increases the accuracy of muskets
- Shotgun: Enhances the damage from shotguns
- Pistols: Determines the accuracy of one-handed pistols and the damage dealt by lead shot pistols

3) Toughness
- Blade Absorption: Increases melee defense
- Bullet-proof: The hero takes less damage from gun fire
- Intimidation: Increases the chance to intimidate someone in a conversation

4) Cunning
- Dirty Tricks: Increases the accuracy and damage of dirty tricks attacks
- Thievery: Increases the chance of success when picking locks and pockets. Both skills first need to be taught by a trainer.
- Silver Tongue: The hero is more likely to persuade someone in a conversation

5) Voodoo
- Black Magic: Determines which enemies may be bewitched via scepters and increases the effects of curses
- Necromancy: Determines the strength of conjured wraiths
- Ritual: Enhances the power of magical potions

Some more random snips:

- Voodoo: You can apparently craft Voodoo dolls and scepters using a variety of resources. Via thought control you can then use these techniques to manipulate other characters, e.g. make them attack each other
- Voodoo dolls work like scrolls (one time use) while scepters are permanent reusable runes
- There are only two factions: The Inquisition and the native Tonka tribe. The latter have close ties to the local pirate boss so this is effectively the pirate faction.
- Not an all new revelation but it has once again been confirmed that you will have a monkey sidekick that can distract enemies and steal stuff for you
- Some criticism in the article is directed at the dated tech. The game is supposed to appear a little behind the times compared to The Witcher 2 and Skyrim.

So... there's some new features info fer ya... ;)

Thank you very much for the info. That was exactly what I wanted to know about the game.
It's interesting to see they added persuasion to the game. I'm sure it will make the game look different compared to the previous PB titles, because the fact that you always received the same result by choosing a certain dialogue option in those games was one of the notable features ( or limitations ) compared to other prime RPGS like Interplay D&Ds, Fallout 1&2, etc.

Out of curiosity, do we still have to join one faction only in Rise 2 to progress (just like in Risen 1) or can you mix and match or go alone like in the previous Gothic games?

Thanks in advance.

5) Voodoo
- Black Magic: Determines which enemies may be bewitched via scepters and increases the effects of curses
- Necromancy: Determines the strength of conjured wraiths
- Ritual: Enhances the power of magical potions

The magical options outlined above seem very limited. One thing I liked about Risen was the range of magic options: light (utility spells), protection, combat boosting/buffs, summons, elemental damage, levitation, beast form transformations (esp Ashbeast!). Excluding alchemy (which is not really voodoo), the possibilities seem quite limited. Levitation in particular added some interesting possibilities for puzzle solving and exploration. I really hope they haven't thrown out everything familiar just to differentiate themselves from 'the competition'.

Sounds pretty good, a concern though since it is not even released yet, is dated visuals. Also, doesn't seem to be a lot of skills?

Magic sounds like a bit of a letdown. Might be the first PB game I do not start as a mage.

The voodoo mechanics sound like a lot of fun! Loving the concept as it is quite a departure from typical fantasy RPG magic.

How long has this game been in development?

It seems there just trying to force you to play as a pirate and nothing else. I'm open to new things but the game is taking way to many liberties with the world setting.

First technology somehow advances rapidly and now magic is gone and we have just voodoo. I probably will still play the game Im just disgruntled with the changes the more I hear.

Hopefully those 5 char dev stuffz encompass variety of developing around.
Voodoo thief seems like the most interesting way to go so far :).
Uncompromising world design, please.

Last edited:
It seems there just trying to force you to play as a pirate and nothing else.
Can't agree with this. Summon wraith (instead of summon Fred) is not really a pirate thing, right?

Besides, those things listed up there are subcategories. There is no list of actual skills, and from subcategories we learn there is pickpocket and pick locks, and my favorite: dirty tricks attacks.

Back
Top Bottom