Couple of small suggestions/pet peeves.

Oriz0r

Watcher
There is no built-in search function for articles/keywords/whatever, just a database/publisher search(IF I'm not mistaken). The database doesn't link to related articles. Also, I would like to be able to look at a list of reviews, and reviews alone.

The homepage should have a couple of lines for new visitors in my opinion, decscribing the essence of the site and what it's about, despite its being pretty obvious.

I didn't know where to stick the following comment, so I'll stick it right here:
Dhurin, your reviews <explicit removed> rock. Keep 'em coming!

There is no built-in search function for articles/keywords/whatever, just a database/publisher search(IF I'm not mistaken).
True, somewhere in the future that will be added.

The database doesn't link to related articles.
Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean. If you select a game after the search, you get tabs at the top of that page, one of them is labeled 'Articles' (if there are any).

Also, I would like to be able to look at a list of reviews, and reviews alone.
For a single game that's not possible, but for all games it is. On the front page there is a link labelled More Articles. There you can select the type of articles you want to see.

The homepage should have a couple of lines for new visitors in my opinion, decscribing the essence of the site and what it's about, despite its being pretty obvious.
Here I go thinking it was obvious.....

True, somewhere in the future that will be added.
Cool.

Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean. If you select a game after the search, you get tabs at the top of that page, one of them is labeled 'Articles' (if there are any).

Ah, my bad.

For a single game that's not possible, but for all games it is. On the front page there is a link labelled More Articles. There you can select the type of articles you want to see.

Did not notice that, very nice.

Here I go thinking it was obvious.....

Yes, and the front page -is- pretty perfect as it is...maybe an "about" link would be nice, which would lead to a page describing the site, its origins, and its goals.

Thanks, myrthos.

Farewell RPGDot
About RPGWatch

For me the Watch is a place where old and young gamers from all over the world come together -> What's your age group, discussing new and old crpgs and crpg-related games.
Off-Topic is fun too, trolls are rare, arguing and reasoning is the way most users follow.
Many RPGWatchers are so called "hardcore" crpg-players, that means they have played most crpg-games released in the last 20 years or so. With this experience under their belt they can sometimes be very critical to new mainstream releases. Our hope are creative development teams that like making interesting challenging and entertaining crpgs and are not only commercially orientated.
The indie-scene is very interesting at moment with new crpg-releases coming. Indie-developers will always have a platform here.

... and we will never be too tired to discuss fundamental questions like "what makes a crpg a crpg ?" :)

Last edited:
Also, I would like to be able to look at a list of reviews, and reviews alone.
Despite the helpful hints above, I have to chime in and say that the reviews are really hard to find. I think they would be read much more often if they would be linked more prominently. That's one thing I found easier on rpgdot.com.

Yes, you are right. The articles are a bit hard to find. Maybe additional menu items for the different article types would make things easier. Now the reader has to click on the "more articles" link below the bottom feature and then filter for the desired article type.

I think articles and reviews should be separated, and the reviews should have their own box. None could imagine clicking more articles to find their game reviewed.

I added a direct link to articles.

Simple and efficient. Very nice. :)

Could there be a button or whatever to let the database automatically show all news of let's say a month or two on one page ?

I haven't found a quick way of getting that.

Could there be a button or whatever to let the database automatically show all news of let's say a month or two on one page ?

I haven't found a quick way of getting that.
Its a hidden feature :) Below the headlines there is the following text: 'Show Latest news or news at:'
In the input box, it asks you to enter the date as a year/month/day. You could however leave the day out and enter something like: 2008/06 to get all news of june.

Okay, and if I give in only the year, will I get ALL news of 2008, then ? ;)

Yes, but it will take some time for the page to completely load, due to the big amount of newsbits. I limited it to 500 newsbits to reduce the server resources needed for it. 500 newsbit is about 2 months.

Aha. Thanks for the information. :)

I've looked for that same feature for a couple of days now, perhaps it would be a good idea to make it more visible / obvious?

Yes, a button of some type would be fine.

Or even better: An own page (use at own risk) for displaying ALL news of a given month ...

Back
Top Bottom