Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Interview @ GameSpy

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameSpy has an interview with Cameron Tofer from Overhaul Games (and the original BioWare team) to talk about Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. He also discusses their goal of Kickstarting a BG3:
"We've been adding side stories, stories to tie things together, unfinished stories," Tofer said. "As far as new types of abilities, we have more announcements coming."
Which is, of course, great news, but it's only the beginning. No, Baldur's Gate 3 isn't A Thing just yet, but if Overhaul has its way, it'll only be a matter of time. Tofer explained:

"Baldur's Gate 3 has been our long term goal. We have a lot of things to put in place before such a project can be launched. So currently there is no such project but that's the one we want to do. Our thoughts have been that Enhanced Edition for BG 1 and 2 just make sense before there's any Baldur's Gate 3."

"We're totally thinking Kickstarter. It just makes so much sense and solves so many problems. I think what Brian [Fargo] is doing with Wasteland is very interesting."
More information.

I wonder if they are making this in preparation for BG3. Think of it, they release this enhanced version with some new content and if it has a good reception they it's safer to start working on BG3.

I kind of doubt a future BG3 if this project goes wrong.

Some of the comments just bother me. "I don't think I could ever get into an rpg that wasn't fully voice acted." - well buddy, this ain't fer you.

Some of the comments just bother me. "I don't think I could ever get into an rpg that wasn't fully voice acted." - well buddy, this ain't fer you.

Some voice acting is okay, but when all dialog is spoken I just end up clicking through it since I read faster than the actors can speak it. I found DA:O's NPC interaction to be unbearable, for example. I liked BG's approach: speak the first few lines then have the player read the rest.

It's serendipitous this project was announced: I was in the midst of ordering parts from Newegg to build a machine to play all these Infinity Engine games. Yes there are mods, but they don't always work right if at all on my current setup. Now I can save my money.

There are so many great titles being released in the near future (D3, TL 2, BG EE) my gaming schedule should be filled. I think I'm looking forward to this one the most, though.

I presume BG EE will address the current problems that arise when you play BG on a modern machine: nVidia graphics problems, poor widescreen scaling with the widescreen mod?

Baldur's Gate 3? I didn't see that coming.

To rage or to rejoice?

I presume BG EE will address the current problems that arise when you play BG on a modern machine: nVidia graphics problems, poor widescreen scaling with the widescreen mod?

I have to assume we'll be able to play in any standard resolution while keeping the same scale. Otherwise that would pretty much defeat the purpose of doing a modern re-release.

I don't remember ever having any issues with the IE games and nVidia cards. I do recall some graphics corruption if AA was forced on in the nVidia control panel, but those games obviously didn't benefit from AA anyways.

I think its too early for him to discuss BG3 in public. Get this project out of the way and then build up the hype of the BG3 discussion when its actually plausible to have a team work on it and licensing agreements are close to squared away.

I'd be somewhat surprised if Hasbro would allow new works to be licensed that isn't using their latest product offering. BGEE & BG2EE get a pass because they are enhancement editions, BG3 would be a new work so I would expect 4thEd or 5th if such a thing exists yet. ( I would be happiest with 3.5 Ed I think )

I'd be happy if they get BG2 to run at a resolution up to around 1920x1080 with improved scaling without pixelization.

"I presume BG EE will address the current problems that arise when you play BG on a modern machine: nVidia graphics problems, poor widescreen scaling with the widescreen mod? "
"I'd be happy if they get BG2 to run at a resolution up to around 1920x1080 with improved scaling without pixelization. "

I think that the "central" thing EE will do is deal with all these sorts of problems.

Consider Trent's response to this question: "Any word on how the game looks compared to Baldur's Gate with widescreen mod right now? Same or different/better?"
"it will be better. We've got the code to rework the UI and rendering"

Another notable Q and A: "will #bgee feature the good old 2d isometric gfx, or will the infinity engine get a true 3d notch? Btw congrats with announcing"
"#bgee will be all 2D. We're using the hardware for acceleration."

Another: "Will #BGEE work properly on higher end gpu cards and in W7? My old copies of BG and BG2 have ALOT of graphical errors"
"We've got the code!"

"so, this means #bgee will be bg with today's graphic and sound standards? :p"
"If by today's graphics standards you mean lots of 3D rendering, no. We're 2D isometric all the way"

Also, regarding the UI: "There have been great for interface improvements since BG. #bgee will be getting some help in this area. "

I think BGEE is, at its heart, about: 1. Updating the engine to be less problematic and prettier on modern hardware
2. Fixing up the UI and other little "aging" concerns of BG
3. Getting multiplayer working, as well as dealing with any other bugs

Considering that they're trying to keep old mods working and even old save games working means that this is almost like a "really big" patch and re-release than a remake. Personally, I think that's easily the best approach. I have no idea why people think that EE should change the rules from 2nd to 3.5th edition. They're basically repainting the walls and fixing some broken stuff up, and people are basically asking them to replace the foundation and rebuild the support beams. Ridiculous. I wouldn't even want such a big change out of a full blown remake, much less for a re-release like this.

However, I think the -ulterior- motive here is to, obviously, set the ground for BG3. The new material, characters, etc. - these are equal parts training grounds, testing grounds, and proving grounds. They're training their team to make BG-style content. They're testing the ability of their current team to do so. And they're trying to show us, the fans, that they're able to do so.

It's actually genius in a way. Worst comes to worst, the new content is optional. You can just sit back and enjoy the updated re-release. If, however, the new content is actually decent.. they fan the flames of the BG fanbase.. leading to a Kickstarter campaign for a new Baldur's Gate.

I have never had any problems running any of the games on my computer with a Geforce 260 and Windows 7 64-bit with or without mods. I haven't played much Baldur's Gate without mods but I have been playing Planescape: Torment without mods and haven't had an issue.

Even if they don't make a BG3 (due to licensing/rights issues for the D&D license), I would love more infinity engine games.

They could be a new world, or other license since they can just use the D20 system.

I'm excited. I wish they did it on steam since then the fanbase would be larger and multiplaying easier...

not sure if I'll have time to actually play all of it through all over again but I'd probably buy it so that I can play it when I'm old and retired :))

more importantly though: would Dark Alliance and Dark Alliance II be included too? since it was for PS2, I never got to play it!!!

I'm excited. I wish they did it on steam since then the fanbase would be larger and multiplaying easier…

not sure if I'll have time to actually play all of it through all over again but I'd probably buy it so that I can play it when I'm old and retired :))

more importantly though: would Dark Alliance and Dark Alliance II be included too? since it was for PS2, I never got to play it!!!

okay:

"Additionally, the developer revealed that the enhanced edition will include the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion. As for Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, it will include the Throne of Bhaal expansion and will ship at a later date. "

so it seems no dark alliance :(

Dark Alliance is just an entirely different creature. I doubt they'll want to remake an 8 year old dead console-based Diablo clone when they're a company largely devoted to a digital distribution service for the PC. That just doesn't seem to make any sense.

They are, however, talking about doing something besides a Beamdog-only release for BGEE. Honestly, I think they are trying to figure out which is the cart and which is the horse.

Overall good news.

Just hope this isn't the gaming equivalent of George Lucas making Greedo shoot first, or Steven Spielberg taking the guns out of E.T.

32bit colours never worked for me properly in BG1. I have never actually finished both BG games, so I am glad we are getting enhanced version. Now I will have a good reason to spend my gaming time on these games.

Overall good news.

Just hope this isn't the gaming equivalent of George Lucas making Greedo shoot first, or Steven Spielberg taking the guns out of E.T.

Since they aren't making major changes to the gameplay (which a lot of people are.. complaining about?!) and since the new content is optional, there really shouldn't be anything as terrible as the SE of Star Wars.

Anyone know if they are going to use the old voices?

Yeah, they're using the same voices for all the original characters. There are some new characters (which are part of -optional- content) with new voice work, but the old characters still have the same voice work as before.

Interesting, though that probably means more in BG2 than BG1, as BG1 hardly had any voice acting beyond Sarevok and the narrator, both voiced by the same guy (Kevin Michael Richardson, one of my favorite voice actors).

It would be sweet if they had brought him aboard though, as he really did a fantastic job.

Back
Top Bottom