Witcher Games as atmospheric as The Witcher

The Witcher
It's the best I could come up with ;)

But it seems to fit with my own perception of the concept rather well.

Ambience being what's "ever present" - like background music or something that's constantly playing at your senses, which would be music, sound, color palette and so on.

Tremendously important to me in a lot of games and movies.

Quite true.

Its how the use of the word in that context started to gain some traction first, either through "atmospheric or ambient music" or architecture

Yeah, architecture is a good example of ambience that I wouldn't have thought of myself.

A particularly good example of that would be Lovecraft - if you're into that sort of thing.

He's very big on atmosphere, and the city of R'lyeh is profoundly atmospheric just through his descriptions of the architecture.

A particularly good example of that would be Lovecraft - if you're into that sort of thing.

He's very big on atmosphere, and the city of R'lyeh is profoundly atmospheric just through his descriptions of the architecture.

Very much into as you might remember ;)

:sigh: Why doesn't anyone want to make a good Lovecraft RPG :-(
You can see some references and tributes (and downright shameless ripoffs) quite often but no real mythos RPGs… I mean who do I have to mur… err maim ;) to get my Lovecraft rpg dammit :mad:

Very much into as you might remember ;)

With shame, I don't remember? :(

:sigh: Why doesn't anyone want to make a good Lovecraft RPG :-(
You can see some references and tributes (and downright shameless ripoffs) quite often but no real mythos RPGs… I mean who do I have to mur… err maim ;) to get my Lovecraft rpg dammit :mad:

Yeah, it's really unfortunate. Such potential - but ok, it's also something that's very hard to pull off.

I'd settle with just a good movie.

They're almost all universally bad. The only decent Lovecraft film I'm aware of is Dagon.

Did we already talk about this? ;)

Did we already talk about this? ;)

Indeed that was what I was referring to ;)

Still haven't managed to see Dagon unfortunately :-/ (Music gaming and books have sort of overtaken my free time the last couple of years alas)

Indeed that was what I was referring to ;)

Still haven't managed to see Dagon unfortunately :-/ (Music gaming and books have sort of overtaken my free time the last couple of years alas)

Hehe, that rings a bell!

If you're not expecting too much, it should be a great movie for you.

GET TO IT!

One of these days... I keep promising myself... ;)

I'd also recommend 'The Resurrected'. It's based on 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward', and it's one of the more faithful movie adaptions of a Lovecraft story.

It's low-budget, but I think it's fantastic. I might be biased though due to the source material being one of my favorite Lovecraft stories.

Yeah, I forgot about that one. I wouldn't exactly call it good - but if you can get past the awful acting and abysmal production values - it's ok :)

I bet we talked about that one last time also!

The discussion does feel like Dejavu ;)
I am really embarrassed that I have not followed up to your suggestions being the huge HPL fanboy that I am (latest acquisition btw, like I didn't already have the omnibus collections :roll:)

Thanks for making them again guys. I'll probably set my moviephile sis to track the movies down then make me sit down and watch them ;)

Ouch I am afraid I am that bad these days :lol:
(I even have a few movies I bought a couple of years ago still in their plastic wrapper if you can believe it :blush: )

but if you can get past the awful acting and abysmal production values -

The problem is that 95% of the movies based on Lovecraft are that way. It's a shame really.

What makes The Resurrected different is that it's almost an exact telling of the events in the book. - Unlike most scripts based on Lovecraft that are heavily altered from the source material.

Hehe, I've managed to buy some games 3 times because I forget I already bought them, both digitally and physically ;)

You need a cataloging system. sounds like it will pay for itself ;)

The problem is that 95% of the movies based on Lovecraft are that way.

True, but IIRC, The Resurrected is particularly bad. At least, all the versions I've managed to dig up have had supremely bad video quality.

Dagon isn't exactly Lord of the Rings - but it's quite watchable in terms of production values, and I find it's quite close to Shadow Over Innsmouth - which happens to be one of my favorites.

What makes The Resurrected different is that it's almost an exact telling of the events in the book. - Unlike most scripts based on Lovecraft that are heavily altered from the source material.

Yup, I'd agree with that. The story is good - but most of the movie is really bad. I do enjoy Sarandon, though.

Dagon isn't exactly Lord of the Rings - but it's quite watchable in terms of production values, and I find it's quite close to Shadow Over Innsmouth - which happens to be one of my favorites.

That's what I mean. Dagon is actually based more on SOI than 'Dagon'. I like the story, but I just hate when they take so many liberties with it. Faithful storytelling is more important to me when it comes to something like Lovecraft.

Btw: Here's a list of all the Lovecraft film adaptions if anyone is interested.
http://www.hplovecraft.com/popcult/moviestv/based.aspx

That's what I mean. Dagon is actually based more on SOI than 'Dagon'. I like the story, but I just hate when they take so many liberties with it. Faithful story-telling is more important to me when it comes to something like Lovecraft.

It has almost nothing to do with Dagon, that's true :)

My problem with that is the name - not the movie, though.

I don't think Lovecraft was THAT good at crafting stories. I think he was mostly a one-trick-pony - but a VERY good one, and his trick was atmosphere and "mythology". Also, he had a lot of cool twist endings - which is pretty novel considering the age of the short stories. I loved Pickman's Model, for instance ;)

So, in that sense - those are the things I care about.

Dagon isn't great - but in my mind, it's the best Lovecraftian film I've seen - by far.

But to each his own.

Also, the chick in Dagon is hotter!

Dagon isn't great - but in my mind, it's the best Lovecraftian film I've seen - by far.

But to each his own.

Indeed. I didn't even find Dagon to be good much less great. The Resurrected was much more memorable to me.

I just discovered that you can watch Dagon in its entirety on YouTube. Perhaps I'll like it better after a second viewing.

Also, the chick in Dagon is hotter!

Getting to see her naked didn't hurt either. :)

Back
Top Bottom