The last really good sci-fi movie you saw in a theater

Drithius

Magic & Loss
I've been trying to brainstorm some rental ideas... and I just can't recall any recent good sci-fi.

Sunshine, District 13... isn't there anything more recent?

Where are the Bladerunners of this generation? Hell, I'd settle for a Total Recall.

I liked Source Code, actually. I'm not sure I would call it REALLY good - but it was definitely interesting and entertaining.

For the pure spectacle - I think Tron Legacy was quite an experience in the theater, even though the actual movie is pretty bad. But visuals and sound were amazing. It's an experience that will stick with me forever, I think.

Inception was very good as well.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes was above average.

I don't know Dart - of the four you listed, the only one I'd truly label sci-fi would be Inception. I like my sci-fi to be plausible in some sense; else, it's just fantasy with technobabble ;)

That one scene in Inception with the street/city curling over itself truly reminded me of what a live-action Sigil would look like :) Thanks for reminding me!

I recently found out about Ridley Scott's upcoming sci-fi movie. In case you haven't heard about it yet, here is a trailer.

Let's hope it is in the same league as Blade Runner and Alien.

I recently found out about Ridley Scott's upcoming sci-fi movie. In case you haven't heard about it yet, here is a trailer.

Let's hope it is in the same league as Blade Runner and Alien.

Alien prequel. It will be "good" because it it Scott. Hopefully it will be great!

Yes, I can't wait for Prometheus! I've always thought that the "derelict spacecraft" in Alien(s) offered up so much potential... potential squandered for the sake of telling a linear story involving Ripley.

Alien prequel. It will be "good" because it it Scott. Hopefully it will be great!

I am not sure where you heard that it is an alien "prequel". To quote ridley scott:

While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart.

it's still obviously a prequel to Alien.

edit: looks like I am wrong. Ignore me :) I wrote the bit below before I did a bit of googling :) Seems like some of the cast did confirm it.

edit2: Actually seems pretty conflicting. Take this quote from Idris Elba (Feb 2012):

It captures all the great DNA stuff of ‘Aliens,’ that’s all in this film as well. But it’s a different film altogether.

And:

http://www.prometheusforum.net/discussion/68/prometheus-faqs

A prequel would have to exist in the same time line and as far as I am aware we have not had any confirmation of that. Despite the similarities I think you are leaping to the conclusion that it is a prequel. Ridley Scott is playing it very close to his chest and almost no plot details have yet emerged. Pretty much the only thing he has said is that it is an "original story".

Yes it very much looks like it could be, and I am certainly not ruling it out that it is one, but I think we have to wait till it hits the cinemas to find out the truth. Any yes, I have seen the trailer at least 20-30 times ;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what they mean by same time line, but there's obviously a direct connection as far as the location is concerned, and it takes place prior to the events in Alien. That's enough to be considered a prequel to me, even if the events that take place don't directly effect what happened in Alien.

Scott is blowing a bit of a smoke in an obvious attempt to heighten the sense of mystery surrounding the project, which is fine by me. I'm pretty sure the "original story" claim is to cover his tracks as far as any retconning is concerned.

Oh, please, not another sequel/prequel or whatever again … I really want something *original* …

Yes, I can't wait for Prometheus! I've always thought that the "derelict spacecraft" in Alien(s) offered up so much potential…

I fully agree. Of course, the derelict ship has always been a mistery and many people have probably let their imagination run wild regarding its origins. Consequently, the danger of a total "screw up" and disappointment will be present.

Oh, please, not another sequel/prequel or whatever again … I really want something *original* …

Apparently, the "Aliens" are present but are secondary so I do suspect that the focus of the movie will be original.

Just out of curiosity, would you say the same thing if a new Drakensang were to be announced? :)

I think that anything becomes boring it became expanded too much, so to say.

Star Wars, for example. Okay, sure, each part of it tells a new story. But all in all it becomes like ... a thing thar's been kind of repeated ... It doesn't look "new" anymore. That's what I mean.

Telling new stories within a given setting might be okay, but telling too many of them kind of lets the impression of "newness" and "originality" decay or at least erode over time ...

There have been four Alien movies and two Aliens vs Predator spin-offs so you can argue that the theme has lost its originality. However, IMO only the first two movies are of relevance as the others are nothing but crap and garbage and are thus "non-existant" as far as I am concerned. I just hope that the new Prometheus captures the "feel" of the orginal movies and becomes worthy of being he "third" movie.

There have been four Alien movies and two Aliens vs Predator spin-offs so you can argue that the theme has lost its originality. However, IMO only the first two movies are of relevance as the others are nothing but crap and garbage and are thus "non-existant" as far as I am concerned. I just hope that the new Prometheus captures the "feel" of the orginal movies and becomes worthy of being he "third" movie.

Completely agree about AvP being garbage, but Alien 3 and Resurrection weren't totally horrible imo. I recently watched the "Assembly Cut" of Alien 3 and thought it was quite good.

I think Alien Resurrection is the weakest of the series, but it's still significantly better than the AvP films. I actually think it's a pretty good movie for the first 3/4 of the film.

I don't know Dart - of the four you listed, the only one I'd truly label sci-fi would be Inception. I like my sci-fi to be plausible in some sense; else, it's just fantasy with technobabble ;)

That one scene in Inception with the street/city curling over itself truly reminded me of what a live-action Sigil would look like :) Thanks for reminding me!

So taking drugs to share dreams is plausible, but zapping yourself inside a super computer is not?

Back
Top Bottom