Farcry 4

Oh cmon, it's not like you're playing the game on iPhone/iPad where the minimap would take half of the screen… :D
Maybe this mod would help - it unlocks HUD on QTE or if crouched, otherwise HUD is removed:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/734046-Mods-for-Far-Cry-3?p=8818960&viewfull=1#post8818960

So far nothing bothers me much that I would go use mods, especially when I'm playing the game for the first time.

Haven't used any mods, all I did was edit the dll file to remove the HUD. It's pretty easy to do, and the game is so much more fun without it, I could never go back to playing with the HUD.

You just look out into the landscape and go where you want to go, without worrying about all those markers and stuff on the screen. You can still pull up your map if you want to see where you are on the island, and you can identify landmarks in the terrain to navigate.

Okay you didn't use others' mods but modded the game yourself.
Still I suggest to restore the original dll and try the mod from the link, at least till game devs release a HUD patch. :)

The game crashed on me for the fourth time. Out of four times now it's second time it crashed when I went to the menu and said "quit to desktop" (so I can go spam on rpgwatch ;)).
I'll probably use "quit to main menu" before exiting the game next time...

Already mentioned the awsome cave mission.
The burning hotel mission was also a pleasant surprise. It does contain a couple of QTE but those are really easy ones (for Chocula who won't see key tips - you need to hold W on the first one, and E on the second one), the rest of the mission is pure fun.

Also have to mention the gold tiger hunting mission... Unlike previously mentioned black panther where I needed half a dozen of arrows, I killed the gold tiger with three (normal) arrows. Something smells really fishy about those animals... Seems that adding some more balance on the case wouldn't hurt.

Already mentioned the awsome cave mission.
The burning hotel mission was also a pleasant surprise. It does contain a couple of QTE but those are really easy ones (for Chocula who won't see key tips - you need to hold W on the first one, and E on the second one), the rest of the mission is pure fun.

Hated that mission up until the part where you are riding on the truck shooting RPGs. I didn't have any problem figuring out to move forward to climb, or shoot the valves, etc., but the QTEs were still lame IMO, like something from a totally different game where you watch an interactive movie, or a tomb raider game instead of a sandbox environment. I fell down a few times and had to watch the same cutscene again. >:O

How the hell you managed to fall LOL
And I agree the mission is like a different game till the jeep shooting part, but in my case it was fun.
Too bad that the weapon you used in the vehicle in this mission won't boost your XP much on enemy bases as bases' XP skyrockets only if you're undetected. Also it's plain useless for "kill" missions where you have to use the knife. :( Which doesn't mean it ain't fun enough to use it everywhere else! Must try it on crocs and sharks later. :D

One thing, I haven't failed so far anywhere at a moment that would force me to watch a cutscene again. If that happens, and if the cutscene can't be fastforwarded like minigames' cutscenes (middle mousebutton), the Ubisoft forum will burn. :D

Currently I'm clearing the next area (already took down both bases, finished med, kill and "exclamation" mission, but still didn't get all relics and hunter mission for special type of lizzard is waiting) and can't wait to see what will happen in the main story (temple) mission.
If someone told me before that I'll have so much fun with some FPS game I wouldn't believe it. And if this is what will next generation of FPS look, I want more of those!

One thing, I haven't failed so far anywhere at a moment that would force me to watch a cutscene again. If that happens, and if the cutscene can't be fastforwarded like minigames' cutscenes (middle mousebutton), the Ubisoft forum will burn. :D

Really, wow, I had to watch so many cutscenes over and over during the first few tutorial missions. There was one where you are supposed to collect some boar pelts and flowers and the damn list of quest objectives was blocking half the screen (this was before I disabled the HUD), so I couldn't see any animals and I got killed by something. Also every time I stepped one foot outside of any of the mission areas, instantly a message popped up "mission failed, watch the long ass cut scene again."

You might not have noticed, but 100% of the cutscenes in this game are unskippable.

Overall I enjoyed the game, but these details were pretty annoying.

???
I really don't understand how quest objectives blocked half of your screen, I don't have that problem anywhere.
What video quality options you use? On my machine those are default, the game looks great so I didn't want to put everything on very high. It goes from top to bottom: high, medium, 4xvery high, 3xhigh. Resolution is 1680*1050.

I remember that tutorial mission - first I killed 3 boars on the spot (2 were needed only but hell why not get all skins when you can, right?) and after that I've collected needed plants. If you check the minimap (which again ain't huge on my PC) the mission area is marked by light color so if you step out of that area, you can easily move back.

I didn't (try to) skip any cutscene anywhere as I like to see everything before proceeding, but also honestly I didn't fail any mission on the initial checkpoint so no cutscene replay on my side. Yet.

In the meantime, I've taken care of the area I'm currently in and cleared all significant points. The temple FMV was great and the reward was even greater (hell why didn't they say you need to do main story to unlock those skills? I've been doing kill missions thinking that's that). Also the lost expedition mission was awsome, dungeon crawling Doom with top notch graphics. Don't want to spoil it more, but at a certain point I had to (finally) fly to get something. :)

Now I can either explore the island more or quicktravel to Badtown. Where I saw on the map some new icon (monkey see, monkey boom, something like that, god can't wait to check that out). What do you suggest, clearing areas (sidemissions and bases) or forcing the main story by quicktravel?

Walking around like this was pretty ridiculous, before I disabled the HUD. I couldn't even see where I was going.

6bHYM.jpg

Cmon that's hardly half of the screen. Not only that, that "window" with leaves you need doesn't appear in other missions.

The game is simply a lot more fun without all that crap and it looks better. Instead of following around a quest marker or some objective list, I look for places in the terrain that look interesting to explore, gradually seeking to conquer the entire island.

Looks so much better without the HUD:

lP4rf.jpg

vNROy.jpg

I can agree on objectives list, you don't need a map for that as all are conected to roads. Also all medic and kill missions are connected to roads, so again no need for map there.
However, without the minimap, you'll easily exit an area on hunter quests and fail them without realizing where the "beast" is.
Also, without (bought) items map I can't possibly see how will you find all relics. Those relics are not just an annoyance, I've just unlocked some special syringe that provides a few seconds of invulnerability, that seems OP so I won't be using it unless there is a sidemission or something where it's needed.
And the map on relics in most cases is just a hint - you still need on certain areas to find a passage that leads to the relic. Or make a passage (with knife or a grenade). Or fall down, or go up. :)
Hell what about the lost expedition missions? Okay, this one I've finished is connected with a road so you won't miss it, but what if there is one that ain't near a road? Would be a shame to miss the fun!

I can agree on objectives list, you don't need a map for that as all are conected to roads. Also all medic and kill missions are connected to roads, so again no need for map there.
However, without the minimap, you'll easily exit an area on hunter quests and fail them without realizing where the "beast" is.
Also, without (bought) items map I can't possibly see how will you find all relics. Those relics are not just an annoyance, I've just unlocked some special syringe that provides a few seconds of invulnerability, that seems OP so I won't be using it unless there is a sidemission or something where it's needed.
And the map on relics in most cases is just a hint - you still need on certain areas to find a passage that leads to the relic. Or make a passage (with knife or a grenade). Or fall down, or go up. :)
Hell what about the lost expedition missions? Okay, this one I've finished is connected with a road so you won't miss it, but what if there is one that ain't near a road? Would be a shame to miss the fun!

That's sort of the point, in my view it's more fun to explore the entire world and look for stuff. I don't want any markers telling me where things are, for me that ruins the fun of finding them. I can still check my map to get my general bearings on where I am on the island, but it's kind of boring to follow a blinking marker around.

Besides, the relics make a sound when you get close to them. For example, in the distance I saw something that looked like some sort of ruins. I approached and explored the building a bit, then heard the sound of a relic somewhere nearby, and I noticed a wall that looked possibly destructible. Managed to break the wall, and eventually found a relic in the area.

But I never looked at any special icons on the map, just found a building that looked interesting and explored it. Perhaps I will never find all of the relics in the game during this playthrough, but I think it will be more fun than using the HUD. As for buying parts of the map, I don't understand the purpose of this, as you can unlock the entire map by conquering all the radio towers.

It was similar with Dishonored. If you use the heart gadget and objective markers to find all the runes and bone charms during the first playthrough, you miss out on part of the fun of exploring and finding things on your own.

Dishonored? I'm not buying that game. Sorry.

Okay, I'm not saying that global exploration part isn't fun, but somehow I don't think that would make this game better for me. True, relics do make a sound, but in some cases, in fact at least third of them, you're too far away to hear it. Unless you see on the map the relic is somewhere nearby and start exploring that area and discover a (sort of a) passage. ;) And in one case there is no passage. Yes, you can still get the relic, but I don't want to spoil that one. :)

Okay I'm gonna eat something then I'm back onto game, I won't use quicktravel to the main quest objective but slowly clear bases, there are not many of those between the current area and the one where the quest continues, 6-7 IIRC. Also I think there is one more lost expedition on that path… More Doom, more Tomb Raider or something else? Can't wait to see.

Bought this for playstation 3 from xmas sale 35€. Its feels less repetative than fc2. I think Ill finish this one. The previous far cry I had to skip. It just became too boring.

Thats if I get anytime free from playing walking dead. That one game is seriously addictive. Bought a season pass for ps3 but its available for ios too.

So far nothing bothers me much that I would go use mods, especially when I'm playing the game for the first time.

The animals eating my ass from behind while I was carefully taking apart an enemy base used to drive me crazy, then I got used to keeping my ears open for the warning noises they almost always give before attacking. Now it actually does a good job of adding to the tension and giving me an additional element I can use against enemies - when I know where a tiger is I can lure enemies into its sight and giggle as it gets to eat their asses instead of mine.

That's a shame… it's a hell of a lot better than the game you're discussing. :)
Yea, right.
See, it can be described as important as the cure for cancer for all I care. I simply don't want it and I won't buy it.

The animals eating my ass from behind while I was carefully taking apart an enemy base used to drive me crazy, then I got used to keeping my ears open for the warning noises they almost always give before attacking. Now it actually does a good job of adding to the tension and giving me an additional element I can use against enemies - when I know where a tiger is I can lure enemies into its sight and giggle as it gets to eat their asses instead of mine.
There is a hypo to keep you safe from beasts for a short time (you'll get the recipe later if you still haven't) and also not just tigers and etc… Lure an enemy to a snake - after it bits him, he dies definetly. ;)

And JDR says there is some other FPS better than this one… Bah. This one is full of creativity.
Did anyone try to fly to the top of any tower instead of climbing all the way yet? I'll have to try to do that just for fun. :)

Finished. Took me 29 hours according to Steam, but it's not correct, Steam didn't count the time if my game crashed.

Did all side quests, cleared all bases and towers, collected all collectibles, left a few med, kill and hunt missions unsolved as they bring just cash and I don't need that.
Also, if you still haven't bought the game, please buy the deluxe edition, bonus missions are awsome (it's not the testing unit mission but two lost expeditions and a few missions you get from NPC named Hurk) and are worth the difference in the game cost.

This is very hard to admit but I have to. So much fun I didn't have with any other game I've played in 2012. Although Farcry3 is FPS and although I despise FPS genre, this game is simply awsome.
I've initially put 9/10 and I'll stay with it. Why not 10/10? Because of:
- uplay (well, not as annoying as in HoMM6 and Anno2070, but still that thing has to go away)
- crashes while quicktravel or while exiting the game, how's that even possible
- not bad but also not stellar music (next time they should ask Eidos Montreal to pass them a composer)
- irrelevance of XP and cash very early in the game - you max them too soon
- some minor annoyances over useless stuff like plants hypo, inability to save anywhere, lack of hide HUD option, etc

Back
Top Bottom