Risen 2 - Two More DLCs?

a no brainer. its been so long since pirahnas have done anything extra for a game, but when they did, Night of the Raven, it was grand. one of the few devs i would never hesitate to buy dlc from

Depressing. I considered preordering to get that one part of content cut from the game (Treasure Isle), since previous PB experience makes me hopeful that even if the game is dumbed down a bit I will still like it, but three DLCs already? If that's confirmed, then count me out.

I hate it when companies plan DLC before it's even released...oh wait this is Risen 2 so it's ok.

I hate it when companies plan DLC before it's even released…oh wait this is Risen 2 so it's ok.

Well, there is usually a period of a few months when they are testing iterations of the game, I imagine there is a good portion of their dev team that they can put to work on the DLC during this period.

I hate it when companies plan DLC before it's even released…oh wait this is Risen 2 so it's ok.

I have nothing against DLC if it's done properly and of substantial depth and length. I haven't yet lost faith in PB to presume it won't be.

Certainly makes me want to wait until I can get all DLC and main game in one package.

Bethesda was smart NOT to advertise this crap before release.

Certainly makes me want to wait until I can get all DLC and main game in one package.

Yes, although to be fair to PB, it was "discovered" from the Steam database, which is not exactly a planned PR campaign. (At least I hope it wasn't.)

Last edited:
All 3 DLCs? I think the first one has been officially announced by PB. That's a great way to annoy the fanbase. :/

I consider myself a part of the fanbase and why the hell would it annoy me? I'd rather they release two more (hopefully substantial) DLC than wait three years or more for their next game. DLC is mini-expansions and if the content is good then I'll lap it up like the little PB fanboi that I am :biggrin: . If it isn't good or doesn't appeal to me for some reason then I won't buy it. That simple really.

By the way there is speculation that the DLC packs could be 1) Treasure Island (the free pre-order DLC that will sell for $9.99 once the game is released) 2) The exclusive CE in-game items and 3) More exclusive stuff that might be included in the Steelbeard's Treasure special CE.
Not that it really matters. It's almost guaranteed that they got more DLC than just Treasure Island in the pipeline anyway.

I consider myself a part of the fanbase and why the hell would it annoy me?

Well if you're a PB fanboi then they can do no wrong, I'm sure. I am talking about rational fans though. ;)

The annoyance is about day 1 DLC to milk us for more bucks on day one. I'd rather they spent those resources making a free day 1 patch that fixes bugs.

The annoyance is about day 1 DLC to milk us for more bucks on day one.

The DLC is free if you pre-order the game. So no milking involved if you plan to buy/own the game on day 1. It's only $9.99 after the game's release.

I'd rather they spent those resources making a free day 1 patch that fixes bugs.

Huh? How do you know that there won't be a free day 1 patch? Right. You don't.
You also don't know how they distributed or assigned the resources to the project. According to a Deep Silver rep on the WoR forums, the DLC was made as a completely separate project with its own dedicated budget. No DLC would not automatically have meant that more money would have been poured into the main game. The main game would not have changed one bit. The DLC would not exist and the money would still be in the bank. I guess we have to take their word for it unless proven otherwise.

It does make sense. Part of the team would otherwise twiddle their thumbs towards the end of development so you need to keep them busy with developing expansions (DLC) or a sequel while another part of the team finalizes the main game. Business as usual. If the project is managed well it should be no problem to do several things in parallel like working on DLC, developing a sequel and patching the game you just released.

Sorry, I don't buy it. I also think bribing people to buy the game as pre-order to get day 1 DLC for free is shitty business practice. I'd rather have a dayone patch with MORE fixes than have to pre-order to get a day one DLC for free.

Let's not forget how shitty Gothic 3 was on day 1 without LOTS of patches. Certainly wary of any pre-order and now more so with this form of "incentive".

It's a strange double standard here that other games get bashed for DLC(KoA) and this is just a shrugged shoulder.

Nevermind - misread what you said.

Last edited:
I'd rather have a dayone patch with MORE fixes than have to pre-order to get a day one DLC for free.

I think you would be in the minority on that.

Would you also rather they charged $10 for day 1 DLC like Bioware?

It's a strange double standard here that other games get bashed for DLC(KoA) and this is just a shrugged shoulder.

Uh yeah… you already expressed the same sentiment a few posts earlier. I guess you didn't even bother reading the entire thread though, or you would realize it's obviously not just a "shrugged shoulder" from most people.

In my case I have never taken umbrage at publishers that release Day 1 DLC, even when it comes in ridiculous quantities and segmented variations as with many of EA's games. By way of example, I missed out on the Sebastian DLC for DA2 because I pre-ordered on Steam instead of Origin, but never had any interest whatsoever in that particular DLC, so I didn't mind.

Either it's a DLC that I'm interested in, in which case I'm happy to wait a few months until it is available on Steam very cheap, or it's a DLC that I wasn't going to buy anyways.

I can sympathize with Thrasher's comment about dedicating resources to testing and patching the game, however. I bought Gothic 1, Gothic 3 and Risen from Steam, spent a great deal of time trying to get them to work properly and sadly I have never been able to play any of these three games due to severe tech issues / control problems. I very much hope not to get burned again with Risen 2.

Back
Top Bottom