Party based Dungeon Crawling

Vynik

Traveler
Now, I know this is going to be a pretty specific request. Hopefully someone has heard of a game that's similar to this.

I'm looking for a party based RPG with Diablo-esque gameplay. Respawning monsters, running through areas, dungeons, etc, looking for loot. However, I'd like it to be more tactical than just "Click, click, click, click, right click, click, click, click." I'd prefer something with characters/parties that get saved, and you can use on sequential playthroughs. I love the loot hunting aspect of a lot of action RPGs, but I hate the mindless clicking and monotony that comes with it.

I've been playing around with Daggerfall, the Witcher (Great game), Baldur's Gate, Divine Divinity, and stuff of that nature. They're all fantastic games, but I'm looking for something that's a little less story driven, and more coffee break stress relieving action with some loot farming that doesn't become mind-blowingly monotonous.

To clear it up, though, I do like Diablo 2, but just getting tired of that same old thing.

Second part: If there's nothing like that available, I'd also be interested in a less mindless single person RPG like Diablo 2.. ish. Just putting it out there that I couldn't very well get into Sacred. Anyway, sorry for my first post being so long and specific! I'm just looking for new RPGs, because I feel as though I've hit an RPG drought of late.

The closest thing that springs to mind is the Dungeon Siege series (DS3 is due out soon). It's not much of a dungeon crawler, per se, but it fits your criteria for hack & slash & random loot generation.

If DS is not your cup of tea, you're pretty much looking at older games. Two of the rarer game sub-genres, party + dungeon crawling, are difficult to find these days separately, let alone together. Wizardry, Might and Magic, possibly Icewind Dale… items of that nature. But these do not have random loot generation - not in the way that DII does, anyway.

Maybe someone knows of an another game, indie or otherwise.

Yeah, I recently found my old Wizardry 8 CDs, and reinstalled that. Also picked up Icewind Dale off of gog.com and I'm enjoying that. For some reason, I'm just trying to find that perfect RPG to scratch that itch that I have.

To be honest, any indie suggestions for RPGs would be welcome as well, even if they aren't really what I'm looking for specifically. I love finding new games to mess around with. :)

Have you played Torchlight? It definitely has that Diablo-esque gameplay you're looking for, and it's not very story driven either. It also has that strong loot hunting aspect as well.

Two of the devs who designed it were co-designers for Diablo 1&2.

Have you tried Demise? It sounds pretty close to what you are after, except for that you dont have all that much control during the actual combat (tactics are rather about buffing and equipping the right gear).

Sounds like you're after a nice digestible action-rpg.

You mentioned you couldn't get into Sacred (Perhaps shamefully, I've finished it at least three times...) but what about Titan Quest or Silverfall? You can skip through the dialogue and story in both games if that's your whim, and both are loot heavy games with expansions to make your experience even longer.

I'd also mention Throne of Darkness. It's an oriental themed Diablo-esque inspired game that is also party based which seems to fit your criteria.

There's plenty more games out there that might fit the bill.

You also might try a couple of the Kongregate dungeon crawlers. They're great for a lunch break/coffee break type of session. Graphics are fairly simplistic though. You might look at Monster's Den as a start. I can't really link to games from work, but just look it up.

Have you tried Demise? It sounds pretty close to what you are after, except for that you dont have all that much control during the actual combat (tactics are rather about buffing and equipping the right gear).

I would say demise as well...I recently posted I got the beta for ascension which adds quite a bit to the game...need to play it now.

Now, Demise looks like something that I'd be interested in. Is there a Demo or anything, though? Plunking down 33 bucks for an indie game that I have no real info about isn't something I normally do.

Also, Throne of Darkness is almost exactly what I was looking for, thank you! I'm normally more drawn to story driven stuff, but I'm storied out right now.

I'd also definitely accept a story driven RPG where I can fight whenever I want. Call me crazy, but I like the idea of just being able to jump into a fight for a little action to break up talking. I'm really enjoying that about the Witcher (so far). Great storyline, and I can rest to nightfall and just beat up on some people.

There used to be a demo with the first 5 levels of the dungeon. Googling pointed me to this:

http://decklinsdomain.net/demdev/archives/contents.htm (scroll down to the Demise demo)

That would be the demo of the old version that I had shipped from the states back when the game was new, I think I spent about USD 100 on the game. That was after having killed a lot of hours in the demo:)

Last edited:

This.. looks.. exactly what I'm looking for. That looks absolutely incredible! Any idea on a release date? Is it a mod for Fate or something standalone? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere, but I keep seeing "end of March" as a release date. That's getting awfully close, if it's not out already and I just can't find it =P

Between end of march, early april.
Official game, standalone!

Um isn't torchlight made by the fate creator?? Am I missing something?

Um isn't torchlight made by the fate creator?? Am I missing something?

Travis and team made the first Fate for wild tangent then moved on to create Mythos (team ping0) then the now awesome torchlight (runic games).

Another team (hitpoint studios) took over to create added content and features for the fate series.

The core gameplay is still the same, just more content and features.

So they are milking it then...ahh ok.

Works for EA and Activision ;)

True enough;) Although, torchlight was an improvement on the Fate game in every way...so I'm not sure where they are taking this. Torchlight was fate 4 basically.

Back
Top Bottom