SW:TOR. The good, the bad, the good

I got my Sorcerer up to 35 or so but that was back before they made all the changes to enemies so that they were actually interesting.

Star Wars has Sorcerers ???

Oh I didn't know that ... still not sure I could play a SITH although I heard you do get some decent "light" options and choices so maybe it would work.

I finally bit the bullet and got not one but two copies of the game. I have a new roommate moving in so figured I would get a copy for each of use for Xmas as I could use a new MMO for awhile. At least until secret world or world of darkness (if it ever sees the light of day) comes out.

I took a Sith Warrior -> Juggernaught to 50, and an Imperial Agent -> Sniper to 50. Also a Smuggler -> Scoundrel to 36 and a Sith Inquisitor -> Sorcerer to 26.
High level for someone who plays a lot like me was not that great, because I like playing in groups but the later planets were empty (like, you would see 250 people in the first planet, 220 in the 2nd, 150 in the 3rd, 99 in the 4th, 60,… and in the last planet (Ilum) it was 'crowded' if it had more than 9 people in it. So, most group content (which is what I enjoy the must) I couldn't play and just did the solo stuff, which was pretty much the same as the first levels as far as gameplay goes. The class storylines become more epic as you are more powerful of course.
You do have all your companions, so crafting is very fast (I used to send 2 companions to gather, 2 companions to craft, and keep 2 companions to adventure)

That's quite natural, as it was only a beta.

How was the play style of your level 50s? My brief experience told me ranged were quite a bit easier to level than melee, as melee seem a little weak right now.

I was thinking ranged more than melee because of the companion system. If your companion goes down first, you can try to finish off the enemy or make a run for it. If you're playing something more tankish, though, and you go down first then your companion immediately dies of heartbreak.

Ranged are currently easier to level up than melee, though that might change in time. MMO balance is always shifting.

After 20 levels of gameplay: Agreeing with my companion who commented that Coruscant felt like a cold and dead place. Taris was a nice change of pace. Big and open, with lots of different zones of varying degree of difficulty. Nothing too challenging, but not totally brain-dead either. Looking forward to the next planets. The class quest-chain is good too.

You will never leave Taris...never!

Taris ... or … Tardis ? ;)

Hehe azarhal, a lot of people in my guild felt that way, including me. Taris just kept dragging on and on. Luckily, Nar Shadda, Tatooine and Alderaan were all better structured and generally more interesting (in my opinion).

Still playing a bit. It's mild fun - and a good filler MMO until GW2 comes out.

Then it will be all but forgotten.

Hehe azarhal, a lot of people in my guild felt that way, including me. Taris just kept dragging on and on. Luckily, Nar Shadda, Tatooine and Alderaan were all better structured and generally more interesting (in my opinion).

Same thing in my guild. :)

Still playing a bit. It's mild fun - and a good filler MMO until GW2 comes out.

I keep reading posts like this online, Anet will sale lots of copies... I'm waiting for GW2 too, but I don't think I'm going to stop playing SWTOR either, well at least not for a while.

I keep reading posts like this online, Anet will sale lots of copies… I'm waiting for GW2 too, but I don't think I'm going to stop playing SWTOR either, well at least not for a while.

To each his own :)

GW2 seems to have that special something that I'm looking for in any game. This based on videos and developer interviews. My "gut" is telling me it's not empty hype.

TOR is too familiar and executed with what seems like zero passion. More like a copycat design by suits and developed by people who didn't truly invest themselves.

Well, except perhaps for some of the writers.

I'm loving the setting and the overall levelling process. I already have two level 50s (Guardian and Commando) and a few more on the way (Sorcerer 36, Scoundrel 27, Powertech 22 and Marauder 16).

The Sorcerer story is my favorite so far, but the Guardian will remain my main character.

To each his own :)

GW2 seems to have that special something that I'm looking for in any game. This based on videos and developer interviews. My "gut" is telling me it's not empty hype.

TOR is too familiar and executed with what seems like zero passion. More like a copycat design by suits and developed by people who didn't truly invest themselves.

I haven't played a MMO in a while, so TOR doesn't feel too familiar to me.

As for GW2, I'm still playing GW...and I want an Asura! :D

Back
Top Bottom