Vague Wasteland Rumours @ 1Up?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
NMA has picked up a comment from a 1Up podcast two weeks ago where Managing Editor Garnett Lee (at the 80:50 mark) says:
I think we are going to see a spiritual successor to Fallout One and Two from the guy who originally did Wasteland, and I'm just going to leave it at that.
Those who have followed our news for a few years may recall that Brian Fargo from inXile jumped on the Wasteland rights after EA let them expire. Whether 1Up has current news on inXile's plans or is simply assuming they will use the rights at some point is obviously unknown, but I'd point out that inXile has several projects underway and none of them are even close to a hardcore RPG.
More information.

Wait..

..wasn't the spiritual successor to Fallout, Wasteland? I'm confused.

*checks Fallout box*

another brian fargo remake? first he messed up the bard's tale, now he's doing wasteland. i don't have a good feeling about this...

I just want to add, that not so long ago he was quite active, talking about fallout and stuff in interviews, he even wanted to write prologue to Fallout d20 etc.
I know there is very small possibility but maybe there was a reason for him doing this, maybe someone finally understand that making this type of game is less dangerous in terms of sales than making *yet another action RPG*. There's small but still very hungry market for Fallout-style RPG.
Action RPG these days can be a big financial success or a big flop, also it would give them some recognition in media, which they need right now.
You know there will be probably a large debate over Fallout 3 in coming months, journalists would probably also cover in every possible F3 article a talk about a true successor to Fallout, not to mention a large portion of article's bout the successor itself.

Just a thought though, i hope it's true.

If FO3 is successful, then it wouldn't surprise me to see Wasteland revisited get accellerated development!! Done right, it could be a big hit!!

After what Fargo did with Bards Tale, no thanks.

I wrote an email to them but I got a classical PR bullshit:

Hello ,

Unfortunately there is no information available at this time regarding
current or future projects. However, when information becomes available, it
will be posted on our website at www.inxile-entertainment.com. Please check
back with our website periodically for more information.

We appreciate your consideration of our products.

Kind regards,
Roger Turrietta
Office Assistant
inXile Entertainment

Wasteland was released 11 years before Fallout. Brian Fargo was at Interplay at the time and was its producer.

Ken St. Andre and Alan Pavlish were notable people behind it and Michael A. Stackpole lent his writing talents.

Wasteland is one of the top 5 games of all time in my book. Bring it back by all means.

Cool!

Wasteland 2 would be a great idea!
Make a better game than FO3 and let Bethesda spend the big bucks on making the post-nuclear theme popular.

Meh. I could care less what InXile is working on after the Bard's Tale fiasco. Maybe they at least learned not to try and make a quick buck by producing a mediocre game and slapping a nostalgic label on it.

Don't recall seeing that. Anyway, my bet is that there is no way inXile will do a "real" Wasteland CRPG. My bet is he saw EA had let the rights expire, which means it cost him little to lodge for the trademark. It was simply there and he liked the idea for nostalgia's sake. When it actually comes down to making a game, it's too niche and they puruse other things.

Just a quick update Brian Fargo said "I am indeed looking into bringing back the game that spawned the Fallout series. Stay tuned...."

I saw this at Duck and Cover and NMA. From what I've read about Brian Fargo at NMA and D&C he doesn't BS the press as much as Beth. For those of you who were turned off by 'The Bards Tale' Fargo never said it was going to be a deep RPG experience. He concentrated on the humor of it and IMO it was damn funny. It's the first game that actually made me laugh since the Space Quest Series.

Also Fargo said back in 2003 when he aquired the license "
As for Wasteland, I can't give much commentary on it yet but it would be a totally different treatment than what we are doing with BT. Wasteland is a heavier subject matter with a more intense system behind it."

This gives me some hope that Wasteland 2 will be the game that most of us have been waiting for.

Just for the sake of trivia, the next Wasteland game would have been Wasteland 3 if EA had its way back in 1990 when Fountain of Dreams was released. For marketing purposes (read: $) some execs at EA wanted it to be Wasteland 2.

Moby Games explains it well:

Although the programmers of Wasteland broke off from Electronic Arts to form Interplay, EA still retained the copyright for Wasteland. They tried to capitalize on the success of Wasteland by releasing their own post-apocalyptic game Fountain of Dreams, but fell short of gamer's expectations.

Meantime, exists in an almost completed form but was never released due to the EA copyright, and now the code is so old it probably wouldn't be economical to rewrite it for MS-DOS.

Interplay did however release their own unofficial follow-up to Wasteland in the form of Fallout, which many feel remains true to the original spirit of Wasteland.

I personally loved Fountain of Dreams. It came out before the internet as we know it existed and my friends and I were thrilled that it was so similar to Wasteland in look and gameplay. We did not know, or care, about the corporate power plays going on.

PS Meantime was to be the true sequel to Wasteland.

I don't count Fountain of Dreams as wasteland 2. I played it for for about a day and gave up. Too boring for my taste.

J

For those of you who were turned off by 'The Bards Tale' Fargo never said it was going to be a deep RPG experience. He concentrated on the humor of it and IMO it was damn funny. It's the first game that actually made me laugh since the Space Quest Series.

i agree. i was expecting a real rpg, but the game really made ma laugh... btw if there where no games that made you laugh since space quest... try day of the tentacle/sam & max: hit the road... funniest games ever made, if you ask me.

The Duck and Cover newsbit isn't very clear to me. He told them in an email? A forum reply somewhere?

As for BT being funny....yeah, OK. I guess that's a matter of taste. In my opinion, they made fundamental gameplay design mistakes and that is a bigger issue than anything else - if you are going to "reimagine" an old franchise, the changes you make had better be good. To completely change into basically a new genre (action/RPG) and not get that right doesn't impress me much.

i agree. i was expecting a real rpg, but the game really made ma laugh... btw if there where no games that made you laugh since space quest... try day of the tentacle/sam & max: hit the road... funniest games ever made, if you ask me.

I've heard good things about Sam & Max but never got around to actually playing it. I'll give it a shot thanks for the tip.

The Duck and Cover newsbit isn't very clear to me. He told them in an email? A forum reply somewhere?

As for BT being funny....yeah, OK. I guess that's a matter of taste. In my opinion, they made fundamental gameplay design mistakes and that is a bigger issue than anything else - if you are going to "reimagine" an old franchise, the changes you make had better be good. To completely change into basically a new genre (action/RPG) and not get that right doesn't impress me much.

I didn't think about where they got the newsbit but I would assume that it's credible or D&C is going to have an angry horde of fans to deal with :cm: I hope that's it credible anyways, it's the first ray of sunshine I've seen since Beth aquired the Fallout IP. Assuming that Fargo doesn't do another reimagining and sticks to what made Wasteland and Fallout great. Even though I did like Fargo's new Bard's Tale I would like to see him take this one a bit more seriously or at least more RPG and less Diablo.

I remember Brian Fargo saying that the (new) Bard's Tale were meant to a spoof, a mockery and a parody on (or off??) traditional rpgs where the main character is sort of ushered into the main quest because it is written or the stars made it so.

Unfortunately, I didn't find the Bard's bragging about --- ahem --- the women - ahem --- and how how many fiends he's slayed much amusing. The humour in this game was, imo, brawdy and adolescent. But that could maybe be overlooked.

What I couldn't overlook (during the demo I played) was the clunky gameplay...

Back
Top Bottom