Wasteland 2 - Interviews @ RPS, NowGamer, Dagon's Lair

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Here's a trio of Wasteland 2 interviews (and a Matt Chat on Wasteland 1 at the end).
First, RPS catches up with Brian Fargo to chat about Obsidian's assistance:
RPS: Do you think it’s going to work naturally or might there be a clash, in that Wasteland is about player agency and freedom, while the game he’s most revered for, Planescape, is very much a fixed, set narrative?
Fargo: No, they won’t clash at all. What Chris brings is this wonderful density to his levels. So he’ll be involved with the overall, but he’ll also be given some sections in particular that he’ll be able to put his stamp on. It’s sort of like in science fiction novels where multiple authors get involved and do their own parts, all with their own style.
To me, it’s going to be cool because it’s going to give a greater sense of variety as you move around the world. But there’s no way on Earth this is not going to be a sandbox type game.
NowGamer and Fargo talk about "Kickstarter, Plot and Gameplay", though there isn't much new to add:

What can you tell us about your plans for Wasteland 2 in terms of gameplay, visual themes etc? Will it remain true to the original?
We are going to build upon all the elements that made Wasteland great. You control of a group of desert rangers in the southwest part of the states who are seeking to restore some law and order into a post apocalyptic world.
But despite their mission of restoring peace it is up to the players to decide the morality of their choices. We will not preach what behavior to take and nor will every negative thing you do necessarily turn into something bad happening to you.
The game will be party based like the original, feature modern day weapons for combat and use the skill system that everyone loved so much. Visual themes will run the gamut from desolate and bleak to cities that are attempting to recover from destruction.
From French site Dagon's Lair:
About the game itself : your focus is to please the community and fans with top-down view, turn-based combats, well, all the old-school good stuff, fans loved about old RPGs. But how far will you go ? Many gamers evolved and are now used to easy interface, and often being « hand held » in games.
We are not going to stray from the original formula that made these classic games work so well and perhaps the challenge/difficulty will be more than some can handle. But there is no reason to not take advantage of UI conventions like allowing the user to customize it the way they want. There is more flexibility in change when it doesn’t hurt the core experience but it isn’t like Fallout 1/2, Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale weren’t accessible. I think people spend too much time trying to dumb down the experience when in fact most the players are quite smart.
Lastly - and not actually Wasteland 2 - the latest Matt Chat video is on the original Wasteland.

More information.

To be honest I doubt they will be able to live up to people's expectations. The reactions have been a bit too much like "Halleluja!" and awesome youth/childhood memories are hard to beat.

If it's not awesome, well... I've spent $15 on some pretty bad games before. I think that's what I paid for Fable 3. Whatever comes of this, it has to be better than that.

Top Down revolutions!!

Man this is a great year for gaming. Finally I see hope, hope that the level once reached of immersion and mechanics is not tossed away anymore because the Marketing guys say that's the only way

Is the actual catastrophe that produced the Wasteland explained in game? Was it a nuclear war?

Is the actual catastrophe that produced the Wasteland explained in game? Was it a nuclear war?
And here's an animated GIF (this is ingame).

Wasteland_animated_title.gif

Back
Top Bottom