What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Iron Man - pretty enjoyable watch and thrilling experience, almost like when first time saw the RoboCop movie decades ago. Overall very solid film in directing, actions, etc.

Went and saw The Forbidden Kingdom with my 10 year old son last Saturday night. He really enjoyed it (he love's anything martial arts), so it was a fun watch. I thought it was pretty good... definitely not terrible. So as a father/son movie... it was great.

We're going to see Iron Man tonight... I still can't believe Robert Downey Jr. landed that role... but it looks like he may do a good job... we'll see.

Took my oldest to see Iron Man tonight... it was really fun. I was curious how Robert Downey Jr. would handle the role... and I think he did a great job.

I'm not a big comic fan, so I know virtually nothing about the Iron Man back story or history... but the movie sure was done well, and a blast to watch. My son loved it too!

Watched No Country for Old Men this weekend--thanks for the rec, JDR. My husband hated the ending, but I thought it was an excellent movie on the nature of evil, and also an interesting re-take of the Western genre. Everyone in it turned in an exceptional performance, even Harrelson, whom I don't particularly care for.

Well, we enjoyed Forbidden Kingdom for the most part. Was fun to watch in the theater, but I dont think I'll buy it.
The fight scenes were cool, the dialogue was atrocious (the asians sounded like non-asians doing chop socky accent), and I didnt like the ending. It just wrapped up far too snuggly-wuggly for me. Everyone "good" who dies comes waltzing back just as the final curtain drops. I really hate that. Have some balls, you know, let the story end without sunshine beaming out of every orifice.

and I dislike Michael Angarano, as an actor he is the perpetual twerp. He's fine being a twerp (albeit a pretty annoying one), but once he inevitably outgrows his twerphood as the movie unfolds - sorry I just cant buy it. The guy's a twerp, period. If i never see him in another movie again, that will be quite fine w/ me. If I see him in a dark alley, I'll beat him up and take his lunch money.

Aww....pity, he do seem like a guy that could be mauled by tiger paw in dark alley...;)
home.jpg

PS: Overall the film is quite fun to watch but the story and plot are bad.

Watched No Country for Old Men this weekend--thanks for the rec, JDR. My husband hated the ending, but I thought it was an excellent movie on the nature of evil, and also an interesting re-take of the Western genre. Everyone in it turned in an exceptional performance, even Harrelson, whom I don't particularly care for.

I saw it a few weeks ago and it wasn't such a memorable movie for me. I don't think I will see this one ever again, not that it was that bad, but just not good enough.

Rented AvP Requiem over the weekend. What a dud. You couldn't even appreciate the creature effects since all the battles were shown in utter darkness.

Also rented Golden Compass for the Wild Dogs and watched it with them. I didn't really like the way the compass gave the girl any answer she wanted with no need for interpretation (since when have oracles/prophesies/truths ever been clear and easy to understand?), but I enjoyed the show enough to ignore that. Sam Elliot's character seemed to pop up out of nowhere and know too much to be "in the right place at the right time", but even that I was willing to ignore. I felt horribly ripped off by the ending, or lack thereof. The sledgehammer-blatant "Here comes a sequel!" ruined the experience for me. Sad, because it was an enjoyable show until that point.

I saw it a few weeks ago and it wasn't such a memorable movie for me. I don't think I will see this one ever again, not that it was that bad, but just not good enough.

First person I've ever heard say that. Maybe try watching it again, I enjoyed it even more the 2nd time I saw it. Definitely deserving of the accolades it received.

I'm rewatching House of Cards, a British miniseries from the 90s. It's a quality political satire about leadership struggle and manipulation:) Season two should be roughly as good, while memory hints at the third installment being somewhat worse.

I've got House of Cards in my NF queue, Zaluekos--I thought it sounded good and we love the brit tv at our house. Looking forward to it.

Caught Silverado last weekend--amazingly with my love of westerns, I'd never seen it. If you're at all fond of the genre, this is one of the best ever.

Frontier(s)

A very promising horror stuff from French, quite similar to the style of SAW or HOSTEL. It was one of the 8 Films to Die For at Horrorfest 2007, but removed due to extreme brutality and gore. The MPAA giving the film an NC-17 rating, so it hits theatres in the US unrated May 9, 2008.

See the Shasherpool review here.

It gaining quite an impressive reviews for a horror film on Rotten tomatoes.

See the trailer here - Warning! not for kid and grandma!.

I've got House of Cards in my NF queue, Zaluekos--I thought it sounded good and we love the brit tv at our house. Looking forward to it.

It is neat Machiavellian stuff that gets even better if you have some superficial knowledge of the British political system and the Thatcher/Major years.:) After finishing the box over a weak I found the third season a bit better than I remembered it, but still not quite up to the first two.

EDIT: Silverado is one of my favourite westerns as well, but the best Western is IMHO the unforgiven. Not really my genre though.

There were actually two westerns called The Unforgiven. Z--I'm guessing you mean the Clint Eastwood flick--great movie but though nobody probably remembers the Burt Lancaster/Audrey Hepburn one, it also was excellent. We caught another Western last weekend, 3:10 to Yuma, with Russell Crowe, which I thought was pretty good, til the last fifteen minutes, when it got a bit far-fetched. Still, worth watching.

Also watched an excellent 6 hour documentary on FDR on PBS(public TV) in episodes over the last two weeks. Every time I see biographies like this it makes me realize how little I know about history.

I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark this past weekend with my oldest son. He really wants to go see the new Indiana Jones movie, but he had never seen any of the previous ones. So I broke out the DVD and we watched it together. He really enjoyed it, so now we're planning on seeing the new Indy this weekend.

I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark this past weekend with my oldest son. He really wants to go see the new Indiana Jones movie, but he had never seen any of the previous ones. So I broke out the DVD and we watched it together. He really enjoyed it, so now we're planning on seeing the new Indy this weekend.

I went to see the new Indiana Jones movie at the cinema, but was somewhat disappointed. It looked great, but felt really thin. I honestly don't know why it got 8.6 at imdb.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Just back from watching the film. Not the best of Indiana Jones series but neither the worst. Surprisingly, the actions, jokes and everything else felt exactly like the series from yesteryears, even the opening Paramount Pictures logo looks as in the 80's.

Back
Top Bottom