Original Sin - Preview @ Buffed

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A lengthy preview of Divinity Original Sin is available on Buffed.de. It is in german, so if you do not master the language you might want to try the google translation, but as usual it gives some real odd translations.
They are very pleased with what they saw, but what the preview also mentions is that part of the funding for Origin of Sin will be from a Kickstarter campaign that is supposedly to start a few months before the currently scheduled release date of September/October.
More information.

Some how I think kickstart is being abused (this is not really directed at original sin). But I though the intent was to fund things that otherwise could not be funded. Yet a lot of folks are running kickstart campaign at the very end of the development cycle which seems counter intuitive (given the original intent) to me. Still if they offer a drm free version on kickstart I'll probably bite ;)

God... Instead of announcing that there will be kickstarter project, they could have make one already.
Either modern PR is pretty bad or there is some sort of lack of courage because of unsuccessful projects. This, however, is TDE game and I don't see it can fail - unless they set the desired amount on $34785638765876963489653.

And I'll pledge definetly.

TDE? What did you say?

I thought it was a ARPG

Some how I think kickstart is being abused (this is not really directed at original sin). But I though the intent was to fund things that otherwise could not be funded. Yet a lot of folks are running kickstart campaign at the very end of the development cycle which seems counter intuitive (given the original intent) to me. Still if they offer a drm free version on kickstart I'll probably bite ;)

I think kickstarter works well as a way to attract prepurchases and particularly when combined with a greenlight campaign. I don't see a problem with that, since it lowers the overall cost of getting a game to market for independent developers and so enables them to tackle larger projects without being beholden to a publisher. That's all very positive I think for gamers - surely the main advantage to us is not having the suits decide on what new games get made.

Wait a minute, isn't this set in Larian's own universe rather than DSA (because I like how it sounds in German better, natch)?

Wait a minute, isn't this set in Larian's own universe rather than DSA (because I like how it sounds in German better, natch)?

It is set in the Divine Divinity universe. I have no idea why joxer said TDE.

God… Instead of announcing that there will be kickstarter project, they could have make one already.

Pre-event publicity helps the momentum; something that large budget kickstarters definitely need. Kickstarters make most of their money at the beginning and the end of the run, so this seems like a sensible announcement.

I'm kinda glad to hear they'll be on Kickstarter. After watching the making of video for Eco Draconis and seeing how much was cut out because of publisher deadlines and budgets, I'm happy to have a chance to donate. I like to see Larian moving to be more independent as I really like their approach to RPGs.

I tried to read that google translation. Lol forget it...

I'm kinda glad to hear they'll be on Kickstarter. After watching the making of video for Eco Draconis and seeing how much was cut out because of publisher deadlines and budgets…

I agree. Kickstarter is appearing to be a God-send for a lot of creativity we are seeing these days. It's been a long 10-15 years of publisher-driven same-old-same-old FPS and action RPG games.

Checked that with Larian Studios and at the moment they are only toying with the idea of running a Kickstarter. It might and might not happen.

Actually many games that end up being canceled are canceled because they run out of money towards the end of the development cycle. Now that there is kickstarter that may be able to be prevented.

redman5427: This is not an ARPG and is a Turn-based game.

Back
Top Bottom