F:NV Best Fallout New Vegas Mods 2011

Fallout: New Vegas
Wasn't aware you were using Bobblehunt afterall or I would have mentioned this sooner: there's a slight bug with the included UHNV - bobblehunt.esp - it doesn't work with medicine and… one other bobblehead I can't remember right now.

Link to fixed esp: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kh4qwx68ghoefj/UHNV-Bobblehunt.esp

Having said that, the updated esp should work fine provided that you add bobbleheads to the hideout and only click on other pedestals (school, Novac, 38) afterwards to sync them as well. I didn't have much luck adding bobbleheads to the hideout after adding them to the others.

How do you like the Hideout? It's pretty fun to watch its decorations slowly build up as you complete quests throughout the game.

Try that clean save, though, with URWLNV.

Aha, Medicine was one of them. Oh well. It looks like the bheads may be stuck in Novac. I'll look into being able to remove/resync them, and fixing that esp. Once I return from Zion.

Thanks!

The Underground Hideout is an amazing addition. The trophies part is one of the best touches, as are the puzzles in the acquisition quest. I am ignoring reactor management and a home for companions, for now. Not sure what to make of the jacuzzi tub. ;)

However, pretty sure that all the sorters and containers are more work to keep straight than just having 4 containers for weapons, apparel, aid, and misc. I manually sort junk so that I don't store stuff I want to keep, equip, or hotkey. I suppose the smaller number of items in each container helps prevent the container glitch from happening?

EDIT:

HDR? Do you mean the desaturate setting in the weather settings? I have it turned off. I tried it on, but it didn't help.

Oh god, Zion… absolutely the most boring DLC ever. All I kept thinking was, "The actual Zion park is 10,000x better than this." Do yourself a favor and get the updated textures from the Textures Over Time page if you haven't already.

Regarding the Bobbleheads, you could always load up FNVEdit and look at the item codes for the ones you planted in Novac. Then simply console in extra copies (player.additem xxxxxxxx 1). I don't currently have UHNV loaded or I'd look em up for you.

Glad you like UHNV; it truly is a clear work of love on the author's part. Not sure what you mean by the container glitch though. Have you been to the armory? That's where most of my excess items would end up going; that and the mannequin room.

Btw, if you encounter slowdowns inside the Hideout, try enabling the Purge Cell Buffers option inside Heidi. That or manually using the console to enter in "PCB." Save before you do that though, especially if you're inside the armory or display room.

Already have the ToT upgrade for the Zion textures. Looks nice. But it's more like Disneyland than the real thing. I wasn't surprised...

The container glitch randomly happens in any container that has too many items. It's a glitch that's been around since Oblivion. My point was that having tons of separate containers in the UH reduces the chances of the glitch from occurring. It has already hit me a few times using a Goodsprings home for storage.

Yeah I've had just a tiny but of microstuttering in the hideout. Nowhere else. Not annoying, though. Good to know about the purge cell buffers purpose now. I wish modders would document their mods better. :)

Hot damn! Reading this thread, I'm getting a serious urge to replay F:NV, but this time modded to the gills. I'm just a bit concerned how stable the game's going to be then. You see, I had enough stability problems already back in the day with the more-or-less vanilla F:NV. If memory serves, I had some early version of Mission Mojave and few other mods (all minor stuff) only. By the 30-40 hour mark the game had become annoyingly unstable (I guess it took me about 50-60 hours to go through the game - sans DLCs). I'm worried that heavily modding F:NV could make its stability even worse - and that would be unacceptable. So, how's the game stability for you guys?

P.S. Also, is there a mod to lessen the frequency of the Legionnary Assassin teams that start to haunt you when you've made an enemy of the Legion. I remember them getting to be really annoying, respawining very frequently (like every game day) and after every load to continue game. (Plus they always manage to kill Rex, who was my "pack mule", so it became a routine of mine to "park" Rex after every reload, wander around a bit (max. 2 minutes) and let the assassin team attack (yet again), kill them, get back to Rex, etc.).

I haven't made myself an enemy of the legion... yet, so I can't speak to that issue. However, my modded game has been pretty stable. Just a few crashes, and only a little stuttering occaisionally. This with maximum eye candy settings, and super hi res texture mods.

Now if I could fix the enemies from respawning so quickly and right on top of me in Honest Hearts, I'd be happy. It's really making exploration tedious. Also, I'm gaining levels way too quickly in Zion.

Part of Project Nevada allows you to rebalance combat, and a small part of that is adjusting respawns as well as XP earned through combat, hacking, speech, and map discoveries. Wonderful mod really, and you can pick & choose what you want to install/enable to your heart's content.

There are mods to handle both respawns and experience separately on their own if you prefer, but I have never tried them. Simply search for respawn and experience. As for assassin frequency, the only thing I found was this mod. But why are you hated by the great and honorable Caesar?

Took some new screenshots last night for a mod patch I've uploaded over there, me like:
FalloutNV2013-10-1204-39-00-67.jpg~original

Hey Drithius, thanks for all the info and updates in this thread - I had been thinking about giving New Vegas another shot a couple weeks ago (never really "got into it" in my first attempt), and the recent activity in this thread was perfectly timed! I was apprehensive about going through the process of re-learning how to mod Fallout 3/NV, but this thread was extremely helpful - such as Gopher's tutorials, which I was never aware of before.

Now my modded playthrough is running like a champ. The only problem I have is that DFB random encounters doesn't appear to be triggering - and I wonder if IWS is interfering. I saw on your mod list that you had both installed; is there anything special that needs to be done in order to run both at the same time, or does IWS override DFB?

Glad you're enjoying the game! It's great with mods.

IWS and DFB work well together. A bit too well sometimes; I was greeted by half a dozen raiders battling half a dozen fiends, all set against a dozen feral ghouls last night… at lvl 8. Heh.
  • Do you see a DFB - Random Encounters entry on your MCM? If not, make sure you've downloaded the fix in addition to the main esm, available on the same page.

Lemme know if that was it.

Otherwise, be mindful of IWS; it's single-handedly caused more of my crashes than anything else combined. If I'm fast traveling to a high-spawn area, such as around Camp McCarran, I make a habit to always purge cell buffers before I do so (yay shameless plug). Lots of corpses can also cause issues; I've had *some* luck by doubling the iPreloadSizeLimit value in \documents\…\…\Fallout.ini. You can also pre-emptively delete or "Zap" corpses, but that obviously changes the dynamic of the game.

I'm hoping Fallout 4's engine isn't so pathetic in terms of stability in this arena, but I have my doubts with it likely using the Creation Engine, aka Gamebryo 1.01.

Last edited:
Glad you're enjoying the game! It's great with mods.

Yes, I'm having a much better experience compared to my disappointing mostly vanilla run a few years back. I still have issues, frustrations, and complaints with some of the world design (and design choices in general) but the core ideas of the game are still pretty fantastic for the most part.

One thing I've been quick to do is severely reduce XP gain through Project Nevada - even with that lowered to 33%, I've hit level 9 very quickly, probably thanks to IWS. Aside from that, the game looks much better without even going completely overboard with graphics and lightning mods.

Bullet Time - a feature that I normally despise in most games - is also a major lifesaver in New Vegas. This is probably thanks to the engine, but enemy movement in New Vegas/FO3 is so janky, stilted, and awkward that aiming in real-time is extremely frustrating. Now I can actually line up my shots, and with the right balance conditions in place, the gameplay is still quite challenging.

These examples combined with conveniences - such as smoother interface functionality - drastically improve the base game.

[*]Do you see a DFB - Random Encounters entry on your MCM? If not, make sure you've downloaded the fix in addition to the main esm, available on the same.

Yikes, I read every word on the description page and didn't notice that extra file. I should have checked the file page more closely, but normally this sort of thing is mentioned by the mod author. Oops!

I'm not sure if it's working now, but I encountered a heavy concentration of fiends outside of New Vegas (on the west side of Fort McCarren). I'm not sure if this is from DFB or IWS (or both!) but this was much more fun than my tedious trek from Primm to Vegas, where I only encountered a few radscorpions on an otherwise uneventful, boring walk. I would never want too much combat in any game, but there needs to be some danger and excitement while exploring and traveling. If DBS is now running (and I think it is), this problem should be solved now.

Thanks for the heads up on IWS! I haven't encountered any crashes yet, but it's good to know that it can potentially cause problems. Congrats on your mod! (small as it may be, it might help some people out). One question: What does "purging cell buffers" do exactly? I'm not very familiar with cell terminology and functions in Bethesda-tech driven games.

I'm hoping Fallout 4's engine isn't so pathetic in terms of stability in this arena, but I have my doubts with it likely using the Creation Engine, aka Gamebryo 1.01.

Best not to get your hopes up there ;). It's a shame given Bethesda's resources, but they seem oddly content with their tech, probably due to familiarity. If only the parent company wasn't wasting what must be an astronomical sum on the Elder Scrolls MMO and used these funds instead to create a world-beating open-world engine from the ground up…

One question: What does "purging cell buffers" do exactly?

It clears out the cached data from old visited world cells that you're currently not in. The game engine is supposed to do this on its own but it doesn't do a very good job sometimes. You'll notice you've got a backlog of old data slowing you down if containers, corpses, vendors take longer than expected to load. It can also cause a major reduction in fps if you've been fast traveling a lot.

All those fiends around McCarran are likely the product of IWS; it plays around with vanilla values so that if there was to be one fiend in a particular location before, there'll now be 2-3, etc. On the other hand, DFB spawns are a little less subtle, simply having a chance to spawn x type of enemies every y amount of seconds on certain locations of the world (when you're near). It helps to add some variety and surprise to repeat playthroughs. Both are entirely configurable in the MCM menu.

Last edited:
I have to say that compared to FO3, vanilla NV over does the purging of cells I walk away from. Spawned enemies disappear. It forgets and doesn't respawn unless you reload or fast travel. Honest Hearts doesn't have this problem. But enemy respawn rate is too high just walking around… Too much so for my taste.

Looks like Project Nevada allows to you raise the level cap as well as reduce XP. I am getting close to the cap, so that looks nice. BTW, that's an impressive wide set of optional mods in Project Nevada. Nice that they made it pick and choosable and modifiable using in game settings via MCM. Thanks for the reference.

Last edited:
Was looking over Fallout 3 mods and I spied this
5365-1-1238802407.jpg

Lore be damned, oh to have something similar in FNV! It would make my inner 80's child scream out in eternal joy.

Wasn't aware you were using Bobblehunt afterall or I would have mentioned this sooner: there's a slight bug with the included UHNV - bobblehunt.esp - it doesn't work with medicine and… one other bobblehead I can't remember right now.

Link to fixed esp: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kh4qwx68ghoefj/UHNV-Bobblehunt.esp

Having said that, the updated esp should work fine provided that you add bobbleheads to the hideout and only click on other pedestals (school, Novac, 38) afterwards to sync them as well. I didn't have much luck adding bobbleheads to the hideout after adding them to the others.

Ok, tried this out. But couldn't get the hideout stand to sync with the Novac stand. So I tried to player.additem the bobbleheads already collected to later add them to the hideout display. The formIDs for the bobblehead mod seen in FNVedit weren't recognized by the FO:NV console. So I tried to get the FormIDs from https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kh4qwx68ghoefj/UHNV-Bobblehunt.esp. FNVedit barfed on this .esp. Unrecognized data or some such. So for now I am not using the display in the hideout.

Last edited:
You can't sync the the Hideout with Novac, but you can sync Novac with the Hideout. The Form Id's for the different bobbleheads should be in the original (non UHNV) bobblehunt esp.

Not exactly sure what you mean by FNVEdit barfing… The UHNV-Bobblehunt.esp file only requires:
FalloutNV.esm
Bobblehunt.esp
UHNV.esp

Make sure it was still in the proper load order after having replaced your old version.

Back
Top Bottom