Fallout: New Vegas - More DLC Coming

Uhm... 70% is an average - on a non-existent scale where 140% is top :p

Have a look at MetaC & see how many decent games languish around 70%...(hint: TOEE)

Occams razor would disagree? If majority says its average then most likely it is average and not a hidden gem.

Numbers are meaningless when it comes to reviews. You have to read the content to find out if it's a game that appeals to you or not.

I'll be forced to give a score one day in a blog or whatever and it will still be meaningless without any context.

70% WTF does that mean anyways? How exactly did they come to that conclusion? Were there tests involved? Do they rate every portion of the game?

The only number based score system that is halfway decent is CRPG Addict's Game Innovation, Merriment, Likability, and Engagement Test (GIMLET). He gives detailed explanations to almost every portion of the game.

All these other number based scores are pure whimsy or based upon the mood of the reviewer.

Uhm… 70% is an average - on a non-existent scale where 140% is top :p

Have a look at MetaC & see how many decent games languish around 70%…(hint: TOEE)
I didnt invent the scale but generally 70% is average. Thats unless I have somhow understood game reviews wrong for the past 20 years.
Numbers are meaningless when it comes to reviews. You have to read the content to find out if it's a game that appeals to you or not.
Just because I talked about numbers you assumed I didnt actually read the reviews? Didnt you notice I posted three quots to add the numbers? Where do you think i got the quotes from? I got them from the different reviews I read. Bingo! :smartass:
70% WTF does that mean anyways? How exactly did they come to that conclusion? Were there tests involved? Do they rate every portion of the game?
It generally means that the game is around 70% give or take few points say 65-75%. Id say its rare to find 70% game superb and flawless 90-95% no matter how niche or different your personal taste is.

Also there are exceptions like if you KNOW a reviews taste then you can trust him more. Ive read reviews form som critics for 20 years now and I know exactly what kind of games they like so I hardly ever get disappointed by their judgement.

Last edited:
Just because I talked about numbers you assumed I didnt actually read the reviews? Didnt you notice I posted three quots to add the numbers? Where do you think i got the quotes from? I got them from the different reviews I read. Bingo! :smartass:

It generally means that the game is around 70% give or take few points say 65-75%. Id say its rare to find 70% game superb and flawless 90-95% no matter how niche or different your personal taste is.

Also there are exceptions like if you KNOW a reviews taste then you can trust him more. Ive read reviews form som critics for 20 years now and I know exactly what kind of games they like so I hardly ever get disappointed by their judgement.

You really love numbers huh? Fine you can love your precious 70%, but that still doesn't make them easily manipulated or just flat out meaningless. I've loved games that were ranked very low 2 stars, 50% whatever and I've hated games that were supposedly the next best thing since sliced bread.

It's a meaningless number to attract attention to the review, but if you have to have them then I would have hoped that the reviewers would attempt to do something along the lines that CRPGAddict has done. I don't find that's the case most of the time.

BTW, are we really going to debate numbered reviews? Sorta seems pointless to me.

I give this debate a 4 out of 10 rats. :D

See meaningless. What did I base that on? Other conversations I've had? Other debates?

You really love numbers huh? Fine you can love your precious 70%, but that still doesn't make them easily manipulated or just flat out meaningless. I've loved games that were ranked very low 2 stars, 50% whatever and I've hated games that were supposedly the next best thing since sliced bread.

It's a meaningless number to attract attention to the review, but if you have to have them then I would have hoped that the reviewers would attempt to do something along the lines that CRPGAddict has done. I don't find that's the case most of the time.

BTW, are we really going to debate numbered reviews? Sorta seems pointless to me.

I give this debate a 4 out of 10 rats. :D

See meaningless. What did I base that on? Other conversations I've had? Other debates?
I just find it ridiculous to say that reviews dont mean anything and that there is a hidden gem in every poor to average score. After reading game reviews (and playing games) for 20 years Ive learned a lot of about them and they sure as hell arent useless.

Its nice that you have found your moneys worth from buying poor/average games. However for me buying poorly reviewed games (<insert here 30-40 games that suck>) has mostly been a waste of money so Ive learned to read the reviews. Saves both valuable money and time. And its fun too.

The current official scale is 40% - 100%, btw.
((super reliable) source: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/gothic-3—-forsaken-gods)
And 70% is nicely in the middle.

Last edited:
Nope, never said that reviews are ridiculous. I SAID NUMBERS that go with reviews are worthless. Reviews are great, just lose the arbitrary numbers that mean less than nothing.

Debate Review - 2 out of 10 rats. 2 rats taken away for lack of comprehension skills. ;)

@DeepO Thank you for linking that. I was thinking about doing that, but really didn't care that much about debating silly numbers that reviewers tack on willy nilly.

Nope, never said that reviews are ridiculous. I SAID NUMBERS that go with reviews are worthless. Reviews are great, just lose the arbitrary numbers that mean less than nothing.

2 out of 10 rats. 2 rats taken away for lack of comprehension skills. ;)
My reading skills are related to the reading skills of other participants. So you get F too. ;*)

And no numbers are not worthless! Numbers like good pictures can be worth a thousand words. It all depends on how you use them.

Last edited:
No no no no no no!

It's not A, B, C, D, F system. That is standardized and has actual tests that go along with those scores. No we must have some number that we just grab however the mood suits us.

1 out of 10 rats now. Why? No reason. I just felt like taking a rat away.

No no no no no no!

It's not A, B, C, D, F system. That is standardized and has actual tests that go along with those scores. No we must have some number that we just grab however the mood suits us.

1 out of 10 rats now. Why? No reason. I just felt like taking a rat away.
I thought you hated numbers so I used alphabets instead. But I knew there was a hidden numbers-lover somwhere out there. Thanks for proving it.

Back
Top Bottom