ES4: Shivering Isles - Only Expansion @ OXM

Dhruin

SasqWatch
OXM is reporting an interview with 360 Magazine that sees Pete Hines saying Shivering Isles will be the first and last Oblivion expansion:
Speaking to 360 Gamer Magazine, Bethesda's Peter Hines stated; "Work pretty much started on Shivering Isles once Oblivion was done. We started looking at what we wanted to do, where we wanted to set it, all that stuff. It pretty much started last March. Shivering Isles is our last big thing: it’s our first and last expansion for Oblivion."
More information.

strange that it would be the first and only. at least i can focus on other games after the expansion.

Now they have a 2nd RPG brand (Fallout). Maybe they´ve decided to spend their resources on accelerating their release output for full price games. Full version in even years, add-on in uneven years sounds logical.

MODs (however fine they might be) are not equal to expansions. I'm a bit sad that there won't be any more expansions, but if this means they'll get Fallout 3 out sooner and consequently commence work on TES 5, then so be it! ;)

I don't necessarily need new features . I'd prefer a new storyline once I've beaten the game, complete with new dialogues/quests/whatnot, which can only be provided by an (official) expansion. IMHO.

I don't necessarily need new features . I'd prefer a new storyline once I've beaten the game, complete with new dialogues/quests/whatnot, which can only be provided by an (official) expansion. IMHO.

New storylines too naturally. Hers som examples of content mods for morrowind:

Leaves of Lorien 1.2
- This mod adds a sleepy little island (Isle of Elenna) off the coast, directly south of Ebonheart docks. A bridge connects the mainland to the island. Pay heed to the "Welcome" pylons, for they hold the dreams of the Elves. The Island has been abandoned. The traces of a race of elves remain scattered across the island. The weeping trees bear gifts to aid you in your journeys. A full set of armour is waiting for you, and a challenge to seek out and claim the the armours of the High-elves and Dwarves who have long since left the Isle of Vardenfell [7 total, gender specific]. The mod also adds a playable race, the Valmer or Grey Elves. Alternate Link

Korobal Island v1.2
- 45 quests, a new landmass, and 344 new NPCs. Takes a build as you go approach.

Muffinwind
- Over 150 new NPCs, 100 new locations, and 20 hours of gameplay. It all amounts to some serious fun!

Oluhan 1.13 Final
- Adds a new faction, 40 quests, a secret underground city, and over 140 NPCs. Best of all you can hit the ground running at Level 1 with this mod.

The Black Mill
- Very long quest and new landmass. For level 25 and up.

There's no point in making expansions when hordes of people are buying horse armour mods. I think the only reason for Shivering Isles to be released is that Bethesda started working on it before it was established that the "pay $2 for a 2-hour work" approach works wonders.

There's no point in making expansions when hordes of people are buying horse armour mods. I think the only reason for Shivering Isles to be released is that Bethesda started working on it before it was established that the "pay $2 for a 2-hour work" approach works wonders.

This doesnt make any sense to me. Besides the very lame horse armour and the lame spell tomes, the other plug-ins offer decent and even good content (depending on players, of course). According to this logic, Bethsoft would be creating a Window Dressing mod for the many houses one can buy in OB, a Cooking tomes mod, or a Silk Shirts & Suede Shoes mod. 2-hour work for each ? Hell, in one week's time they could put out a whole panoply of such mods. And with the release of Shivering Isles, they could remake them all :twisted:, like Talking Horse Armour.
Where are all these mods ?

Well, I'm pretty sure they'll appear eventually. If no, then of course I'm mistaken and either the idea wasn't such a huge success or Bethesda decided to do something a bit less ridiculous. But it's entirely reasonable not to release any smaller mods closer to the release of the expansion. There are already a few available.

Back
Top Bottom