Political and politically incorrect humor

viC9S.jpg

Saed, but true. Too true. Especially the first and the last one.

053112.jpg

Sorry, must be a local reference, I don't get it!!

He could have meant the american self-defense thing (wasn't there a young man killed by someone who thought he should defend himself from black-skinned, hooded young man ?), too ... Although it would be highly cynical, then ...

scc120529_color.jpg

weyant_-__mortar_boa.jpg

060212.jpg
(they want to make it illegal to sell "sugary drinks" larger than 16oz in NYC reference)

Nice, but I don't quite get #2.

Ah, yes, thank you. Yes, I should have thought that.

Here we have Bafög, but the situation becomes more and more similar.

In the end, it will be that rich people will profit from that, because rich people will rather be able to give their kids the needed money.

The result is simple : Poorer people who will most likely never be able to pay this money back will practically very unlekely be able to study.

And because rich people = "elites", at least in our "western" society, this means that the binding of university with money this way means that only elites will effecttively be able to study.

"Those who have will be given [even more]", as a German proverb goes.

Just recently my gf commented that my university student loan of 8000e is "big". I tried to tell her that in som other countries that is considered nothing.

My friend's sister recently graduated college with a degree in dentistry. She's now the proud owner of $270,000 worth of debt.

Here we have Bafög, but the situation becomes more and more similar.

No it doesn't really. Even after the introduction of study fees in some federal states in Germany, studying in Germany remains dirt cheap compared to the US (see JDR's debt reference). Studying in the US can easily cost tens of thousands of $ if you go to a decent college/uni.
The linked document from the German Academic Foreign Agency quotes $12K - 16K annual fees on average for the US, ranging from $2K per year for a community college to $33K per year for a graduate study course at a university.
Our German €0.5K fees per semester completely pale in comparison.

The US educational system is also very achievement-based in my personal experience. You do not necessarily have to be rich to afford a good college/uni. The alternative is to be smart and work hard (starting in High School naturally). Then you might end up scoring a scholarship worth thousands of $ for a decent education.
It's still a bit unfair, of course, since the dumb, rich, lazy kids just need the dinero and you as a poor kid need to work your ass off to get on the same level but it is not entirely true that only rich kids can get a decent education. They are in a better position for sure but the possibility of a high ranking scholarship is open to everyone.
If you are poor but talented and very active in High School, getting excellent grades and partaking in lots of activities from the Speech & Debate Club to Economics to Sports etc. you have a pretty good chance to get a scholarship for a decent college.

Compared to other countries it is cheap, yes, but I was comparing the situation in Germany with the situation in Germany, so to say. ;)

Back
Top Bottom