Obsidian Entertainment - Hoping To Work With EA/BioWare On Star Wars

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
RockPaperShotgun has a new article on Obsidian, and how they still want to work on another StarWars RPG.

We now live in a world where The Sims: Star Wars or Need for Speed: Tosche Station could become things. I’m not saying it’s likely (though the former would not shock me in the slightest), but Star Wars is under new management, so who knows? For now, all we can say for sure is that BioWare, DICE, and Visceral are actively adding their own chapters to the space opera, but we won’t see results from those initial efforts until at least mid-2014 – and much later, in all likelihood.

You’ll remember, however, that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II developer Obsidian also has a rather ambitious idea floating around, and – last we heard – it was about to lay it before the greatest Sith Lord of them all: Mickey Mouse. So then, what happened there? And where does Obsidian’s new Star Wars RPG end up now that EA’s pulling the strings? I got in touch with Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart to find out.

First up, Disney. Turns out, the developer never actually ventured into the hallowed halls of the House of Mouse. The reason? Things were simply too unstable at the time.

“As for Disney, we didn’t end up talking with them directly, since we were waiting to see what might happen with the license as a whole,” Urquhart explained to RPS.

Now, however, all the pieces have fallen into place, and Urquhart’s ready to see if there’s room for Obsidian in EA’s master plan.

“We are certainly going to try,” he said. “We would love to work on another Star Wars game, and if it was possible for us to hook up with BioWare and EA to do so, that would be pretty amazing.”
More information.

Because I like Obsidian, I hope they don't. I will be forced to either not buy an Obsidian game or to finally install EA's stupid client. Neither choice appeals to me.

If that game would bring enough cash to make Obsidian into a similar company CDprojekt is with it's own independant publisher, then I'll be happy if the game gets made.
If however EA will screw them up on metacritic fabricated score as happened with FNV, I'd say Obsidian, please do not go for it.

At least with TOR ea, knew their reputation with origin sucked and allowed retail dvds to be sold. So while you did have to have an Registered account, it was not necessary to install origin software.

The only reason I put aside years of boycotting ea to play TOR, but the laugh was still on me since the game sort of sucked. :biggrin:

My gut = Obsidian != Big on sales = EA not too interested.

My gut = Obsidian != Big on sales = EA not too interested.
Dont you dare destroy my dream Dart.:p It can still happen and Bioware still has TOR. I can't see a new StarWars RPG from them for at least a few years.

It's only a guess ;)

Maybe EA can "overlook" that Obsidian tends to develop somewhat more exclusive games that don't sell all that well.

Dungeon Siege 3 probably did ok? Not really sure - but that's pretty mainstream for Obsidian.

Of course, New Vegas sold like hotcakes - but I think that was because of Fallout 3 more than anything. EA might not be smart enough to realise that - as they probably focus on numbers.

Could happen!

Here's what's going to happen. EA will decide they want Obsidian to do a Star Wars action RPG with a strong multiplayer component. So, they'll buy Obsidian, shut it down, and ship the developers to work on the game as Bioware employees.

Back
Top Bottom