What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Mmmh... I don't know, you might like it after all. My friends all loved it and I'm pretty sure they thought I was weird for not raving about it. I can't say I didn't enjoy it, but there were certain parts I didn't enjoy, as stated.
The avatar is a 'total conversion' of Link. I needed a picture of a Nagai child for a Star Wars campaign a few years ago, and young Link was a good starting point.

I doubt it--I like epic battles and all, but I'm not fond of ponderous, over-the-top dialogue reconstructions that are historically out of place. Your review chimes in with several other negative ones I've read.

The avatar is very well done and vivid. And not even creepy. ;)

300 was very entertaining mags, you should give it a rental.

BTW: the makers never claimed that it was accurate historically, it was based off the graphic novel of the same name. I actually watched it twice and that's a rarity for me.

Last edited:
300 was very entertaining mags, you should give it a rental.

BTW: the makers never claimed that it was accurate historically, it was based off the graphic novel of the same name. I actually watched it twice and that's a rarity for me.

So how corny is the dialogue? Is it worse than Gladiator? If it's meant to be a bit exaggerated I guess that would be okay. I really do like this period in history, but I hate it to get all soppy.

I wouldn't call the dialogue any worse than your typical action movie. It can get a little corny, but it didn't ever get distracting for me. I agree with JDR that it's worth a rental. I probably wouldn't have recommended it to you for the theatre.

Due to timing, the Mrs and I had to take in The Ruins last night. I probably went in with a bad attitude since I had been disappointed by the book. The movie wasn't much better. They changed the story in a few major ways, but I wouldn't say that the changes made much of an impact. Barely worth a rental.

So how corny is the dialogue? Is it worse than Gladiator? If it's meant to be a bit exaggerated I guess that would be okay. I really do like this period in history, but I hate it to get all soppy.

There hardly is any dialogue apart from "This is Sparta!", "We are Spartans!", and "Uhhhahhhhh!". The movie itself is pretty terrible... well, guess it's a matter of taste, but I found it a bit too trashy, even for popcorn cinema...

Last edited:
I... I just saw... the trailer of... of... Appleseed Ex Machina. I'm afraid I won't be able to sleep now, I'm still in awe...
Has anybody seen it yet? Is it any good (apart from the visuals, I mean)?

The internet is SOOOO mean. The list of movies/series/OVAs I absolutely want to have is getting longer by the minute.

It was not instant classic for me, but good enough in term of combat and nice visuals, but less intriguing story (recycled stuff from other SF movies/animations). Somehow i think the previous one (2005) is slightly better.

Pity... the other two were okay, but not great. - But, hey, I can live with this. I still want it :).

Carver (2008)
===========

If you think no horror movies could get bloodier than the "Hostel," think again. You have to wonder how far filmmakers would go to push the boundary of gore. But more importantly, while the film doesn't offers sophisticated plot, neither an original story and predictable sequence with group of victims get slaughtered by another group of hillbilly in yet another remote place, the scripts and dialogs however are well written. And the good acting shown by the actors involved certainly didn't hurt either.

The film's ending also quite good, but that's rather subjective. The most memorable part for me is the second toilet scene half way through the film, and geez, it's the most dirty toilet bowl i ever seen in any movie (and in real live). Even more digustingly, some dude said "f*** it" and proceed to use the toilet - i really didn't felt pitty when that guy got his balls "busted".

Nope. They're not this time. Oh wait, probably they are, just that cannibalism isn't the main tool to scare you. And early on, some dialogs involved rattlesnake on menu, not sure it's a joke or not.

There is dominant present of one guy doing all the killings.

Since my wife loves Bollywood film's I get dragged to some. I saw Race last week, definately not a typical Bollywood Film. Sort of what Quentin Tarantino would do if he worked in India.

There's enough English in the movie for those who don't understand Hindi/Urdu etc. to be able to follow the story.

Shaf

I've seen the Hogfather: 3h of Terry Pratchett's humor. Don't expect the very same humor as in his books, but it's more then reasonably well done. Still I would like to hear from someone that hasn't read the books previously. I suspect that the movie will mean less for such a person.

Last edited:
I've been watching The Bridge to Terabithia, sort of a weird movie. Pretty sad, but it has lots of layers. It's kind of the 'movie without a home' because it was based on a kids book, but it's not really a kids movie. It took me two viewings to really start to appreciate it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398808/

I wanted to hate that movie... It didn't work.

watched Kung-Fu Hustle w/ my tigress, we thought it was freakin awesome!

I saw that back when it was in the theaters, it was quite entertaining.

Saw Jumper at the dollar theater last night, it was a lot better than I thought it would be. Hayden Christensen has come a long way from his Anakin Skywalker days.

Has everyone here seen No Country for Old Men? I can't recommend it enough, it's an absolutely phenomenal movie.

Has everyone here seen No Country for Old Men? I can't recommend it enough, it's an absolutely phenomenal movie.

I looked that one up, JDR and added it to our queue at Netflix--sounds interesting and the first I'd heard of it.

I know I'm late to the party on this and pretty sure it's been discussed already, but we caught Beowulf while we were down with a bug this weekend--have to say it was well-adapted to our not very conscious level, since we were both full of cold medicine and out of it, and the movie pretty much demands nothing except your presence. I enjoyed it at the comic book level it seemed to be aiming for, but I can't say it was as effective for me as a movie with real actors or alternatively, a traditional good animated (human-drawn) film. It had some good moments, though.

I've seen No Country' really good, recently I've caught Persepolis and The Orphanage - all of which are good.

I looked that one up, JDR and added it to our queue at Netflix--sounds interesting and the first I'd heard of it.

Whoa!! It won the the academy award for best picture and this was the first you heard about it?? Trust me, make it a priority to see this movie.

Lay off the cold medicine for this one though. ;)

Back
Top Bottom