Witcher 3 - Xbox One DRM and The PC

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Eurogamer has a new article with CD Projekt Red on the DRM of the Xbox One. I like how the company responds to the topic.
"It is a good question," CDP co-founder and Joint CEO Marcin Iwiński told Eurogamer yesterday, "and, to be perfectly honest, we are eager to find our more ourselves.

"We have not received anything from Microsoft until today on this one and, before we form any definite opinions here, we would like to have this process explained in details by the platform holder.

"From our side, we will be of course looking for the most gamer friendly solution."
"We do not know anything definite, nor have we received any firm guidelines from Microsoft," responded Iwiński.

"Having said that, we strongly believe in the freedom of choice and voting with your wallet. I would disagree that it would do any good if we decided to abandon one of the platforms, especially when we have the capacity to create games for it.

"We have no influence on the decisions of platform holders, neither Microsoft's or Sony's, but there is a platform where we can decide what we think works best for the gamers, and that's the PC. "

The Witcher 3 will be the first game CD Projekt has simultaneously released on three platforms - The Witcher 2 appeared first on PC and then a year later on Xbox 360. "What it means for gamers is the previously mentioned freedom of choice," he said.

"I am sure that a lot of gamers will choose one of the consoles for its convenience and easiness of use - that's fine, and by doing so they will agree to whatever rules the platform holder will impose.

"What I can, however, guarantee here and now, is that if you want the 100 per cent DRM-free experience you will have it on the PC, the platform where we set the rules for our games. The Witcher 3 will be available 100 per cent DRM-free on our digital distribution platform GOG.com, and that's one thing I can confirm."
More information.

CD Project Red is now officialy my favorite gaming studio. I will buy every game they make. Even if its a game i'm not sure of, i will still buy it just to support them.

CD Projekt 'zigged' when practically the entire world 'zagged' and it's starting to seem like an enduring marketing strategy - especially when seeing the outrage by people about all the DRM stuff involved with the next Xbox (and rightly so). They have created a strong brand recognition by simply NOT doing something - a rare thing. So far I haven't played any of the Witcher games because they're really not my kind of RPG... but I have bought both W1 and W2 to support their company. W3 seems like it just might be more up my alley...

I'm right with you, MG. I'm also a big fan o f Larian. Even though Dragon Commander doesn't sound like my type of game, i will buy it to support a great company. Both of these companies have built up a tremendous amount of equity with me.

Ah I wish I had the finances that allowed me to buy-to-support as well. I got W2 because I liked W1 even if I didn't play the former much because the combat was really not to my taste. I will still probably nab W3 even if I'm not optimistic about the combat but I can't afford to get both Orig Sin and Dragon Commander just to support Lar.

Times like these make me consider just selling out :D

Ah I wish I had the finances that allowed me to buy-to-support as well.

All you do is go outside and pluck a few $20 bills off your money tree outside right? That's all I do. :p

I appreciate their stance on drm, if they do make the rules for the PC version though I really hope they make a proper pc ui a rule.

The ui, especially the inventory was brutal and it would be nice to be able to remap ALL the keys. While they are at it, let me do it in game as well.

TW2 felt like a step towards consolization despite being released for PC first. I hope TW3 isn't another step in that direction.

if you want the 100 per cent DRM-free experience you will have it on the PC
This.
No uPlay, no Steam, no Origin, and no internet access needed to play the game when on holidays somewhere on an abandoned island.

I am well aware this is a marketing scheme. However, it's one I don't mind supporting by tossing my money their way. I'll pre-order The Witcher 3 on gog.com, no doubt about it.

If they were that dedicated to the DRM free scheme, they would not release on XBOX one.

XBOX one is a game changer though. For the past decade, studios have been cramming in poor or unrelated online features in order to try and justify an online connection so that a DRM through online connection is implemented.
XBOX one relieves them of that burden. They can now concentrate all means on the SP dimension, the MU dimension or keeping the current course. The requirement is on the side of the hardware now.

If they were that dedicated to the DRM free scheme, they would not release on XBOX one.

XBOX one is a game changer though. For the past decade, studios have been cramming in poor or unrelated online features in order to try and justify an online connection so that a DRM through online connection is implemented.
XBOX one relieves them of that burden. They can now concentrate all means on the SP dimension, the MU dimension or keeping the current course. The requirement is on the side of the hardware now.

It is for this reason that I'm not 100% sold on the PS4. While playstation might not not have any ridiculous DRM, that doesn't mean publishers might not severely limit the game contents without an activation code. I foresee a continuation and expansion of day 1, on disc "dlc" that will probably leave you with a small shell of a game without activating it.

I won't be buying any next gen consoles until I see how things play out for at least a year.

Their reasoning is fine with me. They are leaving it up to the customer to decide for which platform to buy TW3. Fair enough.
And let's face it: You have to be a double-dumbass if you even have to make that choice. Dumbassery no. 1 is buying a Xbox One and dumbassery no. 2 is buying TW3 for the Xbox One instead of another platform :biggrin: .

It is for this reason that I'm not 100% sold on the PS4. While playstation might not not have any ridiculous DRM, that doesn't mean publishers might not severely limit the game contents without an activation code. I foresee a continuation and expansion of day 1, on disc "dlc" that will probably leave you with a small shell of a game without activating it.

I won't be buying any next gen consoles until I see how things play out for at least a year.

The same thing can happen for PCs, no difference with Playstation.

The interview snippet sounds to me a bit as if CDProjekt felt a bit "tricked" by Microsoft, too ...

The same thing can happen for PCs...
It can't. On PC there are indie titles that don't give a damn about DRM scandals.

XBOX one makes the situation clear on that one: developpers are fully relieved of the burden of seeking DRM protection schemes by themselves. Any policy like half baked online features for an essentially SP game is up to their responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom