Dead State - Early Access Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
DoubleBear Productions has a new update on Steam about the Early Access demo.

Many of you have astutely noticed that Dead State: The First Seven Days, our Early Access demo of Dead State, is slated to be released tomorrow. Right now, this is still our plan, although we may be forced to delay a day or two if any unforeseen obstacles arise. Either way, we want to clarify how we anticipate the launch process will work in advance of the demo release.

We have a large backlog of backers and pre-purchasers who are our first priority for generating and sending keys. We're going to do this as fast as we can, but we cannot guarantee everyone will get their copy right away tomorrow (especially since it can take up to a day to receive approval for a new batch of keys to be generated through Steamworks). Since this is our studio's first time ever releasing a game on Steam and generating/distributing keys, the process could be a little rocky. We really appreciate you all bearing with us while we get everything sorted out, and you give us through Friday to get keys out to everyone. If by Friday you still don't have a key and you haven't heard an update from us about our progress, then feel free to reach out to us here on the Steam group discussion board here or our own forums.
They also posted another update about the demo being delayed.

After another round of testing the Early Access build, we ran into one new crash that affected a frequent weapon effect in combat, and another that affected the attack menu GUI at a common resolution. We needed to fix these and re-test the build – that was done, and now the build needs to be packed up and uploaded to Steam. Then we need to test the Steam build from a fresh install and make sure there are no new issues from a clean install.

Unfortunately, this build probably won’t get up in time to be put up tonight.
But here’s the thing – we could have put the build up last week or even today. The reason we held off was to polish our work as much as possible and make the EA build feel like a complete game. Yes, it’s still an Early Access game, but we didn’t think crashes or other major progression issues would make for a good experience for our backers and everyone else who bought the game early.

Tomorrow, the game will be released. In the meantime, stop by our forums if you’re new to the game and need answers or check out the manual we posted here: http://www.deadstate.doublebearproductions.com/demo/manual.pdf
More information.

Gives me a twitch when he refers to it as "the EA build". ;)

Just received the update that the mails with the keys are being sent and may take 1-2 days until they arrive.

Received 30 Minutes before my posting.
Dead State is going on Steam in a matter of minutes. We're going to be sending out the codes for KS backers and Pre-Orders as fast as we can. Email server limits and issues may prevent us from sending them all out at once, but we will process them until we're done. If you don't get a code right away, don't worry, it's coming. If a day or two passes and you still don't have a code, message us and we'll see what we can do.

Bought it. Kinda underwhelmed. Been watching this game for quite a while and the stuff that's not implemented yet along with the very brief bit of content makes me wonder what they've been doing for months.

UI is a bit clunky (no drag and drop for inventory is ... wtf). I like turn-based combat but it feels very rigid and basic here.

Has potential. I wouldn't be in a rush to check it out if you haven't already paid for it.

Got a key but I'm not stopping M&M 8 to play a game that isn't done yet, lol. As per usual, I'll be giving it a whirl after it is officially released, plus 3-4 subsequent patches.

Well, it's a very early beta/alpha so I didn't realy expect much though I agree about wondering what they did all the time. But honestly I thought that right from the beginning. First stuff I heared about this game was way before the kickstarter project and there was already not much progress to be seen. That's also why I put the minimum into it.

However I think the controls are ok, not good. Drag and drop some kinda exist, but it seems it doesn't work everywhere.

Feels like a point/click adventure with the usual dreadful pixel hunting, ugh..

Are you supposed to be able to finish any quests or even do anything in the demo? Doesnt seem that way.. But there's also no explanation of how to do anything (e.g how to team up with someone or even fix something etc). I probably just havent found the right pixel to click to be able to continue ;)

Also i have no idea what sex the characters are, the names does give some kind of indications i guess, but i'm sure "Joel" can be both male and female, no? Maybe it's done that way on purpose, too many crazy feminists out there who demands these type of things nowadays..

Feels like a point/click adventure with the usual dreadful pixel hunting, ugh..

Are you supposed to be able to finish any quests or even do anything in the demo? Doesnt seem that way.. But there's also no explanation of how to do anything (e.g how to team up with someone or even fix something etc). I probably just havent found the right pixel to click to be able to continue ;)

Also i have no idea what sex the characters are, the names does give some kind of indications i guess, but i'm sure "Joel" can be both male and female, no? Maybe it's done that way on purpose, too many crazy feminists out there who demands these types of things nowadays..

The did say they were releasing the full manual and they recommend you read it as there wouldn't be an in game tutorial yet.

I'm guessing its on steam but haven't looked. I'm waiting on this one since I think it will take them quite a while to finish and fear they won't ever fully finish.

Hrm, played an hour now and didn't have any problem. Didn't need a tutorial.
The only thing which might not be visible at first look is that you need to run at the highlighted section of the map so that a map icon appears. From there on you can travel. These guys tell you right away that you should go to town to get some tools.
When you come back you go sleeping and get the task for the next day - fix the fence. If you listen to the radio, you also hear something about burgers and you can visit a fastfood restaurant - and of course you can just run around and discover new places a little similar to Fallout 3 / Skyrim.

My first impression is quite good actually. But it's far away from being a finished game.

It was something like two months since I last played a video game. Had found none worthwhile even the install.
I decided to give that demo a try.

Must be because of being without seeing a game that I found that surprisingly this demo is impressively poor. I must have forgotten the current standards.

Hard to believe the game has been on developpment for nearly two years now.

People who are active on other forums will be well advised to promote the early access version so the studio can collect more funds. They need them.

Maybe the story is extra heavy and the developpment time was soaked by all the minute details.
Maybe the map is huge and it took long time to modelize all of it.

I thought that for a game of that budget, the turn sequence "ugoigo" would be the correct one. Zombies are key for this kind of games and not every game manage to do well. So far, no zombie pressure.

Even creeping on a zombie is difficult because of poor functions. Encumbrance is not implemented.

So little is implemented in fact.

Back
Top Bottom