NWN2 Second Expansion?

Neverwinter Nights 2
G

I'd think that it is quite likely that there will be another expansion for
NWN2. It has been quite succesfull for a CRPG so far, hasn't it?
So it would make sense from obsidians point of view to do another.
What do you think?

What would you guys like it to be about? Where, when and why :D ?
Related to the OC plot or not?

Also, post any rumours/info - official or not - here.

It's hard to say - I haven't seen sales figures released (other than the NWN series total cumulative). I'd guess that if the original NWN2 had surpassed 1M, they'd have released a press release, so I'll assume it was under. I still think it was profitable but not wildly so.

I think they will assess the profitability of the Adventure Packs and possibly concentrate on one or the other.

True.

But one must also remember that expansion packs are much cheaper and faster
to produce than an entirely new game. Much cheaper and faster. And I'd guess that the it does not even require the attention of the entire nwn2 team... some of the people can be working on something entirely different.

I'd like to have an expansion pack that has nothing to do with the original plot. Not that I hated it or anything but It'd be cool to have something entirely different.

I'd like to see something really... strange. Lot's of high-fantasy stuff and weird creatures, events and places. Deep plot of course.

The epic stuff is... a bit silly in a way. And everything gets too messy.
Swords with +839 enhancement, findind 200.000 under a rock, every little goblin
carries powerfull equipmet etc etc

If we get a second expansion I'd like to start at level1.

Yes, "Expansion Packs" not "Adventure Packs" made by third parties (basically mod(ule)s you have to pay for, right? ) .

Screw epic levels. Beholders. We need beholders.

I can't even get into this one--I think I'm Neverwintered out.

However, assuming someday my life stops being dominated by The Witcher, I'd also prefer the next expansion to be a lower level one--I can't imagine going on and on to level 40. How powerful does one need to be--especially when everybody else is just as powerful? I'd rather see a cool story and...Deekin!

The thing with D&D is that once past level 10 or so, it's basically more of the same -- you scale up your powers and you scale up your world, leaving you pretty much where you were only with fancier pyrotechnics.

I really like the sound of the Planescape trilogy in that the first episode only takes you to level 10. That must mean that they're actually paying attention to the gameplay possibilities offered there, instead of treating it as a grind to get you up to scratch for the "real stuff." (Compare with the NWN2 OC -- IMO the game only actually really started when you were framed for the slaughter at Ember; everything up to then was pretty unimaginative whack-a-zombie to level up.)

Yep, so why did I cop so much flak for my slightly negative review of the game? While I like MotB better, it's still not inspiring me!!

I can't even get into this one--I think I'm Neverwintered out.

I think this sums me up.

MotB? Better than the main OC for NWN2 to be sure, but still no desire to play it more than once. A second expanion - not interested at all right now... and that goes for additional pay-for modules as well.

NWN2 will always conjure up the thought of wasted potential for me. And that's a hard thing to get over when considering future projects with the franchise... especially when things like The Witcher are breathing new life into the genre.

To me it's NWN2 + MOTB that conjured up some cautious hopes that
we might still actually get some decent real CRPG's even though the
90's has gone :D

Ah... the 90's... that magical decade where games, music, movies and books were good. Even pop-music was tolerable (not listenable... just... tolerable.)

NWN2 and MOTB are not in my personal all time top 10, but they are solid games and I really hope that the Neverwinter Nights series continues and evolves.

Some NWN1 mods are very very good - Aielund for example.

I'm really enjoying MoTB. Best atmosphere and storyline I've come across outside of planescape or the early gothics. Top marks to them for deviousness - "Let's reuse some maps we've already set up and make it black and white, but rather than everyone feeling ripped off if we call it The Plane of Shadows it'll be an excitingly atmospheric location".

I like the epicness of it too actually. Okay there's not many points where my character suddenly becomes noticeably more powerful, but there's a good range of spells and abilities to draw on all the time so things become a bit more strategic. Plus the items are more interesting even if the marginal improvements are minimal.

Well MotB did sell out at Amazon over here, so either they messed up the distribution (unlikely, heading to Christmas) or it's actually done quite well. I think it deserves to - IMHO it's the game that NWN2 should have been from the start.

The ending is pretty final though, so I'd expect any future expansions to start afresh.

I'm just about done with the OC. I'm a bit burned out on it, though I love the interface. I, too, would love to see some expansions where you start out at a low level. Most of the mods I've seen, that are finished at least, are short adventures, not full fleshed stories.

There is one group (or maybe one guy!) doing a complete remake of Ultima VII, part 2 in NWN2. I've looked at his site and it looks promising. I'd definitely play that one!

MotB? Better than the main OC for NWN2 to be sure, but still no desire to play it more than once. A second expanion - not interested at all right now... and that goes for additional pay-for modules as well.
It's funny how different people can be. For me, looking back at NWN 1, I hated the OC and both of the official expansions, but I loved the modules. Even the ones you had to buy. In fact, I'm replaying Kingmaker right now, and it's still a great module a few years after the fact.

That's my expectation for NWN 2. I couldn't stand the Original Content. (Official Content? Whatever OC stands for.) MotB is OK, although to be honest I've not finished. What I've played is good, but the high levels don't inspire me. Then along comes the Planescape trilogy, and now Mysteries of Westgate, and I find myself VERY much looking forward to them. For me, I buy the official stuff just to get the engine, then I play the unoffical stuff because it seems better. I don't know why. I'm not sure that objectively it IS better, only that it meshes with my entertainment needs better.

Back
Top Bottom