Bioshock - More Articles

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Three Bioshock articles to point out today, with two Australian entries. First, Internode Games Network has a preview in the guise of an "official" government warning:
Rapture
This advice has been reviewed and reissued. It includes new information under Summary and Safety and Security. The overall level of the advice has been upgraded to Do Not Travel to Rapture.

Rapture Overall Travel Rating
Do Not Travel To Rapture

Summary
* We strongly advise that if you currently have plans to travel to Rapture that you revise those plans immediately. There is extremely high risk of terrorist attack in Rapture possibly targeted at tourists and there is the potential for civil war to break out any day. There is a strong possibility of high level serious crime being committed.
* If you are currently located in Rapture we recommend that you consider leaving. If you decide to remain in Rapture then you do so at your own risk.
* Currently there will be no further government assisted removal of citizens from Rapture due to the increased security risk.
* It is a possibility that while travelling to Rapture you could encounter genetically modified humans. They are to be avoided and to be considered extremely dangerous. It may be difficult to identify such people from external appearances. The creators of this city have attempted to make "super human" people through genetic modifications. [more]
Game Informer writes about Five Things You Should Know About Bioshock:
3. Options galore
When Irrational Games said you can play the game as you see fit, they really meant it. The amount of options available to the player is almost overwhelming—in the best way possible. After being exposed to Adam and Plasmids, which give our main character superhuman abilities, combat moves away from simply bashing things with a wrench or shooting them with guns to a free-form exercise in creatively making the most of your surroundings. When we met up with that Dr. Steinman fellow, our encounter included setting him alight with our pyrokinetic powers, then zapping a pool of water to electrocute him when he tried to extinguish the flames. We hacked a health station to poison him and then finished him off with a shotgun. We could have done any number of other things, too, including using our telekinetic abilities to hurl exploding barrels at him or setting pools of oil (and him) on fire. When you encounter roving security droids, you can destroy them with your firearms or hack into them and have them do your dirty work for you.
While it lacks the traditional inventory structure that most RPGs share, BioShock definitely has a lot of other RPG elements. Character customization is deceptively deep, with players gaining new abilities and passive powers. If you’re not good at the hacking sections, which center around a Pipe Dream-like minigame—you can upgrade your skills and make it easier. Weapons can be upgraded, reducing reload times or increasing ammo capacity. There’s even an invention system, allowing players to develop their own ammunition. Most importantly, these character variations are all valid choices; there aren’t any gimmicky, one-time-use powers.
...and an interview at IGN AU with lead designer Joe McDonagh:
IGN: how much controversy was there in the office over the idea of being able to kill off Little Sisters. Do you expect a public outcry?

Joe McDonagh:
We don't expect a public outcry - we don't want one and we're not looking for one. How did we feel about making it? Amazingly challenged, because that's exactly what we want people to feel. It was quite interesting because originally, the Little Sister was just a little bug. Nobody cared, because you can't relate to an insect. You can't understand or appreciate or feel anything for an insect.
More information.

sorry to dash your little sister killing dreams but you won't be able to shoot them in the game.

Is it just me or is the hype for this game dying down lately? Not necessarily a bad thing, of course, since when it's released it will fulfill most expectations.

I think shooting little sisters would make it illegal in Germany.

I remember I built and ran an orphanage on this NWN PW I was playing on and for the next week everyone thought they were a genius by threatening it and burning it down.

Children characters in violent video games is a sensitive topic to say the least. One of the reasons Descent sold so well is because you were blowing up robot space ships; you weren't faced with the ugly imagery of gore splattering everywhere.

sorry to dash your little sister killing dreams but you won't be able to shoot them in the game.

Are you sure about that? Everything I've read so far points to that being one of the moral choices you must make in the game. Do you kill the LS to get the ADAM or not? I'm not sure about shooting them though but it can be reasoned that if you can kill them then you should be able to shoot them espcially since the Big Daddies go out of their way to protect them.

Maybe they'll have the Politically Correct version for Germany and anyone else that has a problem with it. We're all adults and for anyone to think this is too difficult a subject to aproach should remember the fact that we are adults capable of making our own decisions. If this subject is too difficult then don't buy the game. They're making Sonic RPG now, which should be a better game for anyone that thinks this subject is too difficult.

Ouch :(

:EDIT:
What *I* would love to see is Germans getting a dumbed down version where when you press the trigger to shoot LS's you get a full motion movie with the PC dancing with LS's singing "kumbaya". And then BD comes in and complains about German covernment...

Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya!
Oh, Lord! Kumbaya!

Mwhahaha! »:)

just for clarification..here's hoping you can't in any version of the game.

The podcast interview with the dev revealed that there will be no direct in-game violence perpetrated on these so-called "little sisters". A key game element will be harvesting the genome from them, but it will be done in some supposedly "tasteful and respectful" fashion. Which seems funny anyway since were talkin 3d models here who have no feelings.

Seems to me that it's going to be a matter of a spacebar tap and menu option of Harvest?, then your total collected will flash on the screen, or something of that nature.

I think you can harvest All, or Part. If you take All, they die!!

i think that would be more sick Corwin. sucking just enough adam to keep them alive...looks like you would make a good vampire after all though;)

Back
Top Bottom