Deus Ex 3: First details

Remus

Antihero
Unfortunately it's not good news; the new game seems straying even further away from the original game.

Perhaps controversially this time around combat won't be influenced by stats, but will rely purely on your personal marksmanship skills. Instead stats will influence "a vast array of fully upgradeable and customisable weapons", and you'll be able to tailor your arsenal to your play style with mag upgrades, scopes and other add-ons.

What's more, stealth will now rely on a cover system rather than shadows, and damage will be dealt with by a very Call of Duty-style auto-heal. There's probably going to be some debate over those two.

Augmentations have been bumped up and sound fantastic. 20 have been promised for the final game, ranging from 'bungee jump' tentacles that shoot from your back and anchor to a wall when you jump off a building, and the ability to punch through walls to grab enemies in neighbouring rooms.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198546

In anticipation I ordered last week deus ex 1 GOTY & 2 and project:snowblind (all new&sealed costing total 15eur). The last one is a deus ex spin off and is said to be better than the sequel. I have played deus ex before but not with mods - they are said to make it worth replaying.

In anticipation I ordered last week deus ex 1 GOTY & 2 and project:snowblind (all new&sealed costing total 15eur). The last one is a deus ex spin off and is said to be better than the sequel. I have played deus ex before but not with mods - they are said to make it worth replaying.

Project: Snowblind was considered by some to be a spiritual sequel to Deus Ex, but it's not a spin-off, nor is it connected in any way to Deus Ex.

I wasn't even aware that Deus Ex 3 was in the works. Any word on who the developer is? I assume Eidos is the publisher.

What's snowblind like then? What made Deus Ex so awesome for me was the story which was incredibly complex for a computer game and the gameplay was quite good as well. Deus Ex 2 wasn't as good but it's still better than average.

I wasn't even aware that Deus Ex 3 was in the works. Any word on who the developer is? I assume Eidos is the publisher.

Eidos Montreal is the developer. They have also somewhat blatantly hinted that they will probably make Thief 4 next.

What's snowblind like then? What made Deus Ex so awesome for me was the story which was incredibly complex for a computer game and the gameplay was quite good as well. Deus Ex 2 wasn't as good but it's still better than average.

Wikipedia link here.

Gamespot review here.

I have yet to find a review that explains the story, or if it's good.

Just click on the Wiki link, it explains the plot in detail. As to whether it's good or not, you're not going to get that from a review anyways. The game got mostly mediocre reviews, in the 7 to 7.5 range. Of course that doesn't mean you're going to like\dislike the story.

Project: Snowblind was considered by some to be a spiritual sequel to Deus Ex, but it's not a spin-off, nor is it connected in any way to Deus Ex.
Seems like they changed it:
In development the game was originally intended as a spin-off to the Deus Ex series of games, and the working title was "Deus Ex: Clan Wars". Eidos decided to change the name and storyline after seeing the market response to Deus Ex: Invisible War.
Ok so the story isnt connected but it does look similar to deus ex. It has spies, gadgets, united nations, boomsticks, terrorists, hong kong, fps style shooting and crouching in thight places: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/project-snowblind/screenshots/gameShotId,318933/

I have no expectations about this game but if it has any similarities with deus ex theres a good chance I like it as a light cyberpunk-action snack.

Som positive user comments:
You storm objectives with your fellow UN Security Force fighters while your commander occasionally barks out orders. “Defend this building!” “Man that turret!” “Blow up that tank!” You also have solo infiltration-type levels where you hack computers, shut off tripwires, etc. Most of it is nothing that you haven’t seen before, but it’s executed very well here. Levels are designed well, and the pacing of the game is perfect, so you can generally play for an hour or two without noticing the time go by.
Arguably the greatest strength of Project: Snowblind is that it provides a huge weapons and gadgets loadout along with levels that provide you with a variety of ways to approach each situation. Each weapon in the game is fairly useful, and so are the augmentations and grenades. Sometimes, it's fun to replay a battle more than once just to see how it turns out when you use different tactics.
One of this game’s best assets is its setting. It’s very easy to see the Deus Ex influence here, both in the visual style, and the story. The game takes place in the war-torn streets of 2065 Hong Kong, and at the very least, this should earn it some originality points.

Besides it cost only 3eur as new and sealed so Im not about to loose much if it turns othervice. :)

Last edited:
Besides it cost only 3eur as new and sealed so Im not about to loose much if it turns othervice. :)

Good thing you didn't pay much, I just tried the demo out of curiosity.

http://www.download.com/Project-Snowblind-demo/3000-7452_4-10381346.html

Needless to say, 7\10 was actually a generous score for that game. From the start you can immediately tell it was developed for a game console. The graphics, interface, sound FX, and controls all look and feel like a mediocre Xbox game. It's a good thing they decided not to attach the Deux Ex name to this game, it would only have dragged the series down even further than Invisible War did.

Its more shootery than dx but there are people who have liked it as it is - windows version from mobygames :
Summary
Great game! (Deus Ex in War)

The Good
# Fast action.
# Eye candy graphics.
# Breathtaking cinematics. (Best I've seen for a FPS)
# Realistic environments (rain, leaves, shots, explosions, etc).
# Great weapons and Bio-mods.

Unlike some of the latest FPS games the graphics are not the only aspect of this game you're going to enjoy.

The action is great (similar to Call of Duty) throwing you in the middle of battle, with explosions everywhere and your team mates running, shooting and dying.

The story is simple (like in most FPS games) but it's very well given by the NPCs that populate the game.

If you Liked Deus Ex (not the sequel... the original) you are bound to like the Bio-mods in this game and the extra fun of being a nanotech enhanced soldier.

The Bad
You have to take the bitter with the sweet...

# The objective marker (nobody is so dumb to need it)
# It's too easy at times (average gamer will complete it in a few hours)
# The HUD is too big even in 1024x768. You can tell they made this game "after" the PS2 and XBOX ports (I hope some day the developers stop doing that, it just ruins the game)
# The AI is not great by todays standards (at least not by mine)

The Bottom Line
Go get it if:

You Liked Deus Ex 1 and hated the sequel, Snowblind has some elements from the Deus Ex universe and it's a completely new game.

You Like Cyber Punks and FPSs with something more than just "shoot everything that moves".
You have an "up-to-date" system.
Mobygames xbox version:
The Bottom Line
Overall this is one of the better FPS of the Xbox. No easy task considering how abundant the genre is of the Xbox. And overall it is as good if not better than Deus Ex 2. And you can usually get this game for under $20 dollars. So give overrated Halo 1 and 2 a break a check this out.
I dont have a problem with dated graphics, sounds, controls or interfaces. I just finished call of duty1 and am about to do the same for wasteland so Im definetly going to give this one a chance unless thers a sudden influx of new cyperbunks fps into the market.

Overall though it might be too dated for most since it wasnt a good pc game to begin with and now its old too.

Last edited:
You Liked Deus Ex 1 and hated the sequel, Snowblind has some elements from the Deus Ex universe and it's a completely new game.

Whoever wrote that has an odd view of things if you ask me. Snowblind is a lot more similar to Invisible War than to Deus Ex. Just try the demo and you'll see what I mean. If you've ever played IW, you'll be reminded of it almost instantly, mainly how the interface is very consolish.

Back
Top Bottom