Dragon Commander - Previews @ GamingLives, Gamercast

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Here are a couple of E3 previews for Dragon Commander. From GamingLives:
The various trailers had suggested that the crux of the gameplay involved controlling a jet-powered dragon as it tore through the sky destroying enemies with fire and additional arsenal, but within mere seconds of taking my seat, I knew that this was going to be so much more than that. The first hint was that the booth walls were, quite literally, covered with concept art of perhaps thirty or more characters as well as a few creatures dotted around, and a game involving nothing more than a flying dragon would certainly not have had this much meticulous detail afforded to characterisation. The next clue was the initial map screen, with areas sporting various coloured borders and the suggestion that there was at least a degree of diplomacy within the gameplay. Already, this had transformed in my mind from being a meeting where I’d get to see something fun that would help while away the hours, to a game which may just be the most surprising revelation of the entire expo.
I wasn’t far wrong. For those of you who may not yet be aware, Larian’s Divinity series is steeped in fantasy lore and has always offered rich and immersive gameplay, although the mainstream gamer has never quite taken them under their wing as they have the other RPG franchises such as the Elders Scrolls or Gothic series. The beauty of Dragon Commander is that it sits astride several genres at once, offering not only the aerial warfare with the jet-powered dragon, but also full real-time strategy for controlling other troops in the gameplay arena, and a political-based RPG with heavy leanings towards diplomatic relations… and, just when you thought it had no more to offer, you discover the card-game element which drives the way you progress through the game. It’s actually pretty staggering when you see just how many different gameplay styles they’ve successfully pulled together to create one seamless experience, with no feeling of anything being shoe-horned in for the sake of gimmickry.
...and from Gamercast:
When you're ready to jump into a real time battle you can do so at your leisure from the tactical map ensuring to play any battle cards that you may deem useful, real time battles are your standard affair, we were not taken into length of the different types of buildings or defences, but to be honest the main focus of the real time battles was placed on the dragon that you can command like you're just out of Panzer Dragoon.

With control of the dragon you have full reign of the map to fly around, and the ability to shoot enemy units out of the sky, now of course your little dragon cannot simply gun down everything before him or we'd have no use for strategy, however it acts in a similar way to the use of Skye and her arsenal in the first person tower defense Sanctum. Suddenly that lone ship can be picked off without have to send your whole battalion of troops to its location, oh yeah and did I mention that the dragon wears a jetpack, so he can travel very very fast!
More information.

So Dragon Commander is a board game, political-RPG, dragon flight simulator, tower defense and card game all in one? It also have C&C and a skeleton bride with melons.

We are just missing the shooter genre here.

And surprisingly enough, press seems to like it! Seems to have been a good E3 for Larian.

From what I read so far, the people at Larian studios put pretty much their whole creative energy into this project, and they have the skills and manpower to transfer their ideas into functional software as well. I am very much looking forward to that one.

So Dragon Commander is a board game, political-RPG, dragon flight simulator, tower defense and card game all in one? It also have C&C and a skeleton bride with melons.

We are just missing the shooter genre here.

You forgot the other brides-

DC_Artwork007-620x.jpg

Back
Top Bottom