What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

some Belgium guy named jean cletus Van damned :) (joke from The Shield)

You're the first person I've seen say they didn't like Star Trek.

What is JCVD?

JCVD is the new semi-biography about Jean Claude Van Damme.

Actually, the movie in itself is "meh" - but there's a ~10 minute monologue near the end of it which is the most honest, powerful, and touching scene I've seen in many years.

Star Trek is Transformers in space - and I hated Transformers as well.

Also, I'm fan of a TOS/TNG - so when everything good about Roddenberry's ideas and vision gets violated over a buck, I don't seem to appreciate it as much as others do.

But I don't dress up like a Klingon or anything, I just happen to like what the show tried to do.

But I don't dress up like a Klingon or anything, I just happen to like what the show tried to do.
Then maybe you are missing what the relaunch is trying to do. Let go of old baggage.

Myself, I'm going to see the movie tonight and I'm psyched. :D

Star Trek is Transformers in space - and I hated Transformers as well.

Also, I'm fan of a TOS/TNG - so when everything good about Roddenberry's ideas and vision gets violated over a buck, I don't seem to appreciate it as much as others do.

So it's no Wrath of Khan eh? ;)

Yeah Transformers was terrible, even to the point of being insulting imho.

Then maybe you are missing what the relaunch is trying to do. Let go of old baggage.

Myself, I'm going to see the movie tonight and I'm psyched. :D

I'm pretty sure what it's trying to do ;)

Have fun, and I hope you enjoy it more than I did.

Terrible? I guess you guys don't appreciate top-notch CG when you see it? The CG was reason enough for the ticket fare. I was blown away by some of the scenes.

It might be because I don't see movies for the CG ;)

I appreciate well done CG, but I must have something in the movie that moves or affects me in a good way ;)

Just saw it. Liked it. Didn't particularly notice the CGI much, even though there was so much of it. That is to say, it wasn't really "in your face". As a movie, it worked for me, I'd love to see how a series would turn out, as there's lots of potential. I appreciated all the little nods to Star Trek fans of old.

I was stunned that they actually blew up Vulcan. That was almost too much to swallow, I loved that planet. The only thing I found worse is when they killed Data in Nemesis.

ST was great - this was actually Rick Berman's idea annd the the original cast had been fighting it for decades. That said, Rick Berman doesn't appear to have anything to do with the movie.

Let's face it - ST needed something like this after the monstrosity that was Enterprise.

I'm not a big fan of TNG until the last few seasons when the actors finally got comfortable with their roles - but by then they wanted to quit. This, of course, was long after Gene Roddenberry had been fired.

Getting back to the the ST:TNOS here's a review by the Onion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM

I just happened to see 'Catch Me If You Can' last night for the first time. Good stuff.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264464/

I read the book The Man with a Thousand Faces in grade 7 (later made into a TV series which is also loosely based on the book) so I couldn't watch Leonardo D Capria playing Frank W Abignail Jr. He makes it very clear in real life that he was able to get away with what he did because he was 16 and looked like he was 26.

I am curious if in the movie they showed the 6 months he spent in an unlit French dungeon prison where they once didn't change his bucket for a week or the spa treatment he got in Sweden?

Frank would go on to help rewrite most of the standards used to catch fraudulant cheque cashers until the computer era. It takes a thief...

Getting back to the the ST:TNOS here's a review by the Onion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM

Hilarious as always. Love the Onion News. :D

And yeah, Star Trek was great. Anyone who disagrees went to the movies expecting something totally different. :)

And just for the record, I'm currently watching, for the first time in my life, the Original Series of Star Trek, the one from '66, and I'm quite enjoying myself. It does show it's age, but it still good. Which proves you can enjoy both of them. :)

Hilarious as always. Love the Onion News. :D

And yeah, Star Trek was great. Anyone who disagrees went to the movies expecting something totally different. :)

And just for the record, I'm currently watching, for the first time in my life, the Original Series of Star Trek, the one from '66, and I'm quite enjoying myself. It does show it's age, but it still good. Which proves you can enjoy both of them. :)

Once you've watched City on the Edge of Forever and Space Seed - come back and tell me Star Trek is the best way to continue the legacy.

If you insist, I'm going to have to eliminate you :)

Once you've watched City on the Edge of Forever and Space Seed - come back and tell me Star Trek is the best way to continue the legacy.

Space Seed was indeed a great episode, but how can you not mention The Wrath of Khan?

I rented TWoK last week, along with The Search for Spock, because I wanted my GF to see some of the older Trek films before we see the new one. TWoK is still as incredible to me as the first time I saw it. TSfS unfortunately did not age nearly as well imo.

Space Seed was indeed a great episode, but how can you not mention The Wrath of Khan?

I rented TWoK last week, along with The Search for Spock, because I wanted my GF to see some of the older Trek films before we see the new one. TWoK is still as incredible to me as the first time I saw it. TSfS unfortunately did not age nearly as well imo.

Khan is a movie, not a TOS episode.

Here's two trailers that could make the same list.
The Machine Girl
Bruno. Bruno is Sacha Baron Cohen's new project. He's the guy behind the crazy Borat and Ali G characters. Crazy, hilarious and offensive stuff. :p

Yeah, that one for Machine Girl looked pretty crazy, someone actually posted that here a few years back, never did see the movie. I will definitely see Bruno though.

I just saw War, Inc. starring John Cusack. Good Lord, what an absurd, hilarious movie! :lol: I loved it.

Back
Top Bottom