Risen - vs Arcania Screen Comparisons

Ideally, both games will be so good it comes down to personal taste which one is better. However, that is fairly unlikely - one of them will probably be significantly better than the other.

Ideally, both games will be so good it comes down to personal taste which one is better. However, that is fairly unlikely - one of them will probably be significantly better than the other.

That is the thing, isn't it. It is fun to play at competition, to compare art styles, but if we have a comparison of a good versus a poor game, none of it matters. Hopefully both are really good and we can have entrenched wars about which is 'better and more Gothic-y'. :)

I just hope that the controversy makes both of them really raise their games a bit. There's so much at stake, not only will they get the respect going forward but whoever wins will have a chance of sticking the blame for the old games on their opponent.

I'm having trouble seeing why you feel the controversy is invalid. Sure, it would be nice to get two great games, no doubt about it, and that may happen. But one of them WILL inevitably be better than the other. So I don't see any reason why speculating which one that will be falls into the "nonsense" category. I don't even know what exactly a "psuedo-controversy" is, but I bet the internet snobbery elite invented the term for the sole purpose of raining negativity down on otherwise interesting threads. ;)

Of course, if you take *any* pair of games, one of them may be better than the other one.

And therefore you can start a thread in order to speculate, which of the two might be better.

But what is the use of that?

Of course, if you take *any* pair of games, one of them may be better than the other one.

And therefore you can start a thread in order to speculate, which of the two might be better.

But what is the use of that?

No use until demos prove it otherwise.

Well, in this case we aren't really talking about which game is better, even though it can easily evolve into such a discussion. This thread was solely about graphical comparisions, nothing more. You don't need a demo to sort that out. The screenshots show two distinctively different styles, and as it would seem from the comments, Risen is the preferred look. It's hard not to look at one component of a game completely out of context and not have it influence the way you feel about the game overall. So naturally, since most people prefer the graphics of Risen (myself included), we tend to conclude that it will eventually prove to be the better game, or at least the most anticipated of the two.

Such comparisions and/or falsely drawn conclusions may not be worthwhile to you or others, but really who cares?

to compare art styles,

Well, to me, that's difficult, since I at least try to look at every art style as - art.
A unique thing, for itself.

Really? Haven't you clearly expressed your preference for "light" fantasy (TDE) over "dark" (Dragon Age)? Why is it different here? They might be "unique" (actually, I think Arcania looks pretty generic, but, anyway...), but that doesn't mean your personal taste doesn't lean one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom