Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition for iPad Announced and More

I for one completely agree with that but I observe that having some of the latest tech for reasons other than just because everyone says is the in thing, is equally hard to understand.

I for one completely agree with that but I observe that having some of the latest tech for reasons other than just because everyone says is the in thing, is equally hard to understand.

Well I could write a longer post if you want.

Nah… Don't worry about it. What I really think is that we all keep going in circles with all the Apple arguments. I believe it'd be better if we just agree that those who have an iPad actually find it convenient and they are not just blind, mindless, zombie fanboys of a logo and those who don't want an iPad do so because they don't find it convenient and they are not just blind, mindless, fanatic haters of a logo. Let's just keep an open mind because we just end up insulting each other for absolutely no reason and no benefit.

Nah… Don't worry about it. What I really think is that we all keep going in circles with all the Apple arguments. I believe it'd be better if we just agree that those who have an iPad actually find it convenient and they are not just blind, mindless, zombie fanboys of a logo and those who don't want an iPad do so because they don't find it convenient and they are not just blind, mindless, fanatic haters of a logo. Let's just keep an open mind because we just end up insulting each other for absolutely no reason and no benefit.

I agree. So hows your day going. Enjoying the weather. I know I am cause I'm apple free. Sorry I'll stop there. Enjoy your day.:D

I get pretty pissed at the fanboy accusastions as well. I'd never had an Apple product until was assigned an iPhone for work - I was pleasantly suprised at the thought put into the UI design and put up my hand when they offered an iPad as well. That makes me some sort of slave to new technology?

Turn based old school RPGs could really take off on tablets, IMO. If you create a D20 system with a starter module, you could keep adding content. No need for millions of dollars spent on graphics and voice work. Put it on the App Store and charge $10. You'll get way more people willing to spend that than $50-60 on a PC game that needs specific hardware requirements, etc.

This is good news all around. I certainly didn't "need" an iPad, and waited until this generation to get one. It's a kick-@ss product. Keep an open mind and check one out. No you can't use it as an open source tinker-box, but that's not what it is. If more turn based old school rpgs come out on a tablet, console, Mac or PC, this is good news for dorks like us.

I don't like how propitiatory apple is. That doesn't mean they don't make good products because they do. I bought android first though so i'm not willing to buy apple and re-buy all my apps.

Back when I was growing up apple was more of a status symbol. "I bought an apple at 3 times the price you paid for yout pc even though it can do half of what your pc can do , so i'm super cool".

That mentality really turned me off of apple. I have to admit though that now their tablets are pretty nice.

Back when I was growing up apple was more of a status symbol. "I bought an apple at 3 times the price you paid for yout pc even though it can do half of what your pc can do , so i'm super cool".

That mentality really turned me off of apple. I have to admit though that now their tablets are pretty nice.

It's a wrong mentality though. You bought a mac that was more expensive than a pc so that you could have a computer guaranteed to do its job without worrying about hardware and software compatibilities, constant need to upgrade, viruses etc. etc. There's a reason why macs are so popular with creative people - designers, musicians etc. - they need to work on powerful computers but aren't trained to know their inner works as well as a professional pc user. It's also true I suppose, that such people also appreciate good design more than numbers, but even so, it's not just about being cool, it's about being safe.

That's what I'm saying. You need to see past the logo.

Just because something is trendy, doesn't mean it's not a good product. Heck, even my 60 yo mom is a convert to the iPhone and she fought tooth and nail the whole way! Here I am right now speaking into my phone to type this post on the message board, awesome.

iTunes is shit and the last thing I ever want to do is plug my iPhone back into it. However, thankfully there are alternatives to managing your music and such.

Last edited:
Turn based old school RPGs could really take off on tablets, IMO. If you create a D20 system with a starter module, you could keep adding content. No need for millions of dollars spent on graphics and voice work. Put it on the App Store and charge $10. You'll get way more people willing to spend that than $50-60 on a PC game that needs specific hardware requirements, etc.

This is good news all around. I certainly didn't "need" an iPad, and waited until this generation to get one. It's a kick-@ss product. Keep an open mind and check one out. No you can't use it as an open source tinker-box, but that's not what it is. If more turn based old school rpgs come out on a tablet, console, Mac or PC, this is good news for dorks like us.

If it was so easy why wouldn't they do that on every system and not just tablets? What makes tablets so much cheaper than any other gaming console or PC to develope for. Plus, why would they need to do voice work and such when they have like 20 games they can port first before making a single new one?

For starters, a fixed 1024x768 res (for the standard iPad / iPad 2) and fixed hardware. Second, an environment where lo-fi graphics are not just acceptable - they're expected.

Just as long as we won't see the effects of tablet gaming for PC products. The increasing popularity of consoles already played a big role in dumbing down RPGs and making some genres extinct, so it can be the same with tablets.

Just as long as we won't see the effects of tablet gaming for PC products. The increasing popularity of consoles already played a big role in dumbing down RPGs and making some genres extinct, so it can be the same with tablets.

That's my biggest concern and fear. It always happens.

This is definitely my concern as well. Ipads and tablets are yet another simple, more casual device with a much larger customer base with shorter attention spans and desire for instant gratification. When developers begin to give in to the temptation of "easy money" that can be gained by making "streamlined," simplified, casual-themed games instead of making more meaty games that take advantage of the qualities of the PC platform, it's yet another blow to the rapidly dwindling PC market.

Old-school-inspired games are not immune to the perils of tablets either; in order to fully take advantage of two very different platforms with completely different interfaces, two different games would essentially need to be designed and developed separately, which wouldn't make much sense from a logistical perspective, meaning that the PC version would once again play second fiddle - this time to a tablet instead of a console.

As many have said before, the tablets are ideal for turn based and such slower games that require strategic thought. If such games start getting more popular on the pc because of the tablets I would not complain. As for all the casual games that everyone seems to fear will dominate, they exist already on the pc as free flash games, I see little chance of them attracting more attention they already have. If anything I see a tendency of old pc games being ported to the tablets instead of the other way around.

Better tell that to all the people falling over Legend of Grimrock.

I was making a generalization; I don't feel that every ipad enthusiast has casual tastes or tendencies, just as it wouldn't be fair to say that every console-only gamer exclusively plays watered-down shooters and straight-forward, overly simplified action games. But as far as generalizations go, the enormous size of the ipad/tablet market, the inherent differences in tastes between the average PC user and tablet users, and the differences in U.I.s compared to a standard PC is alarming.

This is definitely my concern as well. Ipads and tablets are yet another simple, more casual device with a much larger customer base with shorter attention spans and desire for instant gratification. When developers begin to give in to the temptation of "easy money" that can be gained by making "streamlined," simplified, casual-themed games instead of making more meaty games that take advantage of the qualities of the PC platform, it's yet another blow to the rapidly dwindling PC market.

Old-school-inspired games are not immune to the perils of tablets either; in order to fully take advantage of two very different platforms with completely different interfaces, two different games would essentially need to be designed and developed separately, which wouldn't make much sense from a logistical perspective, meaning that the PC version would once again play second fiddle - this time to a tablet instead of a console.

The thing is, many of us iPad users who gave up on the PC due to lack of funds for upgrades or outdated hardware or malfunctions or other reasons, would love meaty games and just as meaty as PC games to finally make an appearance. Your logic doesnt apply to me at all personally. I just have the inconvenience of PC gaming not the actual games. I hate dealing with software bugs, updates, GPU driver issues, etc.

Back
Top Bottom