Skyrim - Why Fallout: New Vegas is the Better Game

Skyrim never really left an impression with me. I logged about 80 hours on the game, so I can't very call it a bad game can I, but it has no place among my top 20 games, maybe not even top 100. The scaling, while nowhere near Oblivions abomination, was still obvious. Killing a dragon at level 4? Come on! Once the dragons became cannon fodder before me I lost all sense of amazement from the game, and just kept playing to finish. And I hardly remember the story.

New:Vegas I've yet to try, it's on my backlog though, I probably start playing it in the near future.

I didn't care much for skyrim. I mean at first it was neat open world. But then as I started to make decisions down the quest path nothing changed. I kept expecting some sort of change (at the very min change in how citizen reacted) but nothing happened. It was blah blah blah.

I liked F3, but because of gameplay and content, FNV had bugs, but content and story which was far more superior to F3 places obsidian's work higher than bethesda sandbox.

I remember Morrowind - time goes and my nostalgia is growing.
I remember Oblivion - there was cool graphics, interactions with chains and bucket in prison cell - it was WOW! - but then lvl scalling, repeating everything from quests, dungeons and gates of oblivion + dull story, lack of families (which were great for immersion) and these guilds where you can accomplish everything kill kill kill and become archmage,archthief,archslasher at the same time... blah blah blah

Skyrim? well better than oblivion - but bethesda do not know how let enough flesh air to the franchise.
Thats why I am worried about F4 - wish obsidian could do it without rush

Reality: as a player, you are instantly aware of just how indispensable you are. Nothing advances without your bidding. The game story writing is set to give you that exceptional feeling and as such, your progress toward the completion of the story is mandatory. Failure but terminal is absent. You will reign supreme in the end.

This is exactly what I thought. As "a mere courier" in FO:NV you choose the fate of the game world. Damn, I better treat the UPS guy better this year just in case!

Interesting article, and I agree. I've played Fallout NV, completely, twice and I've recently considered playing it a 3rd time. I have not even finished my first playthrough of Skyrim, though I just picked up some cheap DLC on Steam so that will soon change.

Part of the preference for me is that I just like guns and desolate survival better than swords and plush villages. But the other part is the overall setting.

Skyrim is, visually, the most stunning game I've probably ever played. However, it's dreary, and not in a lonely survivor kind of way like F:NV. Skyrim reminds me of Wisconsin with mountains. Since I really hate winter, running around in perma-winter never really appealed to me. I play it a couple of hours and I start getting Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Skyrim is just a pretty graphics demo to me. I put in about 60 hours wondering when I'd experience this 'immersion' 12 million people were supposedly having.

F:NV just blew me away with a tight story, tough choices, real consequences, awesome faction dynamics, thoughtfully designed world, engaging quests.

I'm a latecomer to the party since i started to play skyrim just before christmas ( I bought It one year ago but I've always had trouble enjoying Bethesdas games beyond the first sightseeing). Skyrim is actually the first game from B. that I've enjoyed, though I have no idea if I'm going to finish it. (I know what my wife would prefer...) Much better than oblivion but still feels a bit empty concerning NPC and followers.

Nice to hear about F3 NV on a positive note from the players here, realised that I had it on my steam library (no idea when I bought it, some sale probably got to my head..). Looking forward to it since I've enjoyed most of Obsidians writing.

Sorry for the OT and incoherent ramblings. 4 hours at IKEA and other shops with wife and 2 kids at 2,5 and 4 (I call my daughters Terrier and Bulldog) makes my head spin.

Well a glass of wine later tonight and continue the story of my imperial scout,deserter from the legion, who by means of tomb plundering, mercenary work and ingratiating himself to high society in order to create a new life.
Ok, well, maybe Skyrim got me a bit..

C

Skyrim's main campaign story was the weakest I have ever seen in a RPG.

I had a good laugh at the last two comments.

It's no surprise that I don't agree with this at all, but I'm fully capable of accepting that tastes differ. I also happen to think the games are obviously and deliberately going for very different things - so I'm not sure the comparison is useful or even that interesting.

Skyrim was much more enjoyable for me. Mainly because I like fantasy and swords over post Apocalyptic and guns.

Really though which is better steak or pizza? Oh screw it, they're both great.

Didn't like FO:NV too much, I think it was the world design itself that didnt interest me that much, it's not Obsidian's strong side (same can be said about KOTOR2 where KOTOR1 had a much more interesting world design).

I liked the different factions, that was done really well, but the rest was a kind of a "meh", including the story, while good it dragged on, i couldnt wait to be over with it. Didnt even play any of the DLC's that i had installed. New Vegas in particular was very sloppy and dull. Sometimes when i think "hmm, maybe i should replay it" and then i remember New Vegas…

Characters and story isnt Bethesda's thing, but they are the least important aspects in an open-world RPG imo, they do most other things really well and i'm enjoying Skyrim, so far, more than FO:NV. I should say i played FO:NV heavily modded including those overhauls for New Vegas.

Edit: "didn't like it too much", well at least i finished it, unlike 99% of all games i start playing.. so saying i "didnt like it" might be over exaggerating it...

Last edited:
On the contrary I enjoyed F3, but loved NV. I've just finished NV (Steam is showing 264 hours) with only a moderate number of mods - I had NV Bounties 1 and 2 installed and AWOP as well, but I barely touched the content in the latter. I enjoyed the more "cowboy" feel of NV, the overall story was a bit less cliche and yes the factions were much better, especially the enigma of who Mr House was. Apart from a few dodgy exceptions, the quests seemed better quality too - far less black and white than F3, I really agonised about certain decisions. DLC was fine although OWB and DM didn't integrate hugely well into the existing game - the former was a bit too silly (even for Fallout) and DM felt like a different survival horror game, although I liked the challenge.

I haven't tried Skyrim yet, I wanted to have a run through all the TES games starting with Arena (if I can stand the interface/controls...)

I haven't tried Skyrim yet, I wanted to have a run through all the TES games starting with Arena (if I can stand the interface/controls…)

Never played Arena or Daggerfall, but I think Skyrim is a great introduction to the series. It's not the sort of sequel where you need to have played the previous games to enjoy the story.

Actually none of the TES games really require you to play the others, as they really tell a different story each time.

As for fallout new vegas, it was more a mod of FO3 since they walked into a working game already they could basically work on story, quests and content...something lost on a lot of people.

Back
Top Bottom