The Witcher 2 - vs Dragon Age 2 @ GameZone

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Another one of those silly "versus" articles with GameZone setting out to compare The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2:
Let's face it - neither The Witcher nor Dragon Age: Origins were winning any awards for their looks when they were released in 2007 and 2009, respectively. Dragon Age: Origins was especially lambasted by critics for its outdated looks and the near-comical blood spatter that covered NPCs after every battle. The Witcher, meanwhile, was built on a heavily-modified version of BioWare's Aurora Engine - the same engine used to build Neverwinter Nights in 2002. So, how do the sequels look? CD Projekt has ditched the Aurora Engine and built an entirely new one for The Witcher 2 and it shows. While Geralt of Rivia's world is still dark in tone, it is also more vibrant. Spell and lighting effects have improved, character models are more detailed and the monsters you encounter are far from the standard orc and goblin fantasy fare. Dragon Age II's graphics engine has also been improved, though the game remains as blood-soaked as ever. Ferelden seems to be less washed out, judging by the few screens and videos released so far, and character faces appear less craggy. Ultimately, though, it's still the same engine with a new coat of paint. The Witcher 2 is being rebuilt from the ground up, and has the potential to be one beautiful RPG.
More information.

The guy was obviously biased towards Dragon Age in this article and is more like a "How is Dragon Age better then The Witcher" article. A big part of that is in the story section where he says that he liked the characters in Dragon Age and didn't like the characters in The Witcher and then proceeded to only talk about Dragon Age.

PS. This type of article is supposed to be about comparing the games and about briefly mentioning one game and then going on and on about another game. (it was a little more then brief for The Witcher but the majority was still about Dragon Age)

How is Dragon Age 2 better then The Witcher 2 ?

Dragon age 2 advertisement vs development investment ratio is extremely higher

If you are responding to my comment I was talking about how the article was portrayed and not a personal opinion or fact.

PS. I'm not sure which will be better but my expectations for The Witcher 2 are much higher then for Dragon Age 2.

Dragon Age II has the upper hand when it comes to character creation simply because it offers the player more choices.

Only that you cannot be the bad guy and your choices have no consequences.
Nice try but so far TW looks to be superior , of course this has to be proven ; fun part is that most of people commenting below prefer TW.

I've never thought highly of GameZone to begin with, and that article just lowered my opinion of them even further. Their writing is amateurish at best.

If you are responding to my comment I was talking about how the article was portrayed and not a personal opinion or fact.

PS. I'm not sure which will be better but my expectations for The Witcher 2 are much higher then for Dragon Age 2.

I was not responding to your comment. Just joking about DA2

Is it really a question ?

Witcher 2 will be for RPGs what Guild Wars 2 is for MMOs

Just my 2 cents, but so far Dragon Age 2 looks to be vastly inferior to The Witcher 2, I bet even the cinematic sequences of TW2 will blow away BioWare's attempt to masseffectize Ferelden.

There seems to be more ambition behind witcher 2 project. But it is too early to say really. I just keep my fingers crossed that cd projekt red stays true witcher roots instead of dumbing it down to masses. Nowdays you can never be too sure. Atleast they seem to pc-friendly still, so thats a small comfort in all this madness.

As for dragon age 2, I remember the good old days when bioware devs spoke openly about dragon age orgins, and how it was meant to bring classic party rpg back in the spotlight or how it would define the genre like baldur's gates did back in the day. Luckily they were right and DAO turned out to be one of the best rpgs i've played and it moved the genre forward.

So yes I'm eager to play da2, but sadly all those sketchy marketing moves are begin to tire me. They just leave a bad taste in a mouth. I'm glad that I had bough Special edition of dao so I didn't have to suffer their agressive in-game advertisement campaign of Varden's keep. Nonetheless it reduced my joy a bit as well, knowing how low bioware had declined.

Step by step all the openness which bioware was famous of began to vanish. Nowdays we mostly see bunch of pr heads talking (like the biodocs) instead of designers or writers. David gaider and others still occasionally do interviews, but even they have to repeate the pr-team's mantras like loyal puppies.

And how about these various dragon age 2 versions. I remember the time when it used to be a special edition and a regular edition. Nowdays there are different collector's editions depending on the region or the place of purchase, special editions, regular editions, preorder's exclusive content, release day dlcs etc. I hate to miss a content no matter how insignificant that may be, but I don't want support this kind of marketing either. Its a dilemma to me. "Smoke and mirrors" is what describes ea's/bw's marketing plan best…

Dez, you nailed it about Bioware and there new ways . I would wish them a good luck with DA2 , but after they tried to rip off there fans with the Pre- order with out really any info on the PC edition. I hope the game sells bad with all the DLC bullshit I hope gamers get wise to their greedy ways. As for the Witcher 2, Its for PC Gaming,DA2=Console.

You know even with all my hate for bioware I will still buy both. Both games have there positive and negatives but in the end they still will be good games. Lets face it there isn't many rpgs coming out anymore.

Yep, I'll be getting both. Like I always say - we simply don't get enough good RPGs to be picky. I can't pass up either one.

I will get both but at the moment I am more positive about witcher 2 then da2. Simply don't like the dialog wheel and restriction to a human character that is happening with da2. But maybe lower expectations will mean da2 surprises me, I did like dao a lot.

Back
Top Bottom