Project Eternity - Post-Funding Update #61, In-game Art

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Obsidian has a new post-funding update with a new screenshot.

We showed you this concept that Polina Hristova had developed, back in Update #55:

And here is the in-game level--about to get violent--as developed by environment artist Sean Dunny:

pe-temple-skaen.580.jpg

We think it looks pretty good. Thoughts?
More information.

Lack of dynamic shadows looks a little odd (current lighting is baked in) but it looks incredibly good.

I IS EXCITE!

Lack of dynamic shadows looks a little odd (current lighting is baked in) but it looks incredibly good.

I IS EXCITE!
That's the difference between reality and art. ;) It might also be because the limitations of the unity engine also. Still I agree it's not bad.

Here is a larger version of the image - click to embiggen.

pe-temple-skaen-1660.jpg

It evokes such a strong Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale vibe. I'm very happy :)

High hedge keep from baldurs gate anyone? :p

I IS EXCITE!

They had character shadows in update 49, so I assume that is temporary.

The level of detail is fantastic

- The wooden structures flanking the door (bottom left corner of image) have candles beneath them. You can actually see individual candle flames.
- There is a sarcophagus or marble altar to the right with a runic "X" emblem on its side. It appears to be draped in leather hides. It's possible to make out the stitching.
- A wooden table with implements of torture can be seen at the top.

The art style is masterful. I can't even imagine how this scene would look in motion :drool:

Yes, level of detail is beautiful.

Looks impressive.

They had character shadows in update 49, so I assume that is temporary.

Well Josh Sawyer had this to say in the Obisidan forums during the new update:

How will the shadows/lighting work in the final product? The environment is gorgeous, but the conflict between the apparent lighting of the scene and the way the character models are illuminated makes the latter seem out of place.

The character models only have one shadow cast from the scene's directional light. Per-character point light shadows (especially multiple point light shadows) would get computationally expensive very fast. The characters are lit using dynamic lights placed in scene, but real-time lighting is never going to perfectly match the pre-rendered lighting of the scene.

Yeah... umm... <sigh> I hate to do this, but you've asked us, so here I go:

You've stayed very true to the concept art, and that I love. Still, in my probably not so humble opinion, the final in-game render is somehow lacking in the shadows department. It seems all tad to bright, and that takes a bit of mystery from that particular scene

The stronger/less diffuse our environment shadows are, the more difficult it becomes to place characters in the scene and not have them stick out. We tended toward relatively diffuse shadows in the IWD games for that reason as well.

Thanks Dr. A. Upon closer inspection I can see what you and the people asking these questions are referring to. Well, I hope it won't stick out too much. Ideally they would allow an option to enable additional shadows for higher end rigs, but that may be asking too much from a KS funded game.

Looks more than fine to me.
Some trade offs will have to happen obviously, but if the quality of the final product is even across all locations and up to the standard displayed here, I will be perfectly satisfied…

Thanks Dr. A. Upon closer inspection I can see what you and the people asking these questions are referring to. Well, I hope it won't stick out too much. Ideally they would allow an option to enable additional shadows for higher end rigs, but that may be asking too much from a KS funded game.

Single character shadows adds to the charm :)

The character models only have one shadow cast from the scene's directional light. Per-character point light shadows (especially multiple point light shadows) would get computationally expensive very fast. The characters are lit using dynamic lights placed in scene, but real-time lighting is never going to perfectly match the pre-rendered lighting of the scene.

The single shadow does add depth to the scene and makes the characters stand out. It's just too bad that dynamic shadows can't be added as an option for systems with more compute power.

This is shaping up to look like exactly the game I was hoping for. The art is fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom