Fantasy Wars: Elven Legacy - Ranger Expansion Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
PR straight from Paradox Interactive:
E3 2009: Elven Legacy: Ranger Expansion Announced!

E3 2009 LOS ANGELES – June 5th 2009 – During E3 Paradox Interactive announced an expansion pack for Elven Legacy, the Fantasy Strategy Wargame for the PC developed by Russian studio 1C: Ino-CO. With the announcement, Paradox also revealed new facts, features, and screenshots.

Expanded Storyline
The Order of Marcus, long dormant in its isolation, is expanding. The renowned ranger Cornelius, armed with his spear and trained in the arts of subterfuge, has been tasked with preparing the world of Illis for the coming of the order.

New Features
Ranger Cornelius possesses a holy spear that can apply special powers to his attacks. In Elven Legacy, each unit's operation could only be performed once per turn - one move and one attack. Ranger Cornelius can now use special attributes of his sacred spear without losing his turn. For example, he can activate a paralysing stroke and then throw the spear at the enemy. The enemy unit will not only suffer damage from the attack, but they will also be unable to move during the enemy’s turn.

The order of completing the missions will now affect future events in the game. There will be only one final ending, but there are several ways to reach the finale.

Additional new features in Elven Legacy: Ranger:
• 16 new missions
• 3 new heroes
• 5 unique artifacts
• 12 new spells

Elven Legacy: Ranger is an expansion for the war game Elven Legacy. Elven Legacy: Ranger is scheduled for release in Q3 2009 through all major digital download outlets for a suggested retail price of $9.99 / €9.99.
More information.

If the length of previous missions is any indication, 10$ for 16 new ones is going to be one great deal.

I'm looking for a fun turn-based game since finishing the most recent Fire Emblem game. If I enjoyed Fire Emblem as a strategy/RPG hybrid, would this be up my alley as well? (the main game -- I know that this article is about the expansion pack)

If the length of previous missions is any indication, 10$ for 16 new ones is going to be one great deal.

I completely agree - consider me sold.

I'm looking for a fun turn-based game since finishing the most recent Fire Emblem game. If I enjoyed Fire Emblem as a strategy/RPG hybrid, would this be up my alley as well? (the main game -- I know that this article is about the expansion pack)

I don't know - unlike in Fire Emblem I never really cared for the vast majority of units. Whereas in Fire Emblem I'd replay missions to prevent people I cared about from dying, in Elven Legacy I'd only replay to get a better rating and open up bonus areas.

That said I found it fun - not up to King's Bounty, but still solid turn-based stuff.

Would you do this or King's Bounty first? I wasn't playing anything on the PC for awhile, because I was trying to justify the DS purchase and get used to the kind of games we were making on the 360 -- but now I have learned about decent fantasy turn-based SRPGs, and I want in.

I sucked but completed Shadow Dragon. I'm prepared to suck but complete either of these.

You could also get a PSP and play some cool stuff there ... but PC & DS is good for most strat-RPG's ... ;)

I would choose King's Bounty 10 times out of 10 over Fantasy Wars & Elven Legacy. And GamersGate has it on sale for ~$12 this week

Would you do this or King's Bounty first?

Definitely King's Bounty. As much as I like both games, KB is just much more fun.

Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy is basically Panzer General (or, more specifically, Fantasy General) with newer graphics, and that includes the unforgiving difficulty. But if that isn't a problem, and you wouldn't mind replaying a mission to get a better score (=do it faster) or not lose a particular unit, then you'll have fun with it.

Would you do this or King's Bounty first? I wasn't playing anything on the PC for awhile, because I was trying to justify the DS purchase and get used to the kind of games we were making on the 360 -- but now I have learned about decent fantasy turn-based SRPGs, and I want in.

I sucked but completed Shadow Dragon. I'm prepared to suck but complete either of these.

Can the 360 play Xbox games? if so, do yourself a favor and get Gladius (and turn off the 'meters'). Best fantasy SRPG I've played, well, along with HOMM3, and maybe King's Bounty. HOMM5 was good too (avoid HOMM4) . Then there are the Disciples games (not as good, but playable), and Age of Wonders. For the purists there's also Dominions, but I could never get over its complexity. Some people like Battle of Westnoth (or something like that), but it's too old-school/raw for me.

Thanks for the recs! I'm picking up King's Bounty at the special sale, and I'll dive into that, then see if I'm eager for more pain.

(Because really, I am terrible at these games. I always send the cavalry off to be dashing and heroic, and it always ends poorly for the cavalry. In Fire Emblem, I think the Pegasus Knights winced whenever I clicked on them. "Yes, Patrick, we know that you can get us to the end boss in a single turn, and yes, we could probably take him, even... but everyone else in the world would pounce on us! So don't do it!"

In Fire Emblem, I think the Pegasus Knights winced whenever I clicked on them.

Hehe ... I felt like I restarted a million battles in the original GBA game because of doing silly stuff like that.

Can the 360 play Xbox games? if so, do yourself a favor and get Gladius (and turn off the 'meters'). Best fantasy SRPG I've played, well, along with HOMM3, and maybe King's Bounty. HOMM5 was good too (avoid HOMM4)

That gladius looks good. Turn-based coop rpg! I ordered it allready. I believe it will work on 360 - xbox games usually do.

EDIT: The game is not 360 compatible (last chk 5/2008). I managed to cancel the order. Damned.

It doesn't show up on the LIST, so I would be cautious ...

It's not a well-known game, but totally awesome. (Didn't sell well since it's turn based). Instead of the typical japanese strategy RPG (like Disgaea and stuff), this is not based on you grinding. It was made by Lucasarts, has a great story which you can play actually twice from two different hero's perspectives. As far as strategy, it's also great in that you are the head of a gladiator group. Each town you travel to has different sets of tournaments, each with different requirements and objectives, so you first have to decide what combatants are more appropriate to that battle. Then you have the rock/paper/scissors of heavy/med/light infantry, plus archers and magic users (and some other interesting units). Then you have positioning, height, and elemental usage. Add to it that you can learn and raise skills and buy inventory for each combatant in your troupe and you have a very complete experience.
It also came for the PS2 (not as good graphics as the 360 version I heard).

Back
Top Bottom