Drakensang - Gamestar Summary @ Drakensang.info

but now Alrik, a fellow defender of all that is good and rightous, is here and immune to that old gag).

ROFL !!! :D

PST had character creation. The Kotors had character creation. At the very least let me chose the abilities of the character that I will be forced on me. If I can chose the archetype, why can't I choose the advantages/gifts/etc/ect of the character I am forced to play in the adventure game? How would that possibly hurt or effect the story of the adventure game?

1. PS:T & KOTOR are both based on variants of the (A)D&D system (I almost wrote "engine").

They have FAR fewer choices and possibilities for characters are TDE has in its 4th edition.

With the 4th edition, you can basically create HUNDREDS of possibilities - just due to the possible mix of archetypes PLUS "professions".

2. Not all advantages, gifts etc. will ever be used, because some simply make no sense in certain situations, and Drakensang cannot be expected to include ALL possible situations ! I mean those which include a certain "check" or roll for certain abilities or disabilities.

You can already see this with the number of spells. Some don't always make sense.

I don't know any RPG that makes rolls in the mountains whether a character is able to climb. Startrail did so. A character could actually fall down from the mountains.

Or rolls for swinning. I don't remember any cuurrent C-RPG that has even water in it. And even more: The need to swim through it.

So, now since no current C-RPG does it - why should Drakensang implement it at all ? Cynically spoken.

Of course, I want more micro-management, but right now no-one develops that because everyone believes that it won't sell. It's as simple as that.

The only possibility you have is saying with your money that you don't believe it will sell without any micromanagement. Or buy it later from the "bargain bin", so to say.

And as you can see here they were actually at one stage thinking about implementing "real" character generation.
Since this is an english forum maybe better take the one from the english dev diary, I made at least some translations that one could get an insight.
PST had character creation. The Kotors had character creation.
Though I love PsT, it's a CHA/INT/WIS only game. Class selection has no influence on the game, combat feats have no influence because most situations are solved via dialog. The only thing that matters is optimizing the mentioned character attributes above and you win the game. Everything else is like changing clothes, it doesn't matter if you wear bluejeans or leggins. But we hope for Drakensang, that every single skill makes sense, that it is usable and not only for decoration, because the rule set told them it has to be there.

KotOR for me is the archetype of a streamlined game story to fit to all possible character combinations. But that's my personal opinion, I don't expect everyone else to share this opinion.
How would that possibly hurt or effect the story of the adventure game?
Sure, it would not hurt the game. It would only cost time and money to implement it. They draw the line and cut this one, because they thought it would be a thing they could leave out or maybe even had to leave out.
You can also choose the "Expert-Mode", then choose an Archetype (which only consists of the modifiers of race/culture/profession, then spend your normal 110 GP and finally spend your (Cleverness + Intuition) x 20 Talent-GP.
Speculation. There is no proof, that you will be able to choose your advantages/disadvantages and your character feats (I'm using the D&D term in this case). At the moment I would only say that you will be able to adjust your talents. Everything else is doubtful.
I don't know any RPG that makes rolls in the mountains whether a character is able to climb. Startrail did so. A character could actually fall down from the mountains.
Climb is based on checks for bravery, strength and agility. Instead of implementing a talent for a single climbing situation you can also make dice checks for the attributes in the background and give a certain bonus to the checks instead of taking the ones from the talent.

To explain this for the rest, I give you a pen & paper example:

A character wants to climb up a hill. Normally the game master asks you to make a check for climbing. So you roll you d20 three times. the first roll is for bravery, the next one for strength and the third one for agility. Your goal is, to have rolls that are below the value of your character attribute. If so, everything is ok. If not, the value of your talent comes in. Let's say, your climbing skill is 6. So you have aditionally 6 points to pass the checks for climbing. When your bravery is 15 but you roll 16, you can counterbalance it with one point from your climbing skill. For the other checks remain 5 more points.

Every talent, every feat in TDE is based on such attribute checks. So if a feat is really needed in a single situation, you can simply make the attribute checks alone.

Last edited:

Or rolls for swinning. I don't remember any cuurrent C-RPG that has even water in it. And even more: The need to swim through it.

So, now since no current C-RPG does it - why should Drakensang implement it at all ? Cynically spoken.

Of course, I want more micro-management, but right now no-one develops that because everyone believes that it won't sell. It's as simple as that.

The only possibility you have is saying with your money that you don't believe it will sell without any micromanagement. Or buy it later from the "bargain bin", so to say.

Grimoire has both and if you don't have sufficient climbing skill you fall and if you can't swim you drown!! :) I just know you all wanted to know that!!!! :biggrin:

LOL :D

When do you get your official mark "Press speaker for Grimoire" ? ;)

In Oblivion, there is water. And you will need to swin in it, you want to solve some of the quests in Oblivion. I don't know why developers feel they need to put water in an rpg?? though. To me, water and climbing skills belong in action/adventures such as e.g. Tombraider.

Daggerfall did have climbing skills, though??

edit:

Drakensang sounds like a game I'll be keeping an eye on, the same goes for Grimoire...

Last edited:
To me, water and climbing skills belong in action/adventures such as e.g. Tombraider.

Why ? Because the cliché says so ?

To me, an RPG should ideally have a variety of landscapes - of course, with modern "sandbox" games (no pun intended), this is getting rather difficult.

I could imagine a whole C-RPG that takes place ONLY within a huge mountain-range. Or within a desert (Al-Qadim anyone ?).

Gothic 1 partially had kind of hills and mountains as well. And I didn't have the feeling as if they were disturbing.

Back
Top Bottom