Wizardry 8 - In Fear of Little Naked Winged Women

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Bonus points to Jay Barnson for the great heading as he continues his journey through Wiz8 at Tales of the Rampant Coyote. Here's a bit on his current situation and read on for some commentary on the design:
Most of my party is now around 10th level. And I'm living in mortal terror of little naked winged women. Leaf Pixies, to be exact. But not all - they apparently spawn with different spell load-outs. The ones that were stalking me for hours may have finally de-popped after I spent an entire night hiding from them, huddled in a fetal position, praying they wouldn't discover me. I'd battled them about a dozen times, trying different techniques, and nothing worked. These things are FAST - once they spot you, they WILL run you down like the dog you are. And then they'll open up a can of fairie whup-ass on you.
More information.

Rock on! A few thoughts for you.
1) Buffs are king. You should have 5 spells running at all times: light, missle shield, magic screen, enchanted blade, and armorplate. As you progress, you'll have a few more options, as well as some in-combat buffs, but for now you simply must buff *clap* you up!
2) You will never, ever, in a million years figure out the easter eggs (those glowy runes in the graveyard, for example) without spoilers. The guys that figured it out used a trainer program to try every single item in the game's code before figuring out how that worked. You're not quite ready for the graveyard easter egg yet (generally ~ level 12), but let us know when you're ready for the spoiler.
3) You will find that, like in most RPGs, dealing with caster critters generally calls for a charge followed by copious amounts of blunt force trauma.
4) For the broken bridge, dealing with your sprite problem might prove helpful. Roll you a fattie and think green thoughts.

Magic Screen, huh? Dang, I gotta git me some of that.

I tried that strategy with the pixies, but due to initiative problems and the sheer number of 'em, I failed each time. Additional buffs might help. They'd die pretty quickly once I ran into melee range, but by that time I'd usually only have one strong melee character left who wasn't webbed up.

I did end up taking a peek at the walkthrough to figure out the first easter egg dungeon. I took it at level 10 and did pretty well. My bard gained about five points in lockpicking from that place. I'll be talking about it in my next post. While it wasn't the be-all, end-all or anything - and I can see why they left it as an easter egg - I had a lot of fun with it.

I can so relate to the hiding and quivering in terror. Even with buffs, it's very easy to come across things that exceed your ability to kill them. I relied heavily on the X-Ray spell to avoid every encounter I could while traveling--that seemed to be the riskiest part of the game for me--once you get to your destination, things are scaled pretty well in difficulty, but out on the open road, or just venturing off into the underbrush, it seemed like almost anything could turn up.

indeed they were nuts - and the noises they made! *shiver*

After leaving the monastary I was determined to go south first instead of north and managed to do it with great difficulty. Its not really a linear game but there are clearly areas you should try first.

I never found out about the oldskool dungeons until after I finished the game unfortunately. I've never played them.

Does Linda Currie still personally fix your save game bugs?

Fortunately, I have no saved game bugs to report thus far.

Back
Top Bottom