Blackguards

As to the Dwarf Games, yup they can be a real bitch, but if you have Niam with you (i.e. having 4 party members), it is doable. It took me awhile, like 6+ restarts, but eventually I made it through and it wasn't just pure luck that got me through. ;)

I haven't found anyone named Niam yet. Is that in Chapter 1?

Yes, just proceed with the main quest and you will meet her.

Just so you know, you will be able to return to previous areas later in the game.

Congrats to Daedelic on making a successful AND very fun game! I'm in act 5 now, I think with the finale battle left to do, and that's it.

I have to say the "trick" to win the 13th challenge was a bit of downer, because there were no clues, and I had to look it up on the forums….:(

The Dwarf games are doable in late chapter 1.

Any tips for that battle against the Lizardmen where you have to save as many of the fishermen as possible? I have no problem winning the fight, but not without heavy casualties among the refugees.

I always have some fisherman die. I'm not sure it really matters.

I usually close to melee as quick as possible so the will attack me and not the fisherman.

Is there a point to the companions personal weapons. They are already underpowered when you get them. I assume they don't ever increase in power as I'm in chapter 4.

You would think there personal weapons would be upgradeable or something.

For the lizardmen vs fishermen/workers stages…
You can't save them all as lizardmen throw poison spears on them plus birds will bomb some. I moved my whole party to the opposite side to draw fire on me and I had two healers in the party. I'm suggesting not to replay it many times - you'll get enough AP in the game anyway so nitpicking here for some bonus AP is pretty much counterproductive.

sakichop, no, those weapons can't be upgraded. However, the axe for example I left to be used by my dwarf till the end of the game. Yes, I found some other axes one was awsome and was doing firedamage, but… Mobhealing crystals are immune to fire damage. Some bosses too. So I tossed that one away and reverted to the less damage but at least dealing it his personal axe.

The few time I went back to shops they've had what I sold but I'm not sure if it's for the whole game.

Loot is not a strong point I've only found 1 kind of leather armor set. Don't want to take metal armor skills on my dual wield thief type but I might have to.

Items should stay in the shop you sold them to. I say should instead of do as I really didn't test if some will disappear and I did find a few bugs through the game (no healing at certain healer, no sleep at certain inn) so it could happen that items vanish in some trader.

Don't put metal armor on spellcasters and don't seek for diablo loot here. Dodge in this game is not a passive spec. ability ment exclusively for tanks. Everyone should have it. Level 1, nice, level 2, goody, level 3, it's christmas!
Oh and one more thing before anyone asks, spellcasters in TDE can use any weapon you want them to, but because of mana regen, I really don't see a point of taking anything except a staff with that effect in Blackguards. Sorta drawback, I played sword mastered spellcaster in drakensang - it was fun. There is IIRC a weapon called mage epee in Blackguards but I can't remember now what stats it had, all I remember is that I didn't want to waste AP on fencing weapons on my two mages.

Last edited:
OK, I've been playing the demo and there are some mysteries.

First, it looks like there's no way to turn the camera on these battles at all. Is that right? Because it has already been rather painful. It has pretty complex rules about line of site which is great but how am I supposed to be able to determine whether or not I'm going to be able to shoot something when I'm stuck looking at the side?

Second, the demo had me pick out starting equipment. I couldn't figure that interface out at all. It didn't seem to be charging me anything to pick out whatever I wanted. Then, after the very first battle ends, they took everything away anyway!? Seriously!?

Third, can I rest up and maybe do some healing between battles? Is there a way to do that sort of thing from the destination choice map? I really don't want to end battles by having my characters running from one side of the battle map to the other while the mage(s) recover magic points.

how am I supposed to be able to determine whether or not I'm going to be able to shoot something when I'm stuck looking at the side?

You can rotate the camera angle from the side isometric view to an overhead view with the mouse wheel.

can I rest up and maybe do some healing between battles? Is there a way to do that sort of thing from the destination choice map?

Yes and yes. You need provisions in your inventory, and then you can rest by clicking the tent icon at the top of the screen.

Ah, many thanks JDR! Those will both make a big difference. Maybe this is another one of those games where you actually need to <gasp> read the manual....

I played the demo for quite some time.

Really great game so far. But I have two questions.

1. Is ranged combat used for casting spells like fireball etc? ( if yes, does it determine chance to hit ? )

2. When does the game start to become a challange? I've played most of the first chapter on hard, and didn't come near to die even once.

The game is quite easy on normal too. The only tough bit I have found in chapter 1 was saving that Baroness on hard (its trivial on Normal).

I have decided to stick with Normal anyways. I don't enjoy switching between Normal and Hard while playing (feels like I am cheesing the game) and I think I'll take the warnings that this gets quite a bit more challenging (around chapter 3 ?) later on to heart. Don't want or have too much time to invest for the next few weeks anyways I am afraid (what with crunching at work and playing with my new toy... err soundcard at home ;) )

Besides the problem with very linear games like these is that if you indeed hit a wall you can't really go and do something else first and come back can you ?

Anyways, Normal is laid back pleasant fun. Perfect for a weekend morning ;)

The mechanics under the hood are similar to Drakensang. If you've played it, you don't really need to read the manual.

I played the demo for quite some time.

Really great game so far. But I have two questions.

1. Is ranged combat used for casting spells like fireball etc? ( if yes, does it determine chance to hit ? )
No, ranged combat is only used for bow and crossbow. Spells are magic.

2. When does the game start to become a challange? I've played most of the first chapter on hard, and didn't come near to die even once.
In that case you should play on hard and don't switch back to normal.
Maybe Daedalic has made it too easy now after all the complaints during the beta. The EA version was hard on normal.

With a few exceptions, Chapter 1 is really easy until the last set of battles. I'm in Chapter 2 now and the difficulty feels about right.

One more question, increasing something with 1 point, even if it'll not make it go to the next level ( I am talking for example about spells ) will still improve the current levels of the spell ? ( Chance to hit ? ) or will there only be a difference as the new level is reached ?

Back
Top Bottom