Borderlands - Hands-on @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Rock, Paper, Shotgun gets some time with Borderlands:
Playing the single-player version of Borderlands causes one single game feature to stand out. When you are reduced to zero health you have some time in which you bleed to death. This gives you a chance to revive yourself with a “second wind” by getting a kill. In the co-op part of the game this makes perfect sense, as it’s also an opportunity for your buddies to run over to you and help you up. In the single player game, however, there are times when there is nothing to kill, and no buddy to help you. You simply kneel there, bleeding to death. And it’s kind of heart-breaking.
This feature alone, I feel, demonstrates how Borderlands is meant to played with friends. Once router port-fiddling is defeated that’s easily done online by making your normal game an internet game, playing your own campaign, and then inviting chums when they’re available. We’ve had a chance to do that, and we’ve just finished the opening section of the game known as “Arid Badlands”, by playing through as a team.
More information.

I call bullshit. I would wait until more reviews are out before deciding not to buy it. No one has followed this game closer than I, and I have read many positive single player reviews.

Sounds great to me- what a great month for gaming with Risen, Borderlands, Torchlight and Dragon Age to follow
Any kind of strategy that invites people to play together in game is welcome rather than a game that you notice no benefits to grouping and simply blasting ahead by yourself is better

I actually like how death is handled where you have a chance of getting up but you can fail and then reload.

This game has been designed with 4-player co-op as a central focus. SP is going to be a pretty thin experience, I believe. I long ago decided that if it were only an SP game, I'd pass on Borderlands, because the RPG elements are so weak. It's only the fact that I can play with friends online that makes it worth purchasing, to me.

I actually like how death is handled where you have a chance of getting up but you can fail and then reload.

No reloading on this one; you get respawned (minus some cash) at the nearest New-U machine.

Meh..…. :(

This game didn't turn out to be anything like I thought it would be. I'm sure it will be a blast in multiplayer though.

I hope it's fun in multiplayer, though I'd rather Borderlands had been like a single player Gothic 2 in a future, not-necessarily-post-apocalyptic world. I'm not a big FPS fan, but my brother and I both like non-MMO co-op games, and since they're a bit rare, and this has at least a nod toward RPGs (well, you level up anyway…) we'll probably get it, hopefully on discount if we can wait.

Back
Top Bottom