GOG - King of Dragon Pass Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The classic adventure/RPG/Strategy/Sim mix King of Dragon Pass is now available for $5.99 from GOG:
When your tribe decided to settle down in the unexplored territories of the Dragon Pass, you knew they would need a strong, uncompromising leader to survive, so you stepped up and claimed the mantle of chieftain. With it came the responsibility of making countless decisions that shape the future of your clan, its neighboring tribes and--in the big picture--the world of Glorantha itself. Will you prove to be a leader just and brave enough to lead your people towards prosperity in this strange land full of magic and dangerous creatures? Will you be able to forge lasting alliances and win the wars against those who oppose you? Do you have what it takes to unite the clans and become the very first King of Dragon Pass?

King of Dragon Pass is a game like no other. It combines strategy, adventure, RPG, and civilization sim, but it focuses mostly on storytelling. Each turn the game offers you with a choice to make and the progress of the story depends solely on your decisions. The difference between right and wrong is seldom obvious, but whatever action you take, be ready to face its consequences later. There are virtually limitless ways the story can unfold, so each play-through--whether it's a quick game or an extended campaign--promises new adventures and plot twists!
More information.

This game looks neat. Has anyone tried it? What's it like?

I've come quite close to buying this multiple times.

And for all of the iOS haters out there ... you can get some solace that the PC version is $5.99 on GoG and the iOS version is $9.99 :)

I found it extremly difficult and a steep learning curve but once I got into it I found it very rewarding. Nice game to play on the train/bus to work since I played the iOS version.

This game looks neat. Has anyone tried it? What's it like?

I've come quite close to buying this multiple times.

I picked this up when it was released two weeks ago, and am still playing it every day. Like you, I had never tried it (or even heard of it) before, but found myself intrigued, as it didn't look like anything I had played before. And I was not disappointed. :) The game is indeed very different. I guess it could be described as a turn-based strategy game with role-playing and adventure elements, although such labels doesn't really go a long way towards describing it. For me, it was kind of a nostalgic experience, taking me back to a time when I could insert a floppy into my Amiga, and get a game experience unlike anything I had played before. Consequently, it was also a game I had no idea how to play well, but I count that among the advantages as well.

In terms of quality and enjoyment, I'd say this is a real gem. The perfect 5/5 score on GOG.com is no accident.

Kay

I played KoDP soon after PS:T and was sure we were in a gaming golden age.

Then I played some other games from 1999...

I played KoDP soon after PS:T and was sure we were in a gaming golden age.

Then I played some other games from 1999…

Yeah, we tend to only remember the good ones and forget the 90% * of them that were crap, just like today.

* 90%? Probably more like 99.44%.

I vaguely remember trying this (a demo perhaps?) when it first came out and being totally confused by it but it did intrigue me and it still does. I grabbed a copy from GOG last night and gave it a whirl.

Uhh, I really need to read the manual. This is not one to just jump in and play.

Uhh, I really need to read the manual. This is not one to just jump in and play.
Actually, that worked for me. :) It took me a little while to figure things out, but I was able to get a handle on most of the game by listening to the advice of the ring members, and reading all the screens thoroughly. It was just like in the good old days, when there were still games I didn't immediately know how to play (and win).

Kay

I'll pick this up on iPad. It looks interesting but I don't think it can crack my list of back logged games I already have on my pc.

Back
Top Bottom