101 Free PC Games

txa1265

SasqWatch
This was recently in 'Games for Windows' magazine, but is now on the 1Up site - not much for RPG-ers there, but anyway ... look here.

It's not hard to find free games on the Internet -- but it's damn near impossible to sift through the terabytes of crap to find good ones. That's where the editors of Games for Windows: The Official Magazine come in: We've tracked down another 101 absolutely, positively, no-strings-attached free games that are actually worth playing, grouped them into handy categories, and put most of 'em up on FileFront.com. There's something here for everyone, from RPGs to real-time strategy to Asteroids Flash games, though we have to confess up front: There are actually more than 101 free games here. So no complaining that you're not getting your money's worth.

If i didn't already have too many games on my playlist, I'd be downloading several of these, for laffs if nothing else.

If i didn't already have too many games on my playlist, I'd be downloading several of these, for laffs if nothing else.

That was what I was thinking ... but even the '10 minute time-wasters' got killed when I bought FastCrawl ...

Dang, here I was thinking that it would only be a bunch of Bejeweled, solitaire, and Mah Jongg variants and stuff of that nature. There's some stuff in here that even my elitist gamer self would play!

Yeah, there are a lot of really good free games these days, something that can only be applauded! It's a lot easier to make amateur games that in 1995 were only sold professionally these days! Really good to see, but there are too many now. :D Just check out the AGS website for an almost endless list of fun old-school adventure games.

I didn't see DX-ball 1 on that list. It's a freeware breakout-type game that's extremely well done, IMO. Laser Tank is another freeware title that I thought was a lot of fun.

Oh, and D.R.O.D isn't there either; that game is hands-down better than everything else on that list, IMO.

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewsitepage.php?id=68026

Last edited:
Here is a nice list of working open source games for linux and windows I think. It is from the freegamer blog. Open source means someone programmed it and then turned it over to you to play with. You are expected on some level to know how to mess with it, either criticize it badly, or program it somewhat, until it is tweaked enough to work.

Here we go:

http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2001/01/free-games-list.html

Here is a nice list of working open source games for linux and windows I think. It is from the freegamer blog. Open source means someone programmed it and then turned it over to you to play with. You are expected on some level to know how to mess with it, either criticize it badly, or program it somewhat, until it is tweaked enough to work.

Here we go:

http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2001/01/free-games-list.html

That's a bit harsh... quite often open source games are really well supported like Battle for Wesnoth.

Also that list is undergoing surgery. Working on it - will be better in a few days time!

I really enjoy your site a lot. I think the list is excellent. If you go through sourceforge, and try to make sense of what is there, or even fresh meat the linux site, it is very hard to make sense of what is being presented.

You have to be a bit harsh with the raw source sites like sourceforge. I like your freegamer site because it points out the sites which work out of the mish mash of sourceforge and other sites. The Battle for Wesnoth site is really well done, I agree with it. Some of the raw sourceforge sites don't work that well. There are some other exceptions like freedroid which is truly exceptional. Please finish the list it is really well done.

I like being a bit harsh and cantankerous.

Back
Top Bottom